Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • LGBT Junior School Nativities?
  • mos

I had no idea until someone told me this morning that some schools are actually having some of the traditional relationships in nativity plays portrayed as same sex, or even same non-sex gender neutral ‘ze’ thingys.
    Not really fussed either way but it just never occurred to me that it went on at such a young age.
    I suppose there will always be kids that start having thoughts that they may not fit the usual M/F stereotype at quite a young age, so probably a good thing in the long run.

nedrapier

We’ve always had cross-dressing in the theatre, and in school productions at any age through school. If there’s anywhere that needs LTBGQZStuff pushed into/over it, school drama has got to be down the list.

Especially in a story about 3 men travelling together, shepherds, non-consensual impregnation and non-biological parenting.

zippykona

I’m a man trapped in a donkey’s body.

andybrad

Im struggling to see (in my backward ways) why schools are doing this? whats wrong with the current stereotype of the story? (trying not going into whether its all nonsense or not)

Rubber_Buccaneer

I’m a man trapped in a donkey’s body.

I can’t see the picture here at work but I’m going to suggest you shoulda used lube 🙂

Pierre

It’s an interesting one. It depends on how you view the nativity play – a lot of schools use it as the yearly chance to just tell any old story, working in a way to get all the kids involved.

Also, a trans friend of mine does quite a lot of work visiting primary schools and talking about gender identity – she says she gets an amazing response because the primary-school-age kids are generally totally cool about it, especially when an actual trans person talks to them and answers their questions. She says it’s always their older siblings and their parents who get weird about it.

I think that’s the answer. I want my son to grow up accepting people for how they identify themselves. I don’t want to be the dinosaur who gets grumpy because the world’s changing and I don’t understand it… although it will take me a while to get the whole gender-neutral thing and use gender-neutral pronouns, because I’ve had 39 years of not doing so.

vinnyeh

I had no idea until some bloke* posted on the internet that someone told him this morning that some schools are actually having some of the traditional relationships in nativity plays portrayed as same sex, or even same non-sex gender neutral ‘ze’ thingys.

I can see how these things start. 8)

*I’m making a guess over this

RoterStern
    Free Member

I’m a man trapped in a donkey’s body. Strangely enough I’m a donkey trapped in man’s body!

jimjam
    Free Member

My daughter is playing one of the three wise men in her nursery nativity. Except, she’s a girl so she’s playing a “wise person” instead. Because obviously it would be sexist and misogynistic to have wise men. Unless of course you’re depicting something that supposedly happened in the middle east 2000 years ago.

kimbers

2000 years ago in a desert land very far away a woman is impregnated by god (who is an omnipotent non corporeal presence, an old cloud dwelling beardy guy and his own offspring at the same time), goes on a donkey ride with her remarkably naive husband, has to give birth in a squalid animal stable, is presented with gifts of great wealth by scholars, animal husbanders and hereditary rulers who were led there to the exact location and time by an astronomical phenomenon many 100s of 1000s of miles above their heads. Overseen by some supernatural aaryan looking avian human hybrids with long trumpets.
    Justifying us all to get a week off work and wait for a fat crimson german guy to squeeze down our chimneys, wear comedy jumpers to parties full of people we hate, blow 1000s of quid on crap we dont need, decorate our homes in pagan paraphanallia and watch James Bond on TV.

Xmas is a writhing, oiled up, strobe lit, orgy of religions, cultures and capitalism

If Jesus has 2 mommies I cant see it making much difference to anyone

not that I believe the annual bollox about jews, muslims, gays, genderfluid yoghurt knitters killing xmas that Britain First spread on facebook
    – If it really bothers you Id suggest you need to go for a bike ride or scoff a mince pie

kimbers

Roter Stern – Member
    I’m a man trapped in a donkey’s body. Strangely enough I’m a donkey trapped in man’s body!

qwerty
    Free Member

In my sons school we have a 9 year old child born female who is now a boy. Eye opener for me, but these realizations can happen very early on & it can be detrimental if suppressed. Life goes on.

allthegear
    Free Member

Let me guess – eye opener for you, mostly “meh” for the kids?

martymac

go for a bike ride

Good idea . .

Nico
    Free Member

Kids are a tabula rasa. Start ’em early. Then when they’re forty and it’s time for them to be told that they’re bigots, the next generation will have to work harder to find a stick to beat them with.

qwerty
    Free Member

Let me guess – eye opener for you, mostly “meh” for the kids?

Absolutely correct.

project
    Free Member

Wheres clause 28 gone,
    Thankfully every day is a day further from those idiots ideas.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

LGBT people in “taking small steps towards being accepted by wider society rather than being sidelined and ridiculed” horror.

zippykona

Thankfully every day is a day further from those idiots ideas.

We must be vigilant, the people of hate are smelling blood.

anagallis_arvensis

I had no idea until someone told me this morning that they read any old bull shit on facebook as fact

FIFY

zippykona

When I started secondary school in 76 I always remember the teacher saying that you were only permitted stud earrings. “Obviously I’m only talking to the girls unless you are queer.” That was a lady teacher as well.

Junkyard
    Free Member

things had moved on by the 80’s as i only got asked if i was gay by a teacher when i pierced the “wrong” ear
    I forget which one it was now was the “gay” one

As above i may struggle with ze* and all that but life is progress and i want to live in a world were LGBT folk get treated as well and have the same opportunities as this white fella gets

I know a person who wishes me to use this so I did but i dont in general

I dont know that many folk who dont accept their gender as a label whatever their sexuality

the-muffin-man

A few years ago now my daughter played Joseph! At her request too.

Mister-P
    Free Member

watch James Bond on TV

And it better be a Roger Moore Bond.

miketually
    Free Member

I’ve heard that some girls are playing with Lego these days. And not just the shit ones where they can make juice bars and stuff.

It’s PC gone mad I tell you. They’ll be letting them get degrees next.

nickc

They’ll be letting them get degrees next.

and some of them wear trousers! They’ll be voting next, it’s never ending let me tell you…

miketually
    Free Member

You can’t even say you’re English these days without getting locked up.

Cougar

someone told me this morning that some schools

Sounds like a cast iron reliable source to me.

alpin
    Free Member

Kimbers…. Nicely put.

Junkyard
    Free Member

😆

MSP

I think he meant knocked up.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Can’t say I totally agree. Who cares who plays the parts? Largely irrelevant but buggering about with a traditional story to fit modern views is just plain stupid. The origins of the story has wise men I believe and thus cannot be changed. Wise persons! Crap and nonsense! Much the same as the story that popped up on the radio about Guy Gibson’s dog not being called **** any more in some modern version of the story.
    Of course, in our modern day where any little variation on the old ways is seen as acceptable and everyone is allowed their own views, I won’t be allowed mine will I?

Cougar

The origins of the story has wise men I believe and thus cannot be changed.

Of course it can. Compare Chris Nolan’s Batman to the 60s TV show.

(The nativity origins probably have their roots in some pagan folklore or other anyway, so may well have already been changed considerably.)

Of course, in our modern day where any little variation on the old ways is seen as acceptable and everyone is allowed their own views, I won’t be allowed mine will I?

You’re allowed whatever views you like, just as I’m allowed to challenge them when they’re wrong. (-:

cloudnine
    Free Member

It’s a miracle! Daddy Mary is pregnant

RustySpanner

Books and films?
    I agree – they are a product of their time.
    Don’t change them, they show how far we’ve come.

Nativity plays are different.
    Mess about with them all you like, include everyone who wants to be included.

They’re only kids, I reckon we can leave questions about biblical revisionism for a few years yet.

nickc

The origins of the story has wise men I believe and thus cannot be changed.

I’ve seen Nativity plays that seem to suggest otherwise.

perchypanther
    Free Member

This is really going to mess things up for Boney M.

Cougar

White boy in the ring?

enfht
    Free Member

No doubt dreamt up by the Safe Space ‘snow flake’ generation of teaching stock, so thankfully just a blip. Nobody wants LGBT hitler youth indoctrination.

jonba
    Free Member

As Joseph had no part in the conception I guess he could be replaced in the story fairly conveniently.

I don’t think that people should worry too much about this. If they do, they should probably focus in on girls always playing angels. Blatant discrimination by someone somewhere there I tell you.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘LGBT Junior School Nativities?’ is closed to new replies.