Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)
  • Life if your dog kills someone, a ban if your car does?
  • TuckerUK
    Free Member

Killer dogs’ owners in England and Wales could face life in prison

So, your dog (which has a mind of it’s own, and therefore in theory, you can never control 100%) kills someone, you could face life in prison. Your car (which you should be controlling 100%) kills someone, you’ll get an inconvenient ban.

And I missing something?

warton
    Free Member

You’re missing the same thing I am mate.

bails

Yes, “we” are drivers who have momentary lapses of concentration, could happen to anyone your honour, didn’t mean any harm. “They” are dangerous dog breeding council estate scroungers who deserve to be punished.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    camo16
    Free Member

On the upside, it sounds like a pretty effective deterent for folks who like to big themselves up by owning throat-ripping, ankle crushing, spit hurling mega beasts from hell big, tough dogs.

DezB
    Free Member

Interesting the old boy on BBC this morning said your dog attacking someone/thing was like driving your car at them/it. Well, not really – dog is a hell of a lot less dangerous.

soobalias
    Free Member

perhaps the government would like to consult cyclists with a view to changing the rules of the road.

about 15 people dead in 8years from dog attacks.
    how many cyclists dead this year from hgv attack in london?

footflaps

The key difference is the voters they are appealing to own cars but not ‘dangerous’ dogs. Ie throw the chav scum in jail but let the middle classes off with just a slap on the wrist…..

woody2000

Sixteen people have been killed by dogs in the UK since 2005.

There have been 19,500 road deaths in the same period. Knee jerk anyone?

Even taking into account the numbers (~8 million dogs vs ~35 million vehicles), that’s a staggering over reaction!

<shakes head>

DezB
    Free Member

throw the chav scum in jail

No problem with that 😉

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

bails – Member
    Yes, “we” are drivers who have momentary lapses of concentration, could happen to anyone your honour, didn’t mean any harm. “They” are dangerous dog breeding council estate scroungers who deserve to be punished.

THAT, my friend, is a 5* quote and I will be using as much as possible.

Thank you.

kimbers

its just another pointless headline grabber from the government (along with high profile harassing of brown folks at tube stations, bashing benefit scroungers etc)
    all goes back to torry panic over ukip

sad thing is I uspect that itll go down well with the elctorate

andyl
    Free Member

I can’t see my spaniel ever killing anyone so I think I’m safe.

There is a difference as there is no real need to won certain breeds of dogs but accidents do happen when driving.

BUT

I do think that driving offences are dealt with badly and there should be much more lifetime bans given out. I think the driving test should be harder too and possibly done in several tests that include motorways not one high stress one.

micky
    Free Member

As a cyclist the amount of times I have been bitten and chased by dogs is numerous. There are so many irresponsible owners out there that let dogs off the lead that know they hate bikes etc. This quite often leads to problems with the owners as they 9/10 turn out to be morons if they are letting a dangerous dog off the lead. Any increase in the punishment for killer dog owners is 100% welcome. It might make some owners stop & think. I don’t understand the significance of comparing this to another different type of crime?

camo16
    Free Member

It won’t become law and – even if it does – people won’t actually get life sentences. As such, it’s attention grabbing tat designed for the ears of voters who dream of safe, friendly neighbourhoods, like we had in the 1950s.

On the other hand, there’s dogs and there’s dogs. I wouldn’t mind seeing some hefty punishments doled out to owners of red-eyed hell hounds that, at some point, will scent blood and go bananas all over the place.

samuri
    Free Member

I don’t understand the significance of comparing this to another different type of crime?

Priorities innit. Why mess around fixing an issue which has a very small impact (comparatively), while simultaneously ignoring the huge massive great elephant in the room which is 20,000 dead people.

allthegear
    Free Member

It has got me thinking that the anti-dog campaign has been interesting, though. They singled out particular breeds of dog to accuse of being inherently dangerous, regardless of any evidence.

Maybe, just maybe, we could do something similar? I wonder how much more action would be possible if we were to start accusing certain makes of vehicle (BMW? Iveco?) of being inherently dangerous to cycles? If it was a sustained campaign, I wonder how the PR departments of the targeted makes would react? Would it help bring things to the forefront of the minds of those that can change things?

Or am I just thinking weird stuff again?

Rachel

grim168
    Free Member

I’m gonna teach my dog to drive….

DezB
    Free Member

As a cyclist the amount of times I have been bitten and chased by dogs is numerous

Really? Blimey in 25 years I can count the number of times on er, well, 2 fingers… and one of them was a very noisy but very tiny terrier!

camo16
    Free Member

They singled out particular breeds of dog to accuse of being inherently dangerous, regardless of any evidence.

I think that previous cases of death-by-large-rabid-muscle-dog is the evidence you’re looking for.

DezB
    Free Member

They singled out particular breeds of dog to accuse of being inherently dangerous, regardless of any evidence.

Blind bloke’s guide dog got attacked by one from what I could make out. (Wasn’t paying the maximum of attention)

MSP

I can’t see my spaniel ever killing anyone so I think I’m safe.

Perfect example of the atitude stated above

A recent study carried out on 6,000 dogs and their owners found out 33 of the most aggressive dogs, and also those which have good temperaments. The study involved collecting data from two different groups. The first group consisted of 11 different breeds and the second was an online survey mainly involving owners, including 33 breeds. The conclusions from both groups were similar. It looked at the different types of aggression such as towards other dogs, towards strangers and towards owners. Some of the results were surprising, below are the top ten most aggressive breed:

Dachshunds
    Chihuahua
    Jack Russell
    Australian Cattle Dog
    Cocker Spaniel
    Beagle
    Border Collie
    Pit Bull Terrier
    Great Dane
    English Springer Spaniel

soobalias
    Free Member

there is no doubt that the 1991 dangerous dogs act was one of the worst thought out laws – ever.

im with you Rachel, big dogs kill, big trucks kill

2014 Dangerous Trucks Act. Its got a nice ring to it eh?

samuri
    Free Member

While aggression levels might be true, only a couple of those dogs are capable of killing someone.

camo16
    Free Member

Yeah, a Chihuaha might have an almighty pog on, but it’s not gonna tear some kid’s arm off.

MSP

Most of the “deaths” I have seen in the news have been toddlers, most of the dogs in the list could kill a toddler. It’s only the pit bulls that get reported because they are devil dogs 🙄

camo16
    Free Member

Whereas pit bulls are really just misunderstood, MSP?

DezB
    Free Member

Pit Bull Terrier

I thought they were banned anyway?

votchy
    Free Member

Strange how the dogs that this is aimed at are the ones I have had least problems with, I have been chased and bitten by Jack Russells, Labradors, Border Collies, Yorkshire Terriers and Poodles, never by a Staffie, Alsation, Rottweiler etc so am hoping that any change to the law is across the patch and not just the ‘alleged’ dangerous dogs

MSP

Whereas pit bulls are really just misunderstood, MSP?

Mainly so, yes. I would rather be near a properly trained pit bull, than a badly trained border collie.

camo16
    Free Member

@ votchy – that’s a good point

My one experience with mutt-violence was a sudden attack from the pub dog in my old village. It was a red setter… and apparently red setters are always placid, loving Buddhist dogs – as dog-lovers keep telling me.

This blighter wasn’t and I still have the noughts and crosses scars on my hand to testify that red setters are blood-lusting thugs. At least one was. 👿

Mainly so, yes. I would rather be near a well trained pit bull, than a badly trained border collie.

You’re possibly right. The guy-gangs I see hanging around in my home area don’t seem to have good obedience training at the forefront of their minds, though.

allthegear
    Free Member

By lack of evidence, I wasn’t saying dogs don’t attack, I was saying there’s little evidence that one particular breed is more likely to attack than another, after taking other factors into consideration (like the chav-factor of the owner)

andyl
    Free Member

Perfect example of the atitude stated above

But you are incorrectly assuming that MY spaniel correlates to the average in those ‘studies’.

So therefore my attitude is correct and you can shove that comment up your bottom!

camo16
    Free Member

allthegear – apologies. Reading back on that, my comment feels unduly abrasive.

We have plenty of Tory-sterotyped chav gangs with mahoosive dogs straining on leashes in our area. Our neighbour has one, who (the owner said, to reassure me) “only goes for strangers or people he thinks are threatening me”. 😯

Needless to say, this scares my son sh!tless and mrscamo16, too.

Now, I’m a dog person by and large, but some of these beasts are tragedies waiting to happen.

tomhoward

gofasterstripes – Member

bails – Member

THAT, my friend, is a 5* quote and I will be using as much as possible.

Thank you.

Best judge the situation first though eh? If someone askes you if ‘you want fries with that?’, pick a different response.

+1 op

anagallis_arvensis

As a cyclist the amount of times I have been bitten and chased by dogs is numerous.

I have been chased and bitten by Jack Russells, Labradors, Border Collies, Yorkshire Terriers and Poodles

seriously? WTF do you do tie steaks to your ankles?
    I was nipped by a terrier as young kid and once took my mums Cairn to the vets and the vet for some unknown reason shoved his finger up her arse and she turned round and bit me, which I couldn’t really blame her for, other than that I have never been bitten and cannot think of a time I have been chased either on my bike or not.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Dunno….

TBH I’m more likely to be bitten by a dog then eat a takeaway that comes with fries.

micky
    Free Member

As a cyclist the amount of times I have been bitten and chased by dogs is numerous

Really? Blimey in 25 years I can count the number of times on er, well, 2 fingers… and one of them was a very noisy but very tiny terrier!

I suspect it’s the area I ride being the nearest woodland to a major city and attracting huge amounts of dog owners. As a paper boy i used to get chased daily and sometimes worse. Often outside of the owners property. I find collies the worst for actual biting. I suspect the nip on the ankle is the herding instint in them.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

@allthegear – what about Audi or would that disadvantage too great a proportion of STWers?

I like the idea of a concerted campaign, if anyone does decide to kick it off then use social media to get the message out and be relentless. The good pr departments will be tracking their #tags and watching for negative comments. We used this on BT when they dicked us about last year, it was surprising how quickly they acted in order to pacify us.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I’m gonna teach my dog to drive….

😆 😆 😆 😆 😆

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

what if your dog kills someone that is attacking you???

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Life if your dog kills someone, a ban if your car does?’ is closed to new replies.