• This topic has 14 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by hooli.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Libre Office/ Open Office/?
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Looking for some “free” Office software

Any recommendations?

allthepies
    Free Member

Libre Office is good, I’ve used it to work on Microsoft Office originated word docs and it coped well.

sharkbait
    Free Member

[Not the answer you’re after]

Google Docs?

[/Not the answer you’re after]

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    dannybgoode

Office online is pretty good. Just a cut down full Office but plenty powerful enough for most jobs.

If you want installed software then Libre Office is where it’s at.

nickjb
    Free Member

I’ve used open office for years. Very happy with it. Have heard libre is a slightly improved version but it wouldn’t download when I set the wife’s laptop up so she has open office too. I use Google docs too but much prefer open office unless I’m specifically sharing the file

Cougar

Ok.

Libre and Open are forks of the same product. The short answer is that if you’re a home user, Libre is the one you want. The long answer is, well, long.

chakaping
    Free Member

Just switched to open office from Microsoft works on my new PC.

Hardly notice any difference tbh.

ratadog

Used both, Open for many years, Libre more recently. Libre seems slightly ahead at the moment and seems to have less incompatibility issues with Microsoft Office, although these are fairly minor in either case. Given the cost saving either is a no brainer.

mogrim

Spend a bit of cash and get Office. The available alternatives are light years behind.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I love open source, however!! I got soooooo fed up of OO, Libre and Google docs causing me a headache with .docx and .doc formatting for my uni work I gave into M$. It pains me to say it, but……….. It works well. The inbuilt Harvard referencing tool is ninja skillz. Grrrrrrrr, makes me feel angry the fact I’m enjoying using M$ stuff.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Not had cross compatibility issues for a long time now, I use Libre saving to docx (though MS Office supports open doc format now) and despite the warning it turns out as it should (though to be fair beyond some tables I don’t really do anything complex with it).

I just don’t get on with the 2010 toolbar, I know I really should move with the times but Libre is just more intuitive to me. And I own a copy of MS Office.

TooTall
    Free Member

Spend a bit of cash and get Office. The available alternatives are light years behind.

Most users would have no idea what Office can now do that is so much better. This is largely because most people don’t want, need nor use most of the functionality. It’s beyond what they need, so they could buy it and never ever use it.
    For most users, Libre or Open has what they need and then some.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

“ninja skillz”? Obviously the MS spell checker isn’t working.

timba
    Free Member

Libre Office here, it’s an excellent product. I ditched MS Office a couple of versions ago and the only minor problem that I’ve had has been editing Excel spreadsheets

When I format date cells (for example) to change my input 19/3/15 to 19th March 2015 automatically and then save as an Excel spreadsheet again, it “loses” that formatting. When re-opened in Libre it appears as 19/3/15. If I save as an open document (*.ods) then it’s fine

hooli

No issue with open office on the home laptop, it does look a bit different to MS office but only takes a few hours to get used to it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Libre Office/ Open Office/?’ is closed to new replies.