Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Lib Dem Election Fib
  • irc

A Lib Dem leaflet in the door for the upcoming Scottish Parliament elections – Clydebank and Milngavie constituency. Big Headline –

“In East Dunbartonshire It’s Between The Lib Dems and The SNP”

With a bar chart showing SNP 1,672 votes, Lie Dems 19,523 votes, Cons 7k votes, Lab 4k votes.

Only problem is that was the 2019 general election result for East Dunbartonshire. For the Scottish parliament there are different boundaries. Milngavie is with Clydebank rather than Kirkie and Bishopbriggs.

The last comparable 2016 election for Clydebank and Milngavie the Lib Dems were a poor 4th. parliament elections,

SNP Gil Paterson[a] 16,158
    Labour Gail Casey 7,726
    Conservative Maurice Golden 6,029
    Liberal Democrats Frank Bowles 2,925

And people wonder why politicians get poor trust ratings?

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Ha, we have a very similar “fake” claim where I live. I think it must be standard LD practice.

It annoys me so much I’ve even written to the LDs to complain. Never had a response from them.

Makes me think the LD are just a bad as the other main parties, and I would really rather not vote for any of them!!

towzer

“ Claims in marketing communications, whenever published or distributed, whose principal function is to influence voters in a local, regional, national or international election or referendum are exempt from the **advertising standards** Code.”

From. https://www.asa.org.uk/type/non_broadcast/code_section/07.html

All part of the fabulous political and voting system we have.

kelvin

2016 is a lifetime ago in politics.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

LibDem leaflets are infamous for their dodgy graphs and voter numbers.

In England election leafleting is not deemed an essential activity and currently banned. Some action on this for the London Mayoral elections

Cougar

LibDem political party leaflets are infamous for their dodgy graphs and voter numbers.

Can anyone think of one that isn’t? Not sure I can.

Northwind

They did this all over the place in the last election. In my seat they claimed to be the only opposition to the SNP when they polled less than 5% and were a distant 4th in the previous election, using a completely misleading graphic. The whole leaflet was an SNP hatchet job, all about how wanting a new referendum was undemocratic but of course wanting a new brexit referendum was totally different. This in Joanna Cherry’s seat, one of the single people most effective at fighting brexit. It came to nothing but if it was going to have any effect it’d have been to strengthen the tories.

The weird thing wasn’t that it was so fundamentally dishonest- though it was by far the worst of the leaflets I saw that year. The weird thing was that it was completely pointless. A targeted lie that can achieve you something, I can understand. A transparent lie that still leaves you 4th, damages an ally, strengthens a brexiteer, and leaves you even less trusted than you were before? It was just idiotic. And yes, they were 4th again. Luckily it was all too feeble to actually cause any damage

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/16/lib-dems-criticised-for-selective-use-of-polling-data-on-leaflets

Trimix
    Free Member

All the parties are full of crap like this. Not sure why anyone is surprised.

Voting is a bit like choosing to have brown or white bread with your shite sandwich.

I shall vote when I can find a party that is honest.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

All the parties are full of crap like this. Not sure why anyone is surprised.

Voting is a bit like choosing to have brown or white bread with your shite sandwich.

I shall vote when I can find a party that is honest.

Or you could stand yourself, if we continue to accept the same old same old why be surprised about who gets to spend our money? Lots of effort but unless people stand up what else is going to change things?

mattyfez

I can’t say I’ve ever had a lib dem leaflet, but the tory and labour ones I have had, were 6th form college news letter style propaganda.

Even emulating the red top news papers etc.

A sad state of affairs.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Lib Dem Election Fib’ is closed to new replies.