Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Lewis Hamilton's accent
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Wtf is it? Surely it’s an affectation… I can’t think of any part of the UK that speaks like that.

RobHilton
    Free Member

tyta?

What part of the UK speaks like that? 😀

nickjb
    Free Member

Does he live in part of the UK?

Stoner
    Free Member

Monaco. Westside, innit.

properbikeco
    Free Member

lives somewhere up his M1

binners

He’s actually from Wythenshawe but hides it quite well

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S8w7IUn4-g[/video]

nickc

I think spending a lot of my time with people that have English as a second language I’d start to speak like them as well…

piemonster

I think spending a lot of my time with people that have English as a second language I’d start to speak like them as well…

Dunno about that. I’ve been in Dundee for 5 years now and still don’t sound like them…

br
    Free Member

This.

According to my Missus I use to do the same.

loddrik
    Free Member

Don’t believe that you won’t if you don’t want to. My wife has been in liverpool for 17 years now, nearly half her life, she doesn’t sound any different from the day I met her.

My dad was from Glasgow but lived in Toronto for the majority of his life. He always sounded 100% glaswegian.

Kryton57

Stoner – Member
    Westside, innit.

Oh wait, is Lewis Hamilton an American rapper or Tim Westwood in disguise?

Or are you stereotyping based on your clearly limited racial profiling expertise?

nickc

I don’t think the effect is as pronounced with very strong accents. It’s more with Europeans and Middle Eastern folk who learned English accentlessly or through Business and not through a dialect, you end up with that curious “mid atlantic” version which is not quite UK, not quite US english.

Sounds odd.

kayla1
    Free Member

Some of the native English speaking MotoGP riders do this sometimes as well, Jack Miller was terrible for it last year then seemed to pull himself together. Randy Mamola lived/lives in Barcelona and listening to him pitch in when the GPs were on Eurosport was funny and Cal Crutchlow springs to mind too.

You acquire the language around you, a bit like picking up an accent when you move to somewhere with a different one to where you were brought up. I’m from North Shields and am gutted I now sound like a f-ing Mackem because I’ve lived in Peterlee for six or so years 😆

hora
    Free Member

Mrshora has been in Manchester for 5yrs and left Huddersfield in the same year as me- everyone thinks shes a local born and bred Mancunian.

I’ve been away from Yorkshire since 1994 yet I sound like a run the local farm on t’ops from thar Yorkshire lad (still)..

badnewz
    Free Member

He’s from my neck-of-the-woods, East Herts, mixed with Monaco, not my neck of the woods.

hels
    Free Member

My accent moves about according to the company I keep. I sound much much more Kiwi after a few days in the Land of the Long White Cloud.

ads678

Remember that he’s spent a lot of his growing years outside of the uk and alongside people from all nationalities, so something is gonna rub off.

I spent a while (nearly a year) in Australia when I was about 21/22ish and when i came back people commented on my accent.

I have friends who moved to NZ a few years ago when they were in their 40’s and they’ve definitely pucked ip a bida the linguige A.

scotroutes

Dunno about that. I’ve been in Dundee for 5 years now and still don’t sound like them…[/quote]Says you.

BoardinBob

If you see footage of a young Hamilton he was a proper geezer. He’s been groomed for stardom since he was young and I reckon elocution lessons were a big part.

badnewz
    Free Member

He’s been groomed for stardom since he was young and I reckon elocution lessons were a big part.

This is the reason so many professional sportspeople are as dull as dishwater. They won’t say anything to reveal character. I hope they leave the bikes alone, as Rossi has more character in his little finger than all the F1 dullards put together.

hora
    Free Member

I don’t understand the dislike for Lewis. Almost as though we think of him from ‘one of us’ made good and we don’t like it? We think hes flaunting it etc? I Say ‘we’. I don’t think any of that.

Why not dislike for Jenson or others? Hes a young single bloke enjoying his job and his life. Hes not a boxer being photographed with alot of cash in hands on social media.

His accent is a product of working with men and women from different nationalities and spending a huge chunk of his time in their company. He doesn’t clock off at 5.30pm and sit infront of Corrie all evening.

His longterm ex-girlfriend is American etc etc.

Honestly I don’t get it. We really don’t like Brits done well do we? We only like plucky Brits and foreign cheats who win.

If you want humour. When he and Vettel were interviewed and both asked what their biggest purchases were Vettel answered ‘a house’. A pause, a long pause then an embarrassed look ‘a private jet’. Vettel laughs and looks sideways at Lewis :mrgreen:

badnewz
    Free Member

I think the tide of opinion is now turning in favour of Hamilton. He’s like Andy Murray, who needed to show more weakness and humility before people could begin to identify with him.
    The other way to do it would be to show more humour, so maybe LH should consider some standup on the Monaco club circuit.

mogrim

I don’t understand the dislike for Lewis

I like him as his success winds up the Spanish fans no end 😀

SaxonRider

badnewz – Member
    I hope they leave the bikes alone, as Rossi has more character in his little finger than all the F1 dullards put together.

I don’t know about F1 drivers being dullards. I always thought that David Coulthard had a bit of spark in him. And poor old Jacques Villeneuve always got a bad rap precisely because he had spark.

badnewz
    Free Member

I’m sure some of the F1 drivers do have real personalities, but it seems they are forced to be as corporate/monotone as possible. I think this is coming from the sponsors, who are obsessed with risk-management. But in the long run it just makes sport increasingly pedestrian and boring.

GrahamS

Zis discussion is incomplete wit’out mentioning ze Joey Barton fae Merseyside:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBgKudlYhJE[/video]

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Really? Who gives a sh t – if you’re going to pick on something, then surely that ridiculous gold chain, but then again, who gives a sh t 😉

binners

Zis discussion is incomplete wit’out mentioning ze Joey Barton fae Merseyside:

or Shteev Maclaren

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZnoP4sUV90[/video]

stumpy01

Kryton57 – Member

Oh wait, is Lewis Hamilton an American rapper or Tim Westwood in disguise?

Or are you stereotyping based on your clearly limited racial profiling expertise?

Eh? I think it was just a joke, and/or perhaps a reference about the well known fact that he hangs around a lot of rappers and there has been mention of him ‘going into the studio’ etc……

No need to go all ‘Daily Mail’…..!

Mates of mine moved to Perth, Oz in around 2004 and have developed a distinct Oz twang.
    I have been living in East Anglia for years and react with horror when I occasionally turn my u’s into oooo’s – That’s bloody huge’ turns into ‘That’s bloody hoooge’. GAH, sound like a web footed carrot munching simpleton!! 😀

plumber
    Free Member

It more to do with grooming that McLaren/Mercedes have given him over the years

Sponsors are king therefore speak with a bland accent and say effectively nothing

stumpy01

Joss Stone was pretty funny. Spent about 6 months in America and came back with a massive ego & an even larger American accent.

She soon went back to the local West Country accent when everyone was all like Girl, WTF? in her grill etc.

hilldodger
    Free Member

I don’t understand the dislike for Lewis….

…..bitterness and envy?

slowoldman

in her grill

Eh?

bikebouy
    Free Member

I spent my school years in Fort Lauderdale, FL.. returned here during A levels, never picked up an American accent whilst there but when here I was told there was a hint of it.
    Still get asked where I’m from to this day.

You just kinda morph don’t you?

stumpy01

slowoldman – Member

Eh?

You know really, don’t you? If not, then please follow links to these handy reference guides:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=all+up+in+my+grill

http://onlineslangdictionary.com/meaning-definition-of/up-in-(one’s)-grill

HTH (text speak for Hope That/This Helps, in case you were wondering?)

Again, handy reference guides:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=HTH

http://onlineslangdictionary.com/meaning-definition-of/hth

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Some people are particularly prone to accent swapping, mine is pretty slag like and jumps aboard whoever I’m around. Whenever I used to spend a lot of time over in the North East the Mrs would go mad as I’d be speaking “like a proper Geordie…”, once I was back West I’d slip back into Dumbrian. It happens if I go North/South too but not quite as bad. I don’t even realise I’m doing it 😳

binners

Mrs Binners says she can gauge what mood I’m in by my accent. Apparently the more pissed off I am, the more Manc I go. If I’m in a really bad mood, I go full Salford 6 😀

chewkw
    Free Member

I have lived in GeordieLand for sometime now but I still have to constantly remind the locals to speak English like I do. 😆

hora
    Free Member

Mrs Binners says she can gauge what mood I’m in by my accent. Apparently the more pissed off I am, the more Manc I go. If I’m in a really bad mood

I was chatting to my next door neighbour on her drive and hora junior ran past us and into her house. I said ‘careful hes a manc and will have your telly etc’…. she replied ‘oi you cheeky **** I’m a **** manc too’ 😆

Scamper
    Free Member

Lived in Brum for 6 years and I think I have a neutral accent. However, when I meet people for the first time and tell them where I live their reaction is, “thought so, can tell from your accent”. Which is a worry. I even called someone `babs’ the other day. 😯

We then have my born and bred Birmingham son who is almost four. He talks like Barry on a bad day, and we have no idea what he is saying half the time especially when he goes up and down the octave range whilst extending the pronunciation of the final part of a word. Our next move could be to Plymouth which will mess up his accent nicely.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Lewis Hamilton's accent’ is closed to new replies.