Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • lever operated thru-axle for rear of Stumpjumper?
  • lardman
    Free Member

I have a 2018 carbon stumpy, which has a standard bolt thru boost axle. What i’d like is a lever type (sort of twist and remove with no tools) axle for it.

Is the spesh axle bespoke/proprietary? It’s got a sort of conical collar which sits into a chamfered recess on the frame. Not sure if another manufacturers standard ‘maxle’ or whatever name would work?

I can find replacement bolt in axles that use a tool to tighten, but not twist release style.

anyone done this?

Tracey

We have both on the 142 x 12 rear, depending on the model depended on which they fitted, however on the 148 x 12 boosts all ours are with the hex head to remove it. When we queried it we were told that it was part of the SWAT system and designed in conjunction with the SWAT multi tool.

SirHC

DT Swiss made them for the older Stumpy’s & Enduros, they may make them for the new ones?

https://www.amaincycling.com/specialized-2014-camber-stumpjumper-fsr-enduro-rear-thru-axle-142mm-x-12mm-s140200001/p629317

Tracey

This looks as if it will, worth giving them a ring and see if they know

https://www.neviscycles.com/shop/products/axl-my16-17-sbc-rear-thru-axle-with-lever-148mm-x-12mm

Part no S170200009

lardman
    Free Member

ok, thanks for that everyone. I was under the impression that it might not be something i can get, so thought i’d consult the hive-mind.

The bolt in is just a bit of a pain, as i’m often putting the bike in the back of a car/van.

I’ll check out those options.

pastcaring
    Free Member

I have a spare new one. boost 148.
    (well 5 rides old)
    Pm me if you want to swap?

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Correct me if I’m wrong but if it’s conical, it’s the Syntace X12 system, which has been used extensively by Specialized and Cube to name two for years!

Syntace themselves, DT Swiss, Novatec, KCNC, Specialized and Cube branded axles (I use a Specialized branded one for a Cube bike because it was cheaper) are available for this standard. German retailers generally have a much wider selection. Unfortunately the boost ones are fewer, further between and more expensive!

nickdavies

It’s an x-12 axle, I swapped mine for a bolt in. If I can find the original lever one I’ll give you a shout but no idea where it is.

£40 for a dt Swiss one, Amazon have them in stock. They’re usually around £20-£25 but not in stock with the usual suspects.

DrP

fair divide between ‘lever lovers’ and the rest!

I USED to love QR levers, but my stumpy came with teh neater/lighter allen ones, and I’m quite happy with those nowadays!

DrP

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

fair divide between ‘lever lovers’ and the rest!

DT Swiss do a thru-axle with a lever that unscrews, so you can lose it somewhere!

ajaj
    Free Member

part of the SWAT system and designed in conjunction with the SWAT multi tool

I don’t buy that because the Enduro comes with either hex or lever depending on which model and both have SWAT.

lardman
    Free Member

So, thanks for this info. It’s definitely an X-12 axle then… as i can find those pretty easily.

@pastcaring
    – i’ll send you a PM.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘lever operated thru-axle for rear of Stumpjumper?’ is closed to new replies.