Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 95 total)
  • Life After MTB – What Did You Replace it With?
  • tjagain

Tj,perhaps a fs bike would have prolonged your career?Hard tails are never a sensible solution long term.

NOpe – its a shoulder injury. Ridden hardtails for 40+ years offroad

andytherocketeer

Hiking for me. But I do it as well as MTBing,not as a replacement. Sometimes both in the same holiday. Borrowdale Bash one day, hike Skiddaw the next. Burma road on day 1, hike to the top of Cairngorm (sod the funicular) the following day.
    Less faff and hassle to hike a route where you’d have to shoulder the bike, and also you can get to a lot more places. Often when MTBing I’ll find routes that would be better hiking, and when hiking find routes that would make fun MTBing (but possibly “cheeky”). Easier to carry the big camera too when hiking than it is in my camelback. Desn’t even have to be the highest Wainright/Munro summits either – view is better from the less high hills imho.

Golf would bore me senseless.

Garry_Lager

Still trucking along with the MTBing – if I had to / wanted to stop think I’d try weightlifting – not the most exciting choice but has a lot of intensity, and meant to be very good for you as you hit your 50s and 60s (I play bridge as a hobby, which is a game popular with the older generation, and the physical state of your average bridge room is alarmingly bad, sad to say – so many old people who missed the boat with getting active and have now just given up).

As said above, though, the grand vets at the races are impressive to see. Not just the outlying, talented guys who can crush it in their 60s, but the main field in a V50 cyclocross race, say, are fit fellas who still ride with a lot of intensity. Hope to do the same.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Golf is OK but unless you are extremely lucky with your swing requires a lot of practise to be any good – might not matter but if you start doing any competitions, even the monthly medal, then you may get very frustrated with it.

Combined with it being sod-all exercise it could be detrimental to your physical and mental health.

It can be very addictive though so difficult to give up.

I gave up at 30 for both those reasons and switched to mtbing 🙂

If you do take it up get a nice set of soft forged blades and buy the Hogan ‘Modern Fundamentals’ book and ignore all the little bits of advice mates will give you or you might read in magazines…

hols2
    Free Member

xc runner, hill walker, climber, mountaineer, mtber. They’re all intertwined as far as I’m concerned

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Golf would bore me senseless

Mibbe you shoyld try it, after all you actually enjoy the Burma road, so the bar is low….

🤣😂

#gravelisthenewgolf

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

you can ‘ATB’ instead on your MTB to a nice pub which I think is now called ‘gravel biking’,

🤣🤣👍🏼

Like others here, have been forced off MTBing through (non-related) injuries and health issues leaving me gaps of years in-between mtbing. MTBing was always a way for me to combine a joy of cycling with my love of the outdoors, exploring, nature etc. Before cycling I walked, sometimes 30+ miles on a Sunday, every Sunday. I can’t do those distances now but short walks <10 miles are possible. I mix that up with landscape painting, exploring, photography etc.

Also created and furnished a painting studio for studio work.

Swimming. Learned to swim ‘properly’ at 46 yrs old after years of being a bit ocean-shy. Took to it very well and began local pool membership. Also take summer dips in rivers and lakes.

The joy of cycling during the Dark Years? I went for car-replacement + cycling therapy in the form of a Dutch utility bike which was just a dream to cruise around on at my own pace. I took to night-riding (dynohub makes this a nobrainer) on it, first doing local grocery trips – then extended loops. With a Gorillapod and side-stand I also took to extra-urban night-photography with this ‘cycle-studio setup’. Kick stand down, Clamp the gorillapod to the huuge rear pannier rack and use a remote or timed shutter. If in the street you can leave flashy lights on/wear hi-viz. Note: A pair of pogies help enormously in winter months as gloves and cameras don’t mix. Was accosted by police once while taking pics of the common and Hills one night. Offered to show them my pics and FB photo page to assure them I wasn’t a prospecting burglar 🤣

Bimbling can be/lead to many other things. Used to cycle tour, but now bimble tour, ie overnight camping within 50 mi radius. Still very enjoyable. MTBing is on the horizon again, if I’m careful not to re-injure, but plenty to keep me busy in-between. Just began doing nearby walks one evening per week with an old local friend, mostly the bridleways and footpaths in West Worcs/E Heref. Pint to finish.

All sounds very low-energy and zero-adrenalin, but was always more of a slow-roamer and long-climber than a fast-plummeter** 👍🏼

In short – using a bike for short-trips car-replacement saved me from going nuts*.

*edit – Others may didagree. ** also a long-winded rambler 😉

andytherocketeer

I play bridge as a hobby, which is a game popular with the older generation…

Not played that since I was about 19 (was taught how to play in A-Level Applied Maths class)
    Prefer Cribbage, personally.

shooterman

I should say age and fitness are not really the issues. I’ve just turned 48 and I’m holding together reasonably well. 6′ 2″ and 13.5 stones so managing to keep middle aged spread at bay to some extent. No chronic health issues otherwise.

I have looked at E Mtb but I don’t think I’m there yet. Never a gnar merchant as MTB was just a way to burn off excess calories, get some respite from work and get my heart pumping.

I suppose the main thing was it was becoming a source of stress instead of relaxation. I got badly strung along about a bike for months which has left me off the bike for months which in turn has p1ssed me off no end. I find I just don’t have the motivation to start looking for another one now.

kittyr
    Free Member

Basically anything outdoors, with nice views and a bit of a feeling of journey or adventure do it for me and tick the same box MTB does for my psyche.

Hiking, road cycling, climbing, gentle flat water kayaking/canoeing, running.

I really like more cross country epic day out style MTB rather than technical downhill gnar.

Pieface

Fell running, after getting completely narked off with the constant drain on my finances of the biking, constant cleaning / fettling and lack of route variety. Its so simple, there’s no excuses for poor performance other than the quality of the engine.You can also go wherever you like (within reason).

globalti
    Free Member

I mountain biked from 1988 for 21 years until I began to grow tired of the constant filth, wear and tear and getting undressed late at night in a freezing garage then dealing with the filthy bike and kit next day. Also the bitching and bickering that was going on in my club.

Then by an amazing coincidence I found a carbon road bike that had been thrown off a bridge near my house. Took it to the Police who gave it back to me a month later. That was when I realised that I wasn’t actually very fit at all. I haven’t ridden off road since and after 21 years of it I don’t miss it either as I’m far, far fitter now than I ever was.

shooterman

Think you’re on to something Pieface. Combined with the gym during the week that might not be a bad idea at all.

Pieface

TBH I’ve had a number of injuries over the years that have got me close to jacking it in, but for me it just keeps giving. Running off the road is so nice, road running has its place too, but for me running round the woods is ace!

yetidave
    Free Member

43 and still MTB and road ride, but lately due to time constraints and children i have a jump bike which is used both at lunchtime from work and on a saturday morning with oldest child who loves messing about on the pump track. at 43 im now learning how to jump and manual having never really done either very well before…

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Seem to have replaced it with ‘looking after the offspring’.

I’m crap at running, but nevertheless, running. Dual purpose – gets the dogs out and exercised.

I do more road riding these days. Dual purpose – gets me to work and back.

I’ve been doing weights for years. Practically zero kit required, and gym membership can be quite cheap.

Mounty_73

Walking, scrambling and wild camping in the hills all play there part for me when not riding.

My mountain biking time has dropped massively, so I ended up buying a gravel bike and I love it, ok its 60% road rides, but with dirt tracks and other stuff which makes it fun and keeps it interesting.

I have done quite a lot of overnighters bikepacking which is great. I just try and mix it all up to keep it fresh and interesting.

I just love to get out and ride, no matter where, or on what bike, roads, tracks, local and far, short or long rides, whatever mood I am in……..

chewkw
    Free Member

I’m just wondering what other folks took up after MTB? I know there are quite a few on here who no longer really ride.

I’ve ruled out golf due to my reverse snobbery. Hiking? Like the outdoors and looking for something to help me de-stress and burn a few calories.

Due back injury relapsing I could hardly ride for more than 30 mins without pain.

Yes, I have taken up hiking … a bit. 😅

tjagain

Hols – I came into mountainbikeing as a way of getting to the remote mountains to climb them – as indeed many folk in ~Scotland do / did

Poopscoop

Don’t think I’ve seen it mentioned but metal detecting is well worth considering.

You get to go on land much of the time only the farmer will see the views from, tonnes of walking and digging. Join a club and you will meet some great people and travel all over the show to some amazing rural sites. It’s a gem of a hobby.

Finding something is a bonus you can go months without finding anything but digging up a 2000 year old coin or artefact that hasn’t been held in millennia never gets old.

Highly recommended and it will be the hobby I grow old into.

Not too costly too get into either and once you have the kit it doesn’t wear out.

stever
    Free Member

Fell running. Then back to climbing …used to be my main sport before kids. It’s harder 15 years later funnily enough. Magic fun though. Progress is rewarding, even if it’s not at the grades I was tickling as a younger fellow 🙂

handybar
    Free Member

Ive been off the mtb for four years due to an chronic knee problem, but Im only late 30s.
    Mountain biking probably gave me an extra five years of fitness, and a lot of love, so if my operation works, I will definitely return to it, infact I don’t think I could do anything else than mountain biking – it would be like cheating on my girlfriend. I’ve looked into everything else, but I’d never recapture the freedom of grabbing my bike, hitting the woods, getting a bit of green, smashing some jumps, loving the Adrenalin, and feeling at one with the world when I crash on the sofa.

OwenP

I’m going to have a break from mtb too I think, mostly due to travel with the bike not being an option and being bored with the local trails (and yes, I have tried the whole ‘rigid bike to make it harder’ thing…). It’s a shame an hopefully I’ll be able to come back to mtb when time/money/moving location allow it.

In the interim, running, gym and tree climbing (ropes and harness stuff) will be fun/active enough for a bit. Might try tinkering with the car a bit to learn something!

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

I keep thinking I’ll knock the gnar on the head when I hit 70-odd and take up fly fishing but I also don’t think I’ll be able to shake off trail riding. I’m still addicted 17 years on.

nofx
    Free Member

Another one who quit after injury. I broke my right collar bone, it’s still a couple of inches out of place. I went to off Rd rc trucks. One of my trucks has 5 inches of suspension travel & over 5 hp. Im weaning myself back into mtbing again, our little un loves riding. But I’m so unfit 😟

hamsterfangs
    Free Member

Don’t knock eMTB. It’s amazing! A pedelec means you still have to put in the effort, but the option to apply a little (or more) help will keep your heart-rate up and riding for many more hours than you are used to.
    The net effect is that you can stay in the fat-burn & cardio zones for 50 miles without the need to stress (unless you want to by turning the assistance down/off). Weight just falls off.

fossy

Like someone up post says, MTB is more impact and resistance, and all over exercise than road, so it’s good for us getting older. Bone loss density is an issue, and my wife was more worried about that in me when I was a roadie. The MTB does give a full body work out.

I’m not great descending, as I’m a roadie, but learning, so I’ll bail if needed and hop down a feature, especially when on my own. I have improved and I’m doing more technical stuff, but it’s about your own limits as you get older (and in responsible jobs). I’ve pushed the limits with sick leave from just road bike commuting injuries at my current employer – been there 15 years, but lost 7 months with a broken spine riding to work. Nothing more than cuts and bruises with MTB so far.

There is a lot more faith goes into the skill and the bike doing MTB – I see some stuff and go ‘it’s been designed to be ridden’, then make sure I’m in the right position for the bike to do it and the bike is positioned in exactly the right places, so much more different than road as it’s point and shoot compared. This looking for best routes forward, looking ahead, getting the tyre in the right place….bugger all of that on road, it’s about getting the speed out of a flat corner etc etc…

dogthomson

Children! 😔

BadlyWiredDog

Thanks for the replies. One of my big issues is I struggle to find a good fit on modern geo bikes. I’m borderline L and XL height and everything is slightly too small or slightly too big. Long back and average legs don’t help either. That has moved me off bike permutations.

What are ‘bike permutations’?

geex
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. One of my big issues is I struggle to find a good fit on modern geo bikes. I’m borderline L and XL height and everything is slightly too small or slightly too big. Long back and average legs don’t help either. That has moved me off bike permutations.

What on earth are you talking about?
    There’s usually no more than 20mm difference in reach between most brands sizes.
    Also unless you’re really short old geometry shorter reach sizing is still available by
    simply buying a size (or two) down. You’ll then have a bike that fits like your old bikes in reach but has more standover and more room for a longer dropper post

it’s not an issue at all. it’s an excuse.

jjprestidge
    Free Member

I’ve had a few other interests, but the main ones were:

Motor racing – hideously expensive and, in hindsight, the amount of track time versus the amount of money spent was way out of kilter.

Triathlon – did all distances, including Ironman. Good for fitness, but ultimately a bit boring and a bit of a time/money pit.

Running – bit like triathlon. Got down to a 3.10 marathon, 1.30 half, but to have got any further would have required a substantial time/effort investment that I wasn’t prepared to make.

Music – still do this, and I work in the business, but I stopped enjoying the regularity of rehearsals/gigs.

Ultimately, for me, mountain biking gives the adrenaline rush and skills elements of motor racing, but at a much lower cost/effort. Plus it also takes you to great places, the social side is good, without being clubby, and it is beneficial to your overall wellbeing and fitness. Don’t think there’s much with which you could replace it.

JP

RobHilton
    Free Member

I replaced it with Kung Fu, which is great, but it’s nothing like as much fun.

I need to start riding again…

RustyNissanPrairie

I lost my MTB mojo after riding to a high level from the late 80’s no injuries but fed up with the expense and constant fettling.
    Took a rescue dog on at the same time I lost my mojo and it’s the best thing I’ve ever done.

hols2
    Free Member

I came into mountainbikeing as a way of getting to the remote mountains to climb them – as indeed many folk in ~Scotland do / did

I hope you know that this will go down on your permanent record!

tjagain

?

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Pennine: thumbs up! That’s inspiration for me (getting fit again now I’m 50).

kittyr
    Free Member

Oh yeah, and in the winter backcountry ski-touring. Very similar to the MTB feel – big countryside, adventurous, hard cardio and SUPER FUN in the pow downhill.

Obviously thats a bit expensive and time consuming when living in the UK to do much more than 3 weeks a year, but that keeps me going.

FuzzyWuzzy

TV and eating mostly – it’s not been great. Approaching 5 years off the bike now and need to do something about it soon (I’ve been saying that for over 4 years though)

trumpton
    Free Member

I’ve been getting back in shape by doing weights and running at the gym. Going to be mtbing again soon ( in addition ) as nothing beats it really.

DezB
    Free Member

The geex has spoken

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘Life After MTB – What Did You Replace it With?’ is closed to new replies.