Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 111 total)
  • Lewis Hamilton telling us to go greener..
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

Has led by example by selling his private jet…

I struggle to take advice on green issues from a man who has probably had a carbon footprint 100x more than mine over past 10 years.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

He could help more by paying tax in the UK.

sharkbait
    Free Member

He does drive a hybrid car though.

wwaswas

He’s capable of anything when it comes to the environment except self reflection it seems.

cyclelife
    Free Member

Fed up of wealthy hypocrites telling me what to do!

hols2
    Free Member

Well, if he said “**** the environment, let’s just burn the place down”, it would be very bad. If he said nothing and pretended there was no problem, it would be better. Saying that we should address the problem is much better still.

On the bright side, the hybrid engines have seen a huge increase in efficiency, up from about 30% or 35% to about 50% now. That means that the engineers have a much better understanding of the combustion process and how to extract energy from it. Whether that’s actually relevant is another question, but emphasizing the efficiency of hybrids is better than when sheer brute power was the only thing that mattered.

taxi25
    Free Member

He has gone vegan though 👍👍

scotroutes

I think his car still does 5 mpg. Add to that all the air travel for him and everyone else connected to motor racing…

mashr

I think his car still does 5 mpg

I think it’d do a great deal more in the Combined MPG test

hols2
    Free Member

Add to that all the air travel for him and everyone else connected to motor racing…

The same can be said of any major sport or entertainment. Tens of thousands of fans have flown to Japan to watch the rugby. Every time there’s a major sports event or concert on, tens of thousands of people drive to see. Should we ban traveling for sports and entertainment and limit entry to people who walk or cycle there?

kayla1
    Free Member

If he’d really wanted to do something about it he could held on to his jet and had it disassembled so it could never be used again, and packed his job in stating why he was packing his job in.

Meh. The job’s ****. Do what you can, if you want, but until every other massive thing that makes money on the back of **** the planet is stopped (by law or force) the job’s ****.

darthpunk
    Free Member

Lewis Hamilton saying people should be greener is like Hannibal Lector putting out a vegan cookbook (unless it’s called “how to cook Vegans”)

sootyandjim
    Free Member

He has gone vegan though 👍👍

How did you find that out? Normally vegans are so restrained about telling people such things…

kerley
    Free Member

Should we ban traveling for sports and entertainment

I would.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Should we ban traveling for sports and entertainment and limit entry to people who walk or cycle there?

Probably

taxi25
    Free Member

Should we ban traveling for sports and entertainment

I would.

So you never do, no holidays, never go further than what you can walk or cycle ? How many people would want to live in a world where such freedoms were taken from us, basically slaves.

martymac

Many years ago, i seem to recall that F1 cars did 1.9mpg or thereabouts.
    So 5mpg is quite an improvement.

johndoh
    Free Member

It does seem a particularly odd thing for him to suddenly open up about.

Apart from the fact he now has a vegan burger bar.

the-muffin-man

He’s been open about it for a good while now – it’s just his Instagram post from yesterday was a tabloids wet-dream.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

how to cook Vegans

Rare, preferably. Some of my favourite ingredients are vegan.

zzjabzz
    Free Member

How many people would want to live in a world where such freedoms were taken from us

Some people want the freedom to fly to Benidorm, some people want the freedom to throw carrier bags in the ocean. I guess you draw your own line depending on how long you want the earth to continue to sustain life…

kayla1
    Free Member

So you never do, no holidays, never go further than what you can walk or cycle ? How many people would want to live in a world where such freedoms were taken from us, basically slaves.

Me First and Gimme Gimme Gimmes.

Nobody suggested having to work 24/7 or not being able to travel. You can easily do 70 miles in a day by bike if you wanted to see the world. Also, driving and flying are hardly innate human rights.

moshimonster
    Free Member

Well, if he said “**** the environment, let’s just burn the place down”, it would be very bad. If he said nothing and pretended there was no problem, it would be better. Saying that we should address the problem is much better still.

+1
    He’s in the public eye and making a statement that actually makes sense. It obviously clashes massively with his jetset lifestyle, but he is still not wrong. For him, doing “something” might be selling his private jet. For an average guy in the street doing “something” might be buying a more efficient car. If we all do nothing then there will be no progress at all. If everyone does “something” it will make a big collective difference.

the-muffin-man

Nice unbiased report there woody2000 – are there reports on the global impact and financial greed of of Football? Athletics? Tennis? Horse Racing? Professional Cycling?

hols2
    Free Member

You can easily do 70 miles in a day by bike if you wanted to see the world.

I don’t think the average person planning their holidays is going to be much attracted by this.

squirrelking
    Free Member

TdF must have quite the footprint. I suppose we should just stop listening to anybody who has ever done anything.

bikebouy
    Free Member

He could help more by paying tax in the UK.

Indeed, like all the Pro Cyclists who have scooted off to Monaco.. But hey, plenty of Oligarchs living in London paying nowt here, but in their own country/offshore investment house.

Same old argument, the Laws were made to actually assist offshoring, not restrict it… Wasn’t it Norman Lamont (Tory) that started it?

pondo

Absolutely – he’s got a lot of fans, so him saying it will also have a much wider influence than me having vegetarian sausages with my breakfast this morning and walking to work (both of which I did – get me!). Good on him.

woody2000

Of course, every global sport/event has an enviromental impact.  But we were talking about an F1 driver giving some advice on being greener so I cherry picked an article about F1

nickc

I struggle to take advice…

we’re all on the same journey, we’re all starting at different places. As others have mentioned, he has influence, and he’s starting to do his bit.

chapeau.

TdF must have quite the footprint

They could easily use electric support vehicles for instance.

kayla1
    Free Member

I don’t think the average person planning their holidays is going to be much attracted by this.

I didn’t say they would.

trumpton
    Free Member

he uses a push scooter to get around the circuit. So no motorbike.

mashr

They could easily use electric support vehicles for instance.

Only really now tbf, and even then they teams need the sponsorship money from the car manufacturers so not all could yet play. Would also then need charging infrastructure to be in place at all the random towns/villages/hotels they have to use throughout the race

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

There are some very big issue affecting the world and climate that should be tackled first rather than trying to get individual habits to change, which will have a much less significant effect.

Such as the fires in Indonesia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_change_in_Indonesia

in 2015 “The fires released enough greenhouse gasses for Indonesia to produce more daily emissions than the United States for 38 days.”

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/indonesia-forest-fires-haze-climate-impact-carbon-masagos-11946108

“Forest and land fires burning in Indonesia have released 360 million tonnes of carbon dioxide since August, said Singapore’s Minister for the Environment and Water Resources Masagos Zulkifli on Thursday (Sep 26).

That’s more than Spain’s emissions for the whole year in 2018, he added.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/indonesia-forest-fires-haze-climate-impact-carbon-masagos-11946108″

“Greenpeace estimates that in the past 50 years, more than 74 million hectares of Indonesia’s biodiverse rainforests – an area twice the size of Germany – have been chopped down, degraded or burned.

They have often been destroyed to make way for plantations for the lucrative palm oil and pulpwood industries, particularly on Sumatra and Borneo islands, with fires often started illegally to clear land.”

and then there is the Amazon :

“The fires in Indonesia are far smaller than those in the Amazon, the world’s biggest rainforest.

Close to 2.5 million hectares of land was burnt in August, Greenpeace has said, citing data from INPE, Brazil’s national space research institute.

Wildfires in Bolivia have torched 2 million hectares of forest and grassland since August, while in Brazil, 88,816 fires were recorded from January to the end of August, over half of them in the rainforest.”

More developed countries need to take action – maybe pay higher taxes to pay these countries for the loss of not using one of their natural resources.

Plastic pollution needs an engineering solution to go clear the oceans – we can collect shed loads of fish from it, why not plastic?

timbog160

Lots more still to do, but sounds like a step in the right direction. Well done Lewis.

Edukator
    Free Member

The problem is who do you get to put over the environmental message without them being labeled a grade-A hypocrit?

Greta Tunburg has the advantage of being 16 and not having a personal history of gratuitous environmental destruction.

Much as I love to watch Hamilton lose, which he doesn’t do often enough, anyone who is prepared to stick their head above the parapet, state the obvious and take the inevitable shit gets my approval.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Bernie Ecclestone ought to be brought into the whole argument…

hols2
    Free Member

Plastic pollution needs an engineering solution to go clear the oceans – we can collect shed loads of fish from it, why not plastic?

The costs of collecting fish are covered by selling the fish as food, it’s a very lucrative industry. Nobody wants to buy old plastic. The problem isn’t one of engineering, it’s finding the money to pay for it. Much easier to not put plastic into the ocean in the first place than to fish it out again later.

mashr

Greta Tunburg has the advantage of being 16 and not having a personal history of gratuitous environmental destruction.

Then you just see the “she’s a puppet” bollocks getting rolled out instead

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 111 total)

The topic ‘Lewis Hamilton telling us to go greener..’ is closed to new replies.