Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Liability, am I being unreasonable?
  • franksinatra

My kids (5 & 7) are joining an after school club that does group exercise/fitness/Zumba type stuff. They are really fit and healthy and totally into this sort of thing, especially if their friends are there.

I was just looking at the consent form which is all the usual stuff like allergies, contact details etc. it also includes a section on liability basically saying they accept no liability for any injury, however it is caused, even if it as a result of an error or omission by their instructors. It is not a risky activity so I am pragmatic about the risk, but is it reasonable for organisers of an activity to absolve themselves of all liability? They should have insurance.

Ai making too big a deal out of this?

grum
    Free Member

Those disclaimers are pretty much meaningless from a legal perspective IIRC.

scotroutes

+1 Sign what you want but they are still responsible.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    franksinatra

Not so much worried about whether or not I can sue them, just seems odd they they would even state that.

hels
    Free Member

You can’t sign yourself out of your legal rights. If they have been negligent, they are still responsible.

martinhutch

They can put what they want on the form – doesn’t mean that it actually holds any legal force whatsoever.

Came across some similar wording before my kid took part in supervised indoor surfing at Xscape in Castleford. Fine, it carries an element of risk, but it doesn’t exactly inspire confidence in any set-up that thinks that catch-all rejection of liability is appropriate.

fasthaggis

I don’t think they can have a liability waiver,can they?

franksinatra

Okey dokey, that is the form signed an another cheque written.

I think I was a actually just looking for a reason not to spend more money on another kid activity. Add that to rugby, ballet, tap, jazz, gymnastics and swimming and it costs a fortune.

franksinatra

Came across some similar wording before my kid took part in supervised indoor surfing at Xscape in Castleford. Fine, it carries an element of risk, but it doesn’t exactly inspire confidence in any set-up that thinks that catch-all rejection of liability is appropriate]

Exactly.

martinhutch

Zumba is the devil’s work. It’s not too late.

franksinatra

Exact wording is

by my signature hereto, I undertake not to hold the proprietor of ********* liable for any injury, loss or damage which I or my child might sustain whilst participating in the class arising irrespective of whether such loss, injury or damage can be attributed to any act or omission of an instructor of ******

bencooper
    Free Member

Zumba is the devil’s work. It’s not too late.

I know a girl who broke her back doing Zumba. Seriously.

franksinatra

Thanks Ben, just what I needed to hear…..

imnotverygood

I suspect she was doing it wrong.

antigee

as said above meaningless in law but the wording is a bit OTP – how abvout asking them for a copy of their risk assessment for the activity?

highclimber
    Free Member

You can’t disclaim negligence

bencooper
    Free Member

Sorry 😉

Actually, she was a gymnast at a very high level, and a theory was that she pulled a muscle doing the Zumba, and then when she was doing the gymnastics training something popped and cracked a vertebrae. After several operations she’s pretty much back to normal.

itsallgood

They can’t exclude duty of care, or liability to negligence in this manner.

The point i’d be more concerned about is that they think its a reasonable approach to try to exclude this, and/or are ignorant of their duties.

Insurance is another matter, they should have it. Its more how its structured, what type of org. they are, affiliated with a sport NGB etc.

You may want to point out *gently* that wording/approach is as useful as a chocolate fireguard.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Liability, am I being unreasonable?’ is closed to new replies.