Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Life after Sales?
  • moonboy
    Free Member

Its strikes me, have you considered a Junior partner? Someone like me who’d like to tap into your experience but is too nervous perhaps to make it on their own. E.g. I work for your company under your brief generating my own independent client list but contributing a percent earnings to you for your business acumen/effort.

Well, its got legs in my mind…. 😀

Thanks for the kind words.

It’s like you’re reading my mind, considering options along those lines at the moment.

Also taken on board what I think is good advice that success doesn’t necessary equal having to go big.

With the world like it is and with me having 2 under 4 in the house, quite happy to take my time over the what next.

Kryton57

quite happy to take my time over the what next.

I really admire this, I’d love to be as grounded as you Moonboy its very admirable you’re able to take this approach. It also follows Mrs K having some professional advice yesterday which was based on “don’t just take any job because you feel like you need a job, who cares about salary and job title, its about what makes YOU happy and fits in with the rest of your life’s priorities”.

I’m having a birthday day off today and both those have forced me to mull over where I started this post. Do I really care about other peoples job titles or achievements or promotion? Isn’t life about just getting over this pandemic period and managing my work life balance into something that works for me? Can I accept some small knocks and bruises with an inner sly grin knowing that ultimately, my work leads me to where I want to be in life? And am I having the last laugh by being able to achieve my goals without having to work until midnight just because I have “Director” in my title?

Time for another coffee…

molgrips
    Free Member

Sounds to me Kryters that you are one of these people who needs validation more than most. This isn’t intended as an insult, just to be clear.

Kryton57

Over the course of the last few weeks thought-process I agree to a point molgrips. I like positive critique as it allows me to self indulge in improvement, but I hate a lack of any feedback, or feedback from someone I don’t respect as I don’t feel valued.

I’d rather have “you need to manage your projections better like this…” from a respected senior, than a “well done you made your Q1 number early” from someone I don’t respect. It feels hollow. I’d rather be busy improving than wallowing in pats on the back.

I think I’ve mentioned in the thread I’m about to have 2 x 360 reviews with non managing Directors, one of which is a staff member I employed 10 years ago when I was managing.

My learning in this thread means whole discussion point boils down to two things; I’ve been removed from my “trusted elder states-man status” to “box shifting sales person”, this does not make me feel valued. And, I need a respected, innovative and energetic, motivational leader to support and be supported by. Currently, I don’t have that.

I’m happy to accept I’m never going to be an Alan Sugar (or a MoonBoy!), but I am a good Nic Hewer, and he didn’t do too bad for himself now did he.

Kryton57

My learning in this thread means whole discussion point boils down to two things; I’ve been removed from my “trusted elder states-man status” to “box shifting sales person”, this does not make me feel valued. And, I need a respected, innovative and energetic, motivational leader to support and be supported by. Currently, I don’t have that.

And now that I’ve written that down, together with the career coaching I think I’ve cracked it; either in my current company or another here’s the company I want to work for, one that brings:

a) a trusted elder states-man status based on my experience and
    b) that has a innovative and energetic, motivational leader to support and be supported by

Boom.

razorrazoo

Do I really care about other peoples job titles or achievements or promotion? Isn’t life about just getting over this pandemic period and managing my work life balance into something that works for me?

This totally.  I’ve come to terms with the fact that I’m not motivated to play the corporate game and climb the ladder. Come summer I’d rather have the option of getting out for an evening ride than fretting on tomorrow’s forecast roll up until 10pm. As eluded to in my earlier post I’m pretty demotivated at the moment, a lot of which boils down to how Covid has affected the job, I’m sick of sitting at home trying to drum up business in a quiet market.  At the moment I’m just thinking I’m lucky to be in a job with a good company, keep my head down and fingers crossed that things will start to get ‘better’ as we move through the year.

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Life after Sales?’ is closed to new replies.