Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Life insurance advice
  • damascus
    Free Member

Hi,

I’m now over 40, have a Mrs D and mini D and after a colleague found a brain tumour this week it’s made me think I need some kind of insurance. Sorry for the joyful subject!

I once looked at it when I was younger but as a keen rock climber it was expensive. I hardly climb anymore and when I do it’s usually indoors.

So, recommend me some insurance. What should I be looking for?

Who is a good company to pick?

Do I go for remaining mortgage cover or extra cash on top?

I have a good pension with a death payout but I’m thinking more along the lines of if I can’t work, how do I keep a roof over our heads?

Thanks

oldtennisshoes

Sounds like it’s more critical illness cover you are thinking about?

mattstreet

As above, sounds like Critical Illness cover or Income Protection insurance you’re after – LA only pays out on death and you have that within your pension.

First question is – does your employer have a long term sick pay? Some have insured schemes that will give you, say, 50% pay if medically retired until you hit normal retirement age. If so, you probably would only need to cover the mortgage.

footflaps

Do you get anything through work eg through pension / health scheme? We get critical illness cover insurance as part of the employee package and our old Pension scheme has 4x salary death in service built in.

nealglover
    Free Member

@damascus

I can help if you want to look into the options that fit what you need best.
    I have helped find and set up cover for a few people from STW over the last few years.

No obligation, I can just help you decide what’s the best option.

If you want to discuss it email me any time and I will be in touch

nealglover@lifesearch.co.uk

dannybgoode

@nealglover – I may be in touch as my situation requires a broker usually.

@damascus
    – my boss used to sell life insurance. The best advice he ever gave me (which I stupidly ignored) was for both partners to take there own cover so should anything happen to one or the other protection would still be in place for the surviving party. As for the amount – he would ask his s current ‘if you knew you were going to for tomorrow how much would you want to leave?’. This is the amount of cover you should take (assuming it to be affordable). And yes, look at life plus critical illness but be aware of the CiC definitions as they are more restrictive than they used to be.

nealglover
    Free Member

@dannybgoode

No problem, I deal directly with the underwriters over the phone prior to any application to discuss health/lifestyle/occupation or any other factors that will influence insurer choice.

Give me a shout whenever and can see what’s what.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Summit financial services.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Life insurance advice’ is closed to new replies.