Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • Life if your dog kills someone, a ban if your car does?
  • camo16
    Free Member

You get life, the ‘someone’ doesn’t.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

What if your dog attacks a car?

What if your dog attacks someone who is attacking you with a car [with open windows – let’s keep this plausible]?

Oh, the possibilities!

camo16
    Free Member

What if your dog attacks someone who is attacking you with a car [with open windows – let’s keep this plausible]?

Oh, the possibilities!

A completely different law shall apply to Ninja Dog

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Strange how the dogs that this is aimed at are the ones I have had least problems with, I have been chased and bitten by Jack Russells, Labradors, Border Collies, Yorkshire Terriers and Poodles

I’m not saying you bring it on yourself, but I’ve been arround dogs since I was a toddler (and probably before that, but I don’t remember)and whilst you get the odd one run up on the trails shouting it’s head off (lets face it, mountainbikers look wierd and probably smell funny too) I’ve never been chased, bitten or attacked on the bike or anywhere else.

cb

How about compulsory dog training. No certificate, no dog & a fine. Won’t solve everything but might encourage a bit more thought before buying a dog. Bit beyond a licence type scheme and will at least ensure the “dangerous” dogs have had some training.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

TRY TELLING DOG VADER WHAT HE CAN & CANT DO…

TuckerUK
    Free Member

It has got me thinking that the anti-dog campaign has been interesting, though. They singled out particular breeds of dog to accuse of being inherently dangerous, regardless of any evidence.

Maybe, just maybe, we could do something similar? I wonder how much more action would be possible if we were to start accusing certain races, nationalities, or religions of being inherently dangerous?

Or am I just thinking weird stuff again?

Rachel

FTFY

Yup, weird stuff. You’re a sick sick woman. 😉

RustySpanner

6500 hospital admission due to dog attacks in 2011-12.
    Over 1000 of which were the under 10’s.

marcus7
    Free Member

just been listening on the radio about this and was amazed at the amount of postal workers attacked, the communications union even commissioned a report on it!. in fairness they reckon it should be the same as death by dangerous driving for fatal attacks and the same as death by careless driving for serious injuries which would be 14 yrs and 4 yrs ( if I remember correctly). no mention was made of breeds etc or indeed ‘types of owner’, so I guess it would apply to all.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I think there is plenty of evidence singling out particular breeds of dog by looking at the occasions where dogs have attacked people – its usually the same two or so breeds. It stands to reason that if a dog decides to attack then a Pit Bull is going to do far more damage than a Chihuahua. I accept that the owners have a significant part to play in this, but some breeds of dog have been bred specifically for their viciousness, so stick them with irresponsible owners is a recipe for disaster. This reminds me of the ‘Guns don’t kill people, people do’ argument in defence of widespread gun ownership. Technically correct, but misses the point.

jamj1974

andyl – Member
    I can’t see my spaniel ever killing anyone so I think I’m safe.

Never, ever become complacent or underestimate the potential of any dog to harm you – even a dog you know and love. Many years ago I was nearly killed by our childhood pet – a spaniel. I was sleeping peacefully in my bed and she came in my bedroom and got on the bed and fell asleep. We could never have imagined what would happen next – her attack was vicious and without mercy – without rapid medical response I could have died. We don’t know what made her do it – we were never able to identify the cause. She passed wind and I was nearly simultaneously poisoned and suffocated. Without rapid intervention from my thankfully medical professional father – sensing the danger and running to ventilate my room by opening a window, I wouldn’t be here today. Lesson learned.

allthepies
    Free Member

😆

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

The dog diarrhea story on the “I’ve crapped my pants and I want to tell you about it” thread was clearly an attempt to kill.

Tiger6791

I can’t believe what I’m reading.

Stainypants

if it was down to me I find out which breeds were responsible for 90% of the attacks and ban them and terminate them. There is no more reason to own a pitbull than an AKA 47. Don’t tell me its the owners not the dogs fault. Don’t tell me its cruel when some dog chews your babies face off in the park. I’m sick of reading stories like this

link

There are very few things that get me mad but dangerous dogs is one of them.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Since becoming a dog owner ( west highland terrier) I have to say I find walking him an incredibly anxiety fuelled occurrence. I’ve never, as far as I can remember had an issue with dogs but since owning one myself I endlessly come across owners with much much bigger dogs who will happily let their dogs run up to you, without a lead, and start play fighting with my dog, jumping up me. I would never allow my dog off his lead or to jump up someone, not because he is aggressive or likely to run away ( although he probably would do a runner) but because I’m aware that many people are just nervous of dogs and dogs by their very nature can be temperamental so would never want to put myself in that sort of position or make any assumptions.

Why people think its perfectly acceptable to allow their dogs to run up to people and jump up people is beyond me. For me it just seems like an element of the entitlement culture again. I have a dog I am therefore entitled to allow him off his lead and I am entitled to allow him to jump up you….

Anyway, yeah. If you can’t control your dog and your dog does go as far to kill someone then your likely to be the sort of person who’s better off out of the way of other human beings.

anagallis_arvensis

I would be fairly sure that the breeds you would select by your well thought out method would just be the most common. Lets just kill 90% of dogs I’m sure that would be more effective.

badllama
    Free Member

To be fair it’s not the dogs it’s the muppets that own them and cannot control them, or more to the point don’t even know how ot control them / look after them /train them correctly 🙄

anagallis_arvensis

I would imagine people allow their friendly dogs to run up to you as they presume a dog owner isnt scared of dogs or maybe even likes dogs seems they are wrong. I pity your poor dog thats never let off a lead.

rossatease
    Free Member

If they’d thought it through a bit, rather than the knee jerk reaction it is, they could have changed the law to make it compulsory to license dog ownership and the fee geared toward ‘risk’ factor of the dog, same as they should license child birth, stop paying the chavs more benefit the more kids they breed, do it the other way round, a) charge them to breed and b)charge them more, the more they breed.

anagallis_arvensis

Wow I bet that took you ages to work out. Good going you must be a genius.

Stainypants

Another attack by a Rottweiler on a two year old tonight.

link

Blaming the owners is the same argument the american right spout to justify the gun laws in the US. we have a fraction the gun crime they have as we have fewer guns. Look no Rottweilers no 2 year old little girls mauled in their own homes. If you thought about it rationally if somebody brought in a new species that wasn’t a dog that caused the same damage these dogs do they be banned in a instant. Its just dogs and the dog lobby are ingrained in our society.

This forum is full of anger for car drivers involved in accidents with cyclists, yet dogs put twice as many people in hospital than cyclists accidents involving other vehicles.

plyphon
    Free Member

If you thought about it rationally if somebody brought in a new species that wasn’t a dog that caused the same damage these dogs do they be banned in a instant. Its just dogs and the dog lobby are ingrained in our society.

truth right here and this can be applied to many, many problems in the world right now.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Stainypants – Member
    Another attack by a Rottweiler on a two year old tonight.

That’s the same part of Rotherham where a cyclist was attacked with table legs last week!!!!

piemonster

6500 hospital admission due to dog attacks in 2011-12.
    Over 1000 of which were the under 10’s.

The way most kids seem to poke and prod dogs I’m surprised that’s not higher.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

I would imagine people allow their friendly dogs to run up to you as they presume a dog owner isnt scared of dogs or maybe even likes dogs seems they are wrong. I pity your poor dog thats never let off a lead.

Presumptions you say? Responsible and considerate dog owner you say? Oh…

Tiger6791

my dog only bites you if your a bad person*

*or smeared with Pâté

littlemisspanda
    Free Member

The reporting around some of these news stories is frequently sensationalist and does not give the full story.

I frequently have to ask the parents of kids for them not to just run up to my dog and start mithering him – he is a very gentle dog, and has never bitten or even growled at anybody, but I don’t know if he might – if he is irritated, too hot, feels threatened etc, and I get terribly nervous if children surround him, because I know it would be my fault if he attacked.

Parents should teach their kids to ask an owner before they come and pet a dog, or that the parents should ask. If I see small children when I’m out, I put him on a lead. I have previously had to actually physically remove a child who was pulling my dog’s fur and would not stop when asked (former partner’s friend’s kid) and got an earful from the mother, I asked if she would rather risk her kid getting bitten by a Rottweiler, and she shut up rather quickly. Of course, these news stories rarely report that Little Johnny/Jenny might have done something to provoke a dog, or that idiot parents let their kids go up to dogs they don’t know and stick their hands out right in front of their mouths.

As a responsible dog owner, it is always a worry that your dog might do something unpredictable, but it is also always a worry that people might do something unpredictable around your dog, and it will be your fault. Most dog owners try their best to avoid it, but the minority idiots give us a bad name.

anagallis_arvensis

Presumptions you say? Responsible and considerate dog owner you say? Oh…

nope I said one of those things

richc
    Free Member

stupid idea for a law and is never going to happen, its just headline grabbing crap, made to excite the mindless plebs.

Any law that could send you to prison for life in the event of someone breaking into your house when you are out, and your dog causing them fatal injuries (which might not be caused by biting, but simply by knocking them over) just isn’t going to happen by a Tory government.

As for my dog could *never* kill anyone, people are surprising fragile, if your dog knocked someone over and they banged their head they could (and do) die, the dog doesn’t have to maul them to kill someone.

LHS
    Free Member

I think we need a dangerous human act. Basically, if your a parent and your child of any age (0-99) attacks someone in the street / pub / etc you can go to prison for life. It might stop the chavs breeding.

RustySpanner

Piemonster, you know, somehow I just knew it would be the fault of the kids.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Won’t somebody blame the children?!

Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Life if your dog kills someone, a ban if your car does?’ is closed to new replies.