Viewing 28 posts - 81 through 108 (of 108 total)
  • Life begins at 40?
  • NJA

At 40, I was in a job I hated, that involved driving 50K miles a year and staying away from my Wife and young family at least three (up to five) nights a week. Was unfit, massively overweight and had no interest in doing anything.

Then I got made redundant, no redundancy pay as I had been on a fixed term contract (that ‘would always be renewed’ – until it wasn’t). I had no savings and needed to earn £2k a month to pay the bills and feed the family.

I found a training course that I thought was vaguely interesting in a sector I had never considered spent £995 on a course that I couldn’t afford and started my own business. Fast forward 17 years and I have my own successful business, a range of new qualifications that I could never have dreamed of, employ 15 people and enjoy a cycling holiday at least once a year. I am fitter than most of my peers, still a bit overweight but no longer morbidly obese.

My life began again at 42. Was it easy, no – to this day my wife still asks are we getting paid this month. Was it worthwhile, hell yes. Did I ever think I would get this far – never in a million years.

When I look back at who I was and who I am now, I am basically the same person, the redundancy gave me the imperative to succeed.

If I can do it you can too.

As a footnote, there is huge value in getting help. Over the years I have seen hypnotherapists, counsellors and I currently have a business coach to speak to. It just helps to have someone else in your corner.

thecaptain
    Free Member

40 is the new 30 and even past 50 I’m still only about 35 in my head. Enjoyed a morning round the Glentress black this morning, that’s not something I would have considered 20 years ago.

jimster01

Age is a number – as they all say – “You don’t stop cycling because you grow old. You grow old because you stop cycling.”

I live by this mantra, 58 this year and I get up at 5am go to the gym for an hour,walk the dogs, then go and do a days work.

I’ve had a few setbacks, walked out of a cushy job at 55, not a shrewd move I thought at the time. Got a great job a few weeks later in a supermarket (don’t knock it), team was great, customers okay. Then got another job fermenting bacteria, closer to home, now have a life.

Something will always come up, it gets a little rocky, but it’s all part of the learning process – everydays a school day.

stcolin
    Free Member

Thanks for the further replies. Definitely helping.

So, update on my knee. Physio is pretty much certain it is a meniscus tear, but a light one, thankfully. He is confident with some work and patience I can be back to normal within 4-6 weeks. Starting today.

mactheknife

Life is what you want it to be. The only thing that stands in your way is the barriers that you put in front of yourself. That may seem trite but if you strip everything back to the basics then its true.

Figure out what you want.
    Figure out how to get there and just go for it.

You may get sidetracked in a different direction but that’s cool. What’s important is that you take positive steps in the direction you want to go. You really dont want to look back in your 70s and hate the person you are because you didn’t have what it took to go and get what you wanted.

stcolin
    Free Member

Life is what you want it to be. The only thing that stands in your way is the barriers that you put in front of yourself. That may seem trite but if you strip everything back to the basics then its true.

I totally agree. It’s all in my hands. But of course easier said than done. I had another panic attack last night, actually after a solo bike ride. No idea why, maybe it’s all playing in the back of my mind.

Trimix
    Free Member

Just remember, there are a lot of people in their 70’s and 80’s who would give everything they have to be 40.

Your future starts with today, so crack on and make it a good day. Build on it day by day, week by week. Of course you can be fitter, healthier and having more fun in your 50’s, 60’s, 70’s onwards than you do now. Im way past 40 and enjoy life more now than when I was 40. Im fitter as well.

i_scoff_cake
    Free Member

@trail_rat

Oil and gas (at least offshore) is a shitty industry these days and just not worth it for me due to, a) getting sick of it and burning out, and b) the pay being half of what I got back in the 00s. I had some good times but TBH some of the most miserable times in my life working for certain offices. The true colours of some management were shown when the oil prices tanked.

Anyway, I’ve been away for a few years now so hard to go back. I’ve got no interest anyway.

Not interested in working in an office either, so considering some kind of trade job which I’m looking into. Don’t need massive money. Thank God I paid my house off a few years ago and didn’t waste all my money.

Currently still working part-time in a supermarket which TBH isn’t all that terrible, but need something better.

stcolin
    Free Member

So, moving house has taken a few extra steps. We are actively looking at a couple of new builds out near Buxton for example. I like the location a lot, despite the thought of bleak winters up there.

I would like some advice on getting a mortgage for the first time at the tender age of almost 40. My partner has had a mortgage now for over 10 years, on her second home which she now shares with me. We have very similar wages, secure enough jobs. Now I went through 8-10 years of a lot of debt, had no savings etc, but never got into any difficulties. Never missed a payments, clean history in that sense. This was all cleared about 2 years ago now and I’m saving now and more comfortable than I ever thought I would be (relatively speaking). Do lenders look that far back and will it influence the outcome? The mortgage will be about 30-40% LTV and we wont be paying out much more than we currently are. I don’t want to start getting exited and then we get knocked back because of my history.

spawnofyorkshire

If you didn’t miss any payments or default on anything then you should be fine. Not having had a mortgage before won’t harm you in your application, it’s more based upon what you can afford and by the sounds of it you’ll be fine there too.
    Best bet is to speak to an independent financial advisor. Some mortgage lenders won’t deal with IFAs (HSBC used to be one), but a lot will. They can help advise on the basics of how to handle your partners current mortgage, equity split etc.

PrinceJohn

At 39 I was single, doing a job I wasn’t into. Arranged my own 40th birthday (a trip to BPW) & was generally not happy with life.

Fast forward 5yrs I met someone (we’re now married) changed jobs, then career, then got promoted to my current role & am loving life.

You never quite know what’s round the corner, but sometimes you have to take a chance. It’s not easy it’s scary but it’s worth while betting on yourself.

PrinceJohn

I would like some advice on getting a mortgage for the first time at the tender age of almost 40. My partner has had a mortgage now for over 10 years, on her second home which she now shares with me. We have very similar wages, secure enough jobs. Now I went through 8-10 years of a lot of debt, had no savings etc, but never got into any difficulties. Never missed a payments, clean history in that sense. This was all cleared about 2 years ago now and I’m saving now and more comfortable than I ever thought I would be (relatively speaking). Do lenders look that far back and will it influence the outcome? The mortgage will be about 30-40% LTV and we wont be paying out much more than we currently are. I don’t want to start getting exited and then we get knocked back because of my history.

Speak to a mortgage advisor – we got approved for our first home at 41 & 36, again with debt (but always well maintained)

stcolin
    Free Member

Thanks. We’re 39 & 34 here. We have an appointment booked with a mortgage advisor on Wednesday so will see how that goes.

spawnofyorkshire

Thanks. We’re 39 & 34 here. We have an appointment booked with a mortgage advisor on Wednesday so will see how that goes.

I wouldn’t stress about this; it sounds like you’re in a good place financially now.

MrGrim

Surely if anything, a history of taking out credit with reliable repayments and no defaults will help make you low risk in the eyes of a mortgage supplier?

stcolin
    Free Member

You’d think, eh?

Without getting ahead of myself it’s probably more the stress of selling the current house that will be the difficult part. Thankfully where we are is still really popular. Fingers crossed for first time buyers!

It’s often situations like this that I struggle with. I get into a spiral about whether or not I deserve it, or if I can do it etc. I know there will be lots of hurdles ahead but moving away from this area would really help me I believe.

stcolin
    Free Member

Well I thought I would update this for anyone interested in how it’s going. Which is pretty poor. Been in the new house now almost 4 months. Do like it here, but I have major imposter syndrome. Don’t feel like I deserve it.

After the arthritis diagnosis on my left knee, it continues to cause problems. I know have a similar pain developing in my right knee, similar to what I started feeling in my left knee a few years ago. I also get tendon pain in my left knee. Even walking can be sore now. Cycling, well it seems okay but I’m sure it is actually not causing further pain after.

I feel like it is all slipping away.

My dad had a cancer scare end of last year and whilst he has been given the all clear, it has left me feeling anxious. My mum is doing okay in here home now, been there over a year. Thankfully I got to see her over Christmas but it breaks my heart to see her. I think she still knows who I am at this stage, but she can’t verbalise it to me.

Yes, I’m aware that all of these things are fairly common. But, just because you might be able to deal with it, doesn’t mean I can.

footflaps

Yes, I’m aware that all of these things are fairly common. But, just because you might be able to deal with it, doesn’t mean I can.

Sounds like an awful lot of stuff on your plate and I’m pretty sure most people would find it tough to cope with it all.

Don’t beat yourself up over it!

Have you thought about seeing someone to talk about all this? Might help you manage it.

spawnofyorkshire

This might sound trite, but you can deal with it. It’s just f**king hard and can seem like a mountain to climb to do it. But you can find a way to cope.

We have a few things in common, both 40, arthritic joints, cancer scares in parents, dementia to deal with.

I had a terrible time a few years back, became incredibly depressed and got to a point where I wished harm to myself. Didn’t feel like i deserved nice things and wondered why my friends and loved ones even bothered with me.
    When you’re brain is telling you these things it can feel like you’re down a big hole and there’s no way back out of it.
    I’m out the hole now. It took counselling, a huge reckoning with what i want from life, anti-depressants, being honest with my friends and family about how i was doing, and frankly a desire to still be here.
    Myself and a few friends who suffer from various mental illnesses (it is an illness) meet up regularly and will talk if we’re struggling. Sometimes even the act of saying out loud that you’re feeling shit can have a positive effect on you

tl;dr – talk to someone about it. Go for a pint with a friend, or go find a group like Andys Man Club. But just talk out loud about it, you can then go on from there and it will get better
    “Everything will be alright in the end. If it’s not alright, it’s not the end”

stcolin
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. I haven’t made any efforts to talk to anyone. My experiences with that over the last 15-20 years has not been very positive. And I genuinely think the NHS has enough on its plate. If I can scrape by without throwing myself under a bus then it’s one less burden for them.

I don’t have any friends here in England. I have a couple of close ties from home, but even those friendships are less than what they used to be. It’s so hard to make new friends in your 30s/40s. I have my girlfriend, but I keep it from here as much as possible. She already has her parents to deal with.

I’m trying to hang on to the hope of Spring and thinking of longer brighter days. These winter days are hard going.

robbo1234biking

If I can scrape by without throwing myself under a bus then it’s one less burden for them.

You are not a burden to them. You have a genuine illness and need some help. It is what they are there for.

the-muffin-man

Didn’t you move to Derbyshire?

I’m sure there are loads of people who wouldn’t mind you tagging along on a ride.

stcolin
    Free Member

Yea I’m done in Congleton. I’ve been out with the local MTB club and road cycling club a couple of times. I know I need to make it more regular and maybe that will help build a friendship or two.

spawnofyorkshire

@stcolin speak to your partner about it. It’s better for her to know what’s going on and she will be able to cope. She most likely knows already that somethings wrong.
    Even when i was in a bad place i was still able to be there for friends going through their own issues, she may even feel better if she can help you

the-muffin-man

Yeah – regular is the key. No point popping along every few months.

If they have committees volunteer help with any events too.

I’m 54 and have few close friends and we moved house in April. I’ve taken the conscious decision to go to the village pub at least once a fortnight. Our faces are getting known now and we’re being included in the bar banter. IME it takes a while to make friends as you get older, it’s not like kids playground were you walk up to someone and ask if they want to be your friend! 🙂

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

DM’d you @stcolin

fazzini

You have a genuine illness and need some help

This. At the very least talk to your GP. Best thing I ever did was not cancel the 3rd appt I’d made. I broke down. Took up way more than an appt time. In tears. If I wanted to be self-critical which I’m brilliant at BTW, I could view that moment as being pathetic, but even though I still have my struggles, I actually view that moment as one of strength. And I’m really not good at being kind to myself. Please talk to someone – partner, GP, anyone.

sharkattack

I’m trying to hang on to the hope of Spring and thinking of longer brighter days. These winter days are hard going.

Me too mate. It’s the only thing I’m clinging onto.

Viewing 28 posts - 81 through 108 (of 108 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.