Viewing 31 posts - 81 through 111 (of 111 total)
  • Lewis Hamilton telling us to go greener..
  • MarkBrewer
    Free Member

How did you find that out? Normally vegans are so restrained about telling people such things…

My first thoughts when I read about what he said were along those lines, just another bloody vegan telling everyone about it!

But if there is evidence to say it would help the environment I reckon he’s probably just using his fame to try and make a difference, who knows maybe he’s just feeling a bit guilty about all the private jets etc in the past?

One thing I did think was strange is in that Instagram post he said it’s taken him 32 years to understand the impact he’s having on the world. He’s 34 though, why is he only going back to the age of 2 🤔

dissonance

All of these restrictive ideas that the more self righteous STW members have suggested sound a lot like fascism

You may need to elaborate on that. What exactly is reminding you of fascism or are you just choosing random political words to sound good?

chewkw
    Free Member

Has led by example by selling his private jet…

I struggle to take advice on green issues from a man who has probably had a carbon footprint 100x more than mine over past 10 years.

If I had millions in my bank account I would tell everyone to live a hermit lifestyle.

LAT

Those who instantly cry foul and start pointing out the perceived hypocrisy are really just looking to excuse their own unwillingness to adjust their own lifestyles.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. It’s a bit like climate change deniers who work in the oil and gas industry.

mashr

TBF I’d probably just charter nicer planes than the one I own too

funkmasterp

It’s a bit cheeky in my opinion. Somebody like Bill Gates who’s actively trying to do good I’d take it from. Someone who’s basically saying “Hey come on guys I’ve sold my plane. You should do your bit too” not so much.

Greta Thunberg is a much better spokesperson than somebody who rags cars about for a living. Put your money where your mouth is Lewis, it’ll go a damn sight further than selling your plane if you’re serious about the issue and not just listening to your marketing team.

Konastoner
    Free Member

Hmm…..lets see how long Mr Lewis would last if he gave up his gazillions and lived in a cave (Truely Carbon Neutral). Maybe a week? I’d pay to watch that on Discovery Channel.

ctk
    Free Member

Insta post on how LH carbon offsets all his flights in 5,4,3…

Edukator
    Free Member

Just the same level of tax on kerosene as on petrol would be enough to stop most people flying. People fly at present because it’s cheaper than any other way of travelling long distance. I take the bus around Europe even though I almost always find cheaper flights available.

pondo

I’d pay to watch that on Discovery Channel.

That’s not very environmentally friendly of you.

hols2
    Free Member

People fly at present because it’s cheaper than any other way of travelling long distance.

It’s also a little bit quicker if you want to go to North America, Australia, etc.

El-bent
    Free Member

He could easily retire, live a simple ultra green life, anywhere in the world he wanted to. Make a simple statement that motor sport has run it’s course and is no longer appropriate in this day and age, and quit. But he hasn’t so everything he’s got to say on the matter is humbug.

Thank you for making my point.

LAT

He could easily retire, live a simple ultra green life

he could, but perhaps the notion had never crossed his mind until last weekend. His life has been very different to most folks, I suspect.

ayjaydoubleyou

He could easily retire, live a simple ultra green life

Full disclaimer, I disliked the diamond earringed petulent man-child even before he went vegan, and I think that F1 in its current guise is nearly as dull as premier league football.

But weigh up the overall environmental benefit of

A) retiring to a yurt and eating local lentils for the rest of his life, occasionally tweeting about the new shirt he’s made from his awful hair.

B) using the maybe 10 or so years he has left as one of the top “characters” in the top level of motorsport in the world, as a platform to reach a large number of people across the world, people who are probably above average wealth and enjoy excessive consumption.

Preaching to the converted is easy, and has limited benefit. He’s trying to make a difference in an audience that he well knows will be hostile to the idea – and for that, he has earnt some respect from me.

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

The single biggest statement he could make is to cancel his contract and join Formula E.

‘I’ve sold my plane’…FFS

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Want to help the planet? Stop having kids.

Having one less child saves the equivalent of 58.6 tonnes of CO2 emissions a year.

Living car-free saves approximately 2.4 tonnes CO2 equivalent per year.

Avoiding one Transatlantic flight saves between 0.7 and 2.8 tonnes of CO2 equivalent per year.

If you have more than one child you are the problem, regardless of how much you think your ‘green mindedness’ is helping. A permanent tyre fire in your back garden would probably kick out less CO2 equivalent emissions than that little sister for Tarquin you just insisted on setting loose on the world.

hols2
    Free Member

If you have more than one child you are the problem, regardless of how much you think your ‘green mindedness’ is helping.

Christ, family get togethers must be fun with you around. ‘Hey Grandma you ****, why didn’t you learn to keep your knickers on instead of ****ing up the world having kids.”

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Christ, family get togethers must be fun with you around. ‘Hey Grandma you ****, why didn’t you learn to keep your knickers on instead of ****ing up the world having kids.”

All 4 of my grandparents are dead.

ehrob

for anyone late to this, to save you the trouble of reading the whole thread, molgrips has it on page 2.

ayjaydoubleyou

Want to help the planet? Stop having kids.

Having one less child saves the equivalent of 58.6 tonnes of CO2 emissions a year.

Living car-free saves approximately 2.4 tonnes CO2 equivalent per year.

Avoiding one Transatlantic flight saves between 0.7 and 2.8 tonnes of CO2 equivalent per year.

If you have more than one child you are the problem, regardless of how much you think your ‘green mindedness’ is helping. A permanent tyre fire in your back garden would probably kick out less CO2 equivalent emissions than that little sister for Tarquin you just insisted on setting loose on the world.

Agreed. Obviously we cant all go voluntarily sterile, because we’d just extinct ourselves that way, but an overall reduction in reproduction is desperately needed.

Some people have that parental instinct, and I guess that should be encouraged – decent caring parents for their offspring who will carry on the human race.

But far too many just think that partnering up and popping out kids is just sort of what you do with your life…

The millions who sit on their sofas and watch Lewis race motor cars do far more damage than Lewis himself

nickc

Want to help the planet? Stop having kids. Having one less child saves the equivalent of 58.6 tonnes of CO2 emissions a year.

I don’t think Lewis has any kids, so on that score, he’s doing pretty well then.

johndoh
    Free Member

All 4 of my grandparents are dead.

Tell your mum and dad then – they are not blameless.

taxi25
    Free Member

But far too many just think that partnering up and popping out kids is just sort of what you do with your life…

If there is a single meaning of life, propagation of the species would be it.

ransos
    Free Member

That’s vanishingly unlikely to be true.

funkmasterp

If there are no kids there is no next generation to try to undo the huge **** ups of the last few generations. How about we just go all Logan’s Run and knock people off after a certain age? Surely adults create more CO2 than kids.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Actually in the developed world our birthrates are too low to sustain our populations and having to rely on immigration to maintain them. In fact most countries in the EU and the states are facing population crisis with an average rate of 1.6 kids per family which is way too low to sustain a population let alone grow it. Why do you think Merkel let in one million ‘child’ refugees? it wasn’t out of the kindness of her heart, it was to prop up the German population as they’re suffering more than most EU countries (no migrants want to go to Germany apparently). It’s the developing world that pops out kids by the 5 – 10. Partly because of the typically high childhood mortality rate that they suffer due to proper poverty, and the fact they need labour to earn the couple of dollars a day they need to survive. So exactly who should stop having kids? Us decadent westerners in the first world or those in real poverty in the under developed and developing world?

So there notion that the cause of the climate crisis or any other problem is population is incorrect. But in the modern way we seem to approach problems why bother with facts or science. Lets just react to whatever outrage is occurring on the interweb.

This is b-locks considering the average UK household has 1.6 children and the whole household produces an average of a little over 20 tonnes of CO2 a year so what kind of child are you thinking about that produces 58 tonnes a year?

sootyandjim
    Free Member

That’s vanishingly unlikely to be true.

And

This is b-locks

Fill your boots.

https://www.lunduniversity.lu.se/article/the-four-lifestyle-choices-that-most-reduce-your-carbon-footprint

ransos
    Free Member

Fill your boots.

https://www.lunduniversity.lu.se/article/the-four-lifestyle-choices-that-most-reduce-your-carbon-footprint

Yup, so an average figure if we extrapolate for future descendants at current emissions rates. There are so many problems with such a claim, it’s difficult to know where to start.

jimster01

Has anyone considered the carbon footprint of a bike/components

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

If there are no kids there is no next generation to try to undo the huge **** ups of the last few generations.

Filter out kids that are going to have a low IQ or are genetically inclined towards occupations that pay badly, as we need the taxes from high earning kids to try to tackle climate change as well as pay the pension burden.

Perhaps embryo screening ? But before 3 months as abortions after that can get messy…

Same with immigrants, if they are not likely to earn a good wage then we don’t want them as their tax yields will be low.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

retiring to a yurt and eating local lentils for the rest of his life

he’s not likely to be carbon neutral on that diet…

Viewing 31 posts - 81 through 111 (of 111 total)

The topic ‘Lewis Hamilton telling us to go greener..’ is closed to new replies.