Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Lewis and Harris advice.
  • stanfree
    Free Member

Looking to drive to Ullapool with a couple of mates then cross to Stornoway , then maybe 3 days on the island . Going to take some camping gear but probably have a night in a hostel as well. Any advice would be appreciated , would obviously want to see Luskentyre , Selliebost and back up to Callanish to see the stones.
    I’ll basically cross back over to Ullapool and drive back home on the 5th morning. Thanks in advance.

ElShalimo

Lots of good advice below from when I asked 18months ago:

Tips for a week on Lewis & Harris trip in May

flange
    Free Member

I’ve been to Harris – one word – midges. Made the whole thing bloody hard work. still an amazing place though, and the beach (can’t remember what it’s called) is amazing.

brads
    Free Member

Don’t hang washing out on Sundays 🙂

Seriously , you will love it. I did Barra up to Lewis on the motorbike and it was a trip of a lifetime.

Cycle the gold road if you get the chance.

And eat black pudding. Lots of it.

Only thing I really miss now that I’m veggie.

Beach is Luskintyre

dovebiker

Go in May, no midges.

Suggestions would be Callanish, Uig, Ghearrannan (black houses) and Butt of Lewis/Port Ness for Lewis – at least 1.5 days

Another day for South Harris, the beaches and the Golden Road.

epicyclo

Dress for weather and you’ll enjoy it, even the wind. 🙂

zippykona

And send pictures.

matt_outandabout

I’ll see you there. We’ve family holiday there first week in July.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Lewis is featureless peat bog so I recommend staying in Harris

scotroutes

Some featureless peat bog in Lewis

beefy

#like scotroutes.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Some featureless peat bog in Lewis

Plenty of great beaches in Harris and much less featureless bog with wind farms

ElShalimo

FWIW, when we were there in Sept, Luskentyre beach was mad busy and felt a bit ruined by loud music, dog crap etc. It is nice and the views over to the hills are fab. Seilebost beach was really nice too and much quieter.

Traigh Mheilein (accessed from Huisinish) was stunning by comparison. Nobody there, equally beautiful scenery. Probably best at low tide

The golden road is fab and can be easily extended to a much longer loop. We did Seilebost – Golden Road – Luskentyre – Seilebost

ransos
    Free Member

The beaches on Harris are stunning and mostly empty. The water is freezing so take a wetsuit.

Scalpay is worth a visit (bridge from Harris), there’s a lovely walk round the island. No alcohol on the island when I was there, don’t know if that’s changed.

Good beaches in the north of Lewis, may look like they’re accessible by car but access tracks could quickly turn to soft sand and trap the unwary. DAMHIKT.

toby

You don’t say when you’re intending to go, but bear in mind that they’re not being particularly welcoming to visitors at the moment with the pandemic.

Otherwise it’s a wonderful part of the world, I’d add a trip out towards Uig to see Reef and Cliff beaches and looking for the bothy at Mangurstdh to the to-see list. The food in the old school you drive past on the way(Loch Croistean Coffee Shop) was superb too.

ElShalimo

bear in mind that they’re not being particularly welcoming to visitors at the moment with the pandemic.

This is not true based on our experience in September. They do welcome responsible visitors who have pre-booked their accommodation/camping etc.

stanfree
    Free Member

Yes , for the record I wasn’t thinking of going next week , I’m thinking maybe April / May as I’ll have a suitable bike by then . It could be a long few days on a Trek Slash but the postmans road would be good.
    Thanks for the info though , Looks like ill spend most of my time in Harris .Next question frame bag or good old panniers. 😉

epicyclo

stanfree
    Next question frame bag or good old panniers.

If you stick to the road, then whatever suits you.

Otherwise, some of the best bits of Harris have hike a bike sections to get to the next good bit, so whatever enables you to push or carry your bike more easily.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Lewis and Harris advice.’ is closed to new replies.