• This topic has 5 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by TiRed.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Life after a bucket bike
  • scruffythefirst
    Free Member

Our Babboe curve trike is getting too small, especially with the rain cover on. 4 kids 3-7yo and they fight. Due to unforseen circumstances they won’t always be able to ride themselves (ex drops them off at school by car, I collect), and I’d like to be able to continue to or from work, 5 miles or so. Also used for trips into town, although the big 3 could ride that journey.

I’m loathe to do the school run by car, but what next? Some sort of long tail? Custom cover for the curve?

stwhannah

I’ll jump in first and shout the praises of a long tail! I have the Benno, and the larger wheels suit my local not-tarmac routes. Others will sing the praises of the Tern (which I envy for its adult carrying capacity), and then there’s the new Trek Fetch that I’m hoping we’ll get to test soon. Plus a host of harder to get hold of but often cheaper models, that may well be totally fine if you don’t have the extreme hills I have.

if you’re used to a massive bucket trike I think you’ll love how easy a long tail is to live with. It’s basically the same size as a modern XL mtb.

scruffythefirst
    Free Member

Can you get 4 kids on a long tail? Or 2-3 bikes 24″\20″

benp1

I can only get 3 on the back of my longtail (Surly Big Dummy). Could attach a trailer or ask one to ride? You can bag and drag a bike pretty easily, even with someone sitting on the bike, although not so much if they’re in a proper children seat (the type with straps and footrest).

I used to have one child up front on a weeride but my youngest is nearly 4 and pretty big, she doesn’t fit up front. Probably limited to about the age of a big 2 year old.

The best thing is it rides a lot like a normal bike when no one is on it and it’s narrower than a box bike. But I do think you’ll struggle to get 4 on a longtail, the rear rack just isn’t long enough (plus the handling wouldn’t be great). I tried two adults and a child on the back once and it was a bit wobbly…!

alpin
    Free Member

Decathlon have a long tail cargo bike. Not sure if available in the UK, but for the money it looks great.

TiRed

Thorn me’n’ U2 trike. Make them pedal. You’d need a Burley tagalong or trailer too since this mounts to a rack not a seat post. I sold my Burley tagalong which mounted to my kiddyback tandem. Was hard work when the road went up.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/bikes/thorn-me-n-u2-childback-triplet-yellow-new51237/

To be honest four on a single bike will always be a challenge. I’d be thinking adding a tagalong at the very least to get one out of the trike and pedalling. You can put the tagalong in the trike once you’re on your own if you find a folding gone like an Adams. they come in a rarer tandem version too if you want two out of the trike. Not a long term solution though for them not having a bike IN school when you collect them.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.