Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Levelling up fund for the North….
  • oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

Come on Northern folk queue up for your “poor relief”

No leveling of investment no infrastructure investment just write a begging letter for a new bus shelter.

I hope all you ****s in Blyth, Darlington etc who voted for this take heed. This is how much of a **** they give about you £500 quid per person.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

What you on about?

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

Rishis leveling up fund… announced today..

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

Actually its only 660 million for next year….

alexpalacefan

No doubt going the same way as the “Towns fund” I think it was called, to Conservative marginal seats.
    Never trust a Tory.
    APF

kelvin

just write a begging letter for a new bus shelter

Must be sponsored by your local MP.

It’s just a fund for new Tory MPs to get visible “wins” in their seats, ready for the next general election, while local services are further decimated as round 2 of austerity strips local authority provision to the bone.

mick_r

And according to R4 just now:
    The maximum project size is something like £20 million.

And it can be applied for by any area (not just the north).

Not going to do much is it?….

frankconway

Crude, simplistic electioneering.
    How much is net new money?
    I have no doubt that at least some will be a re-allocation from existing budgets/commitments.
    £4 billion won’t go far.

Poopscoop

As someone said, never trust a Tory.

On a derelict building in town there was graffiti on it dating back from the 80’s thats only just been painted over.

It said “Tory scum out”.

It’s as true now as it was nearly 40 years ago.

MoreCashThanDash

Talk about pissing in the wind, that’s an insult

grum
    Free Member

What kelvin said

mrmo
    Free Member

Toraí is an Irish word and where the word Tory comes from.

It means an outlaw, crook, robber…. never has it been more appropriate.

twistedpencil

Time to.get up a GoFundMe page for the Northern Powerhouse…

mrchrispy

Labour MP – sorry, you application doesnt quite meet the criteria.
    Tony MP – crack on old chum, he’s some dosh to spaff on a vanity project, its not quite enough for long term investment that could bring tangible improvements but good enough to convince the mouth breathers in your constituency to vote conservative again.

Expect the mechanisms to be put in place this year with some headline grabbing payments, it’ll then go quiet for a while only kick into overdrive in an election year.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Stop whining, if you’re a northern ballet dancer/trough wiper you could retrain as a brain surgeon and move to pimlico with that £500. Easy.
    Also they’re moving large quantities of poor people’s brains north with benefit reforms so you could stay up here and pocket the moving costs. Quids in.

ElShalimo

Too late.. the entire ensemble from the Northern Ballet has retrained for cyber roles

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Let them drink Tennents Super.

MrOvershoot

grum
    Free Member

What kelvin said

Exactly

binners

I expect that ‘Honest Bob’ Jenrick, keen as he’s always been to improve the lives of the disadvantaged, has already earmarked which poor deprived northern high-dep areas the billions will be going to.

Alderley Edge, Wilmslow, Harrogate, Buckingham, Surrey…

StuE
    Free Member

I’m from and live in Leeds,silly sods up here voted tory to get brexit done and they will have to live with the consequences of that,I have absolutely no sympathy for them

Northwind

Conveniently for The North, all you have to do to level up is kill 20 rats. But what to spend it on? I think I’m going to raise my Charisma.

binners

Basically they’re offering us a tiny fraction of what they’ve lopped off the budgets of northern councils since 2010 (while leaving the budgets of leafy southern Home Counties towns untouched, obvs) and expecting us to be grateful for the loose change they found down the back of the sofa

This is how this has played out, year in year, for the last decade

Poopscoop

I notice I’m in that little dab of orange second right from London.

Remarkably it’s a Tory stronghold. Never understood how. I suspect a lot of those that actively despise them (Tories) are so disenfranchised that they simply don’t vote. Unlike the Tory faithful.

The cuts here have been noticeable, especially the safety nets that used to exist for people simply aren’t there anymore. Looking at the far deeper cuts shown on that map, it must be pretty apocalyptic there. I note the Labour heartlands in London have been hit hard too.

When you get tories berating labour councils for not keeping to budgets it really makes you see why. That said, these days even Tory councils are falling foul of that.

Austerity V2.0 is going to be appalling.

footflaps

Let them drink Tennents Super.

Youtube led me onto this….

Can’t see them being able to make this sort of thing in the woke era!

crazy-legs

£4 billion won’t go far.

Buys you about 1/10th of Northern Powerhouse Rail.

Question is, which tenth?!
    Leeds, you will go on my first whistle. Hull, you will go on my second whistle.

Northeners, READY! 3, 2, 1, FIGHT!

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Misprint innit?

Should read leveling off.

Fund is to pay for bulldozers.

Poopscoop

I know this has been said a lot but I can’t believe we are not going to see large civil unrest/ strikes over the years to come.

Am I wrong?

benpinnick

Not defending the cuts but it’s worth noting that the disparities are caused by the relative proportions of councils income that come from direct income (council tax/business rates) Vs central government. The southern shires get a higher take per capita in direct income than many other areas, this means when government schemes are cut, they suffer less proportionally. The reverse will happen meaning if you give everyone the same back, the dark spots on the map suddenly would show larger net improvemts.

The problem is, levelling up under this government has to date seen larger budget increases going to exactly the shires that haven’t been hit so bad, as the government is evening out their per capita settlements by increasing their allowances unevenly to erase previous inequality that favoured poorer areas which is bonkers frankly, even if some think some notion of fairness trumps common sense.

MoreCashThanDash

I know this has been said a lot but I can’t believe we are not going to see large civil unrest/ strikes over the years to come.

Am I wrong?

When I’ve seen these type of comments in the past I’ve dismissed them as people reliving their anti-Thatcher youthful fantasies, but I’m beginning to think there is no other way. Just feels that those at the bottom are now so crushed, and blame has been deflected so far, that there is no one ready for the fight.

ElShalimo

The disaffected now have smartphones and hundreds of TV channels to keep them distracted whilst the Govt rip the country apart lining their own pockets.

In the 80s there was nothing to do, so if there was a protest and you had the time and the inclination to join it you would

perchypanther
    Free Member

When I’ve seen these type of comments in the past I’ve dismissed them as people reliving their anti-Thatcher youthful fantasies

The thing is, they weren’t fantasies.

An abiding memory of my youth is of seeing my next door neighbour being carried into his house by two of his sons, absolutely covered in his own blood because his head had been stoved in by a copper on a picket line.

I doubt we’ll see that again though.

binners

PP – I have similar memories from being at school and the school bus passing the rows of black maria’s full of tooled up stormtroopers heading for the picket lines. I don’t think we’ll ever see that again, thankfully.

Next year is going to be interesting. Covid is hitting the north hard with most areas never really coming out of lockdown, and unlikely to do so until next year. The toll on the economy is going to be vast and devastating! Small businesses are going to go down like dominoes, with no government assistance. You can feel the anger building about that. The new ‘Red Wall’ Tory MPs are all getting very twitchy. So they should be!

Also: the way it’s been done. They’ve given up even pretending theres any negotiation or consultation. From now on, after Andy Burnhams shenanigans, everything is now dictat from on high and ‘do as you’re bloody well told, you uppity peasants!!’

Add in a No Deal Brexit that is going to hit hardest in the places that always get hit hardest and all the ingredients for a right royal kick off.

The question is if anyone can be arsed. We’ve been shat on from on high since the 80’s

benpinnick

The new ‘Red Wall’ Tory MPs are all getting very twitchy.

Theyre not helping themselves either. Our new boy Tory RIchard Holden has got only one policy – reopen the Consett > gateshead stretch of the old trainline. He is fixated on that while the economy round him burns. Madness.

footflaps

Add in a No Deal Brexit that is going to hit hardest in the places that always get hit hardest and all the ingredients for a right royal kick off.

To be fair (large parts of the) North did vote for both Brexit and the Tories, so they’re only getting what they voted for…..

Does reduce my level of sympathy by quite a large amount.

retro83
    Free Member

binners

Basically they’re offering us a tiny fraction of what they’ve lopped off the budgets of northern councils since 2010 (while leaving the budgets of leafy southern Home Counties towns untouched, obvs) and expecting us to be grateful for the loose change they found down the back of the sofa

This is how this has played out, year in year, for the last decade

Essex CC had a 49% cut from 2013 to 2016 then a further 84% lopped off from 2016 to 2020. Hardly ‘untouched’.

https://www.guardian-series.co.uk/news/14756404.huge-cuts-council-funding-way/

crazy-legs

Theyre not helping themselves either. Our new boy Tory RIchard Holden has got only one policy – reopen the Consett > gateshead stretch of the old trainline. He is fixated on that while the economy round him burns. Madness.

“Policies” like that are classic distractions.
    You immediately create two opposed groups – petitions, campaigns, maybe even a bit of fundraising. It ties up councils in planning for their new / re-opened trainline, coming up with designs and wishlists for stations and associated supporting infrastructure. Everyone gets very excited one way or the other.

Then it will quietly disappear because rail projects are always massively long term – you’re talking 10 years to get anything out of Network Rail, plan/design/develop the scheme, get it through Parliament in a Hybrid Bill, get it passed the reams of planning committees and appeals and protests and finally get spades in the ground by which time the politician has long since buggered off, the country has been further asset stripped and no-one has noticed because they’re all het up about some meaningless branch line.

Same thing is going on at the moment with the Monsal Trail.

binners

Let’s be brutally frank… whoever these utterly corrupt ****s announce any serious spending you know that it’s just another bent ruse to funnel a shitload of taxpayers money into their mates pockets

I doubt the areas that really need it will end up seeing a penny of it

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

Same thing at Blyth with the “rail line” load of bollocks.

drnosh
    Free Member

@ crazy-legs

‘Same thing is going on at the moment with the Monsal Trail’.

Can you expand on this please.

As a cyclist who has ridden in the area from time to time but do not live in the area I am interested to know ‘what gives’.

Thanks

DrJ

It’s just for Jenrick and his mates isn’t it?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Levelling up fund for the North….’ is closed to new replies.