Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Lets talk belly fat, please.
  • oldgit
    Free Member

😳
    I have the pee taken out of me because of my massive pot belly. Everything I read says diet and excersise is the key. Problem is I do both, and the rest of me is skinny anyway.
    I'm 5'8" not sure what my waist is but I wear 32" waist trousers, it's above the waist it sticks out. You can't pinch any skin on the rest of my body and my ribs are visible down my sides. My stomach is also very hard.
    I'm actually now a bit worried even though it's been like this for years now.
    Diet I willconfess is a bit hit and miss but generally very good. A typical week i.e this week so far would be as follows. Sunday 4 hours fast road, Monday and Tuesday 4 miles xc running,Wednesday rest, Thursday 2.5 hours fast road first half hills second half 21MPH back home.
    I suffer acid reflux on all the 24 hour solos I've done over the last ten years.
    And I have a botched peritinitus opp scar from my pelvis to above my belly button, the wound was left open to heal not stiched.
    On monday I intend to make a sheepish call to my GP to see if I'm just plain fat. And I am going to do my best to follow a strict diet.
    Basically amI just the same as anyone else with a pot belly?

ton

😯 😆 8) 😉

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Have you tried sit ups? Could be you need to tone the stomach muscles??? Other than that, could be a build up of visceral fat – if that is how it is spelled… one is a tad squiffy 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Trampus
    Free Member

How old a git you are may have some bearing, maybe? 🙂

How much do you weigh?

What is your BMI?

And, obviously, this thread is no good without pics! 🙄

ziggy
    Free Member

Sounds like you have a similar body shape to mine, I took to lifting some weights. Seems to have evened things out a bit. Although having a sunken chest exagerates my belly. I found correcting my posture helped alot combined with strenghtening my back muscles and some sit ups helped alot.

oldgit
    Free Member

Don't know
    Don't know
    I once reached 12.5 stone,that was end of 1985 after a year of road racing TT's Marathons and a full Ironman I couldn't face doing anything after that.
    Probably about 11.25 stone now.

rOcKeTdOg

CG doesn't mind if you have some puppy fat i'm sure 🙂

deft
    Free Member
    Trampus
    Free Member

I'm 55, 5ft 7in, 11.5 st. I have a 32" waist, too. My chest is 40".

I look like an extra from LOTR.

However, nothing hangs over my belt line that could be called "pot belly".

(Despite 8 pints a night. :oops:)

Guess we're all different, Oldgit! 🙂

Some people are naturally pear shaped, I really wouldn't worry about it.

oldgit
    Free Member

I think you confuse me with Oldfart Rocketdog.

Nick
    bullheart
    Free Member

Stop moaning fatty…

oldgit
    Free Member

I measured my tummy and it ain't that bad, plus I found the TV remote in there.

AdamM
    Free Member

49 and still got a 32" waist? I wouldn't get too worried about that. 🙂

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

Only 49…
    …have similar but wouldn't call it a pot belly!!!

ziggy has some good things to say also remember the belly on Indurain? Wasn't real, just a product of being pictured bent over riding and the huge lung capacity pushing internal body bits down and out over waistband.
    We must be sooo fit. That's my story anyway!
    Paul
    PS Have promised myself a new superlight bike, after I lose 10 lbs 🙁

dr_death
    Free Member

Sounds like it might be related to the op you had…. What was it for etc. If it is then there may be some corrective surgery that can be done. Discuss with your GP, although it may be scarring your stuck with?!?

swamp_boy

Sounds like you're pretty fit for your age, its probably not too much to worry about but probably worth seeing the doc even if only for peace of mind. If its localised like that it sounds like sit ups would tone up the muscles there and pull it all in a bit.

I try to see mine as a fitness aid – the more weight I carry the fitter my legs get. I'm 53, 5'10" and about 14 stone, but its fairly evenly spread. Waist is 36", was 34" since being teenage until about five years ago.

jond
    Free Member

Well, people tend to divide between a pear (put weight on hips/legs) and apple (put weight on belly), but I'm not sure that's the whole story.

Some years ago (20?) – I noticed a mate, whose a similar build/shape, getting a pot belly, so from then on I tried maintaining a just a bit of tension in the abdomen – not sucking it in, but not letting it bulge out either. I *guess* – must admit I've never asked anyone – that a lot of guys (or women for that matter) just let hang out relaxed, which would accentuation any extra weightiness round the middle.

Fat also gets deposited around the internal organs, so that probably wouldn't help.

Re situps – can be bad at just causing the more external muscles to bulge. Probably more use is crunches (upper abs), plank/prone (middle abs) – the latter you're trying to pull your belly button back to your spine using the deeper muscles. Check out Pilates too, that's mostly core stability work (I've been doing that for about 7 years or so)

>I look like an extra from LOTR

I had the little scrotes at the stations near work referring to me as 'Gimli' – didn't know whether to laugh or give 'em an earful. Tho' I do look like a metal band's roadie, being a bit of a metalhead 😉

Stats – 40chest, 76kg, 31-33" waist (depends on how much or little cycling), 5'10, I'm 46)

oldgit
    Free Member

Well in the meantime I'm monitoring my intake carefully.
    Had porrige and coffee for breakfast and cycled to work. The ammount of junk food I've been offered since is amazing, with your guard down I can see how problems arise.
    Salad with a side of pasta for dinner (yes that way round) Gardening duties done so now off for a six mile xc run.
    Sorry I'll try not to turn this into a blogg!

psling
    Free Member

Mmmm. Some sound comments above but I think you'll find it should resolve itself within 9 months though your riding and running may be curtailed for a while after that until they're old enough to join you…

😉

Keva
    Free Member

The ammount of junk food I've been offered since is amazing, with your guard down I can see how problems arise.

yup… it really is amazing how much crap some people put into their bodies. At my place of work people are constantly bringing in boxes of cakes, doughnuts and biscuits – not for me thanks, I don't wanna live off sugar.

K

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

You've got a big belley and your skinny evreywhere else?.Erm , i dont want to sound cheekey but your not pregnant are you? 😯

oldgit
    Free Member

I'm not that kinda girl 😉

Michael-B
    Free Member

I did the South beach diet with my girl friend and lost lots of belly fat and the diet isn't hard to follow.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Lets talk belly fat, please.’ is closed to new replies.