Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 636 total)
  • Lets talk about Man Utd
  • spacemonkey

Aggregate scores this season:

Liverpool 4 Man United 0
    Chelsea 3 Man United 1
    Man City 7 Man United 1

1 point from 18

martinhutch

Three in a row. Nice. 😀

hora
    Free Member

Deadly’ I imagine binners is sharpening his hora killing knife 😮

Junkyard
    Free Member

have we not reached the point where we are so inept you feel sorry for us 😉

Started poorly and never got any better.
    It will do for the season and his first year
    He does look out his depth but the players have been poor as well.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

have we not reached the point where we are so inept you feel sorry for us

I suppose so. Arsenal going tits up is far more amusing!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I can’t quite gather any sympathy JY, but I watched the first half – they looked very very poor. Did Moyes leave Fellaini on for the 90? He looked like he was going to get sent off. WTF is Mata doing hanging around the left – he’s not a crosser of the ball at all. It’s mere conjecture of course but even with RVP tonight, City would more than likely have own it. Even some of the more reliable players are looking poor now – Carrick eg. was being dispossessed easily and giving it away when he wasn’t. Season write off. Massive clear out in the summer and spend whatever is raised from selling RVP. 😉 I dont think Moyes is up to the job – and he’d have to do an awful lot to get the fans to forget this season’s debacle.

EDIT: what am I saying. Fans forget as soon as the results turn around. But looking at where Utd are, and who they’d have to bring in to keep up with Chelsea and City, I’m not sure there’s enough money to do it in one summer is there?

binners

Hora. I’ve put the contract out already.

Woeful! Never turned up. again. At home FFS!!! I’ve said all along you can’t blame Moyes. The players have to shoulder some responsibility! There’s absolutely no pace. No urgency. No desire. Nothing! All the stuff that United sides have always been about.If you can’t be bothered to turn up for home games against City and Liverpool, then you ‘re wearing the wrong shirt. Big clear out needed at the end of this season!

Junkyard
    Free Member

Fair assessment DD

Many of the players have shown themselves to be poor this season , perhaps that is how good SAF really was.
    Your right about Moyes he does look clueless and he has not improved his record against the big teams. We will finish below Everton ..Jose would never have done this to us though I have to declare thinking Moyes was the correct choice.

BINBINS perhaps it is what SAF did imagine what he would have done to them at Half time and FT after pool!!

terrahawk
    Free Member

this makes it a bit harder for the True Enemy to win the league, so in a way I’m happy.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Shit the bed…Bayern’s season…

Played 27, won 25, drawn 2, goal difference 66. 😯

BoardinBob

The players were so poor tonight. Slack passes, lack of motivation, non existent communication. Hard to say if that’s the Moyes factor but they looked liked a bunch of overpaid lazy pricks tonight

spacemonkey

Goldstein finally having a right go at Moyes on TalkSport. Have been wanting him to kick off like this for weeks. Can’t disagree with a word he’s said so far.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

this makes it a bit harder for the True Enemy to win the league, so in a way I’m happy.

A truer perspective on how bad a season it’s been you won’t find.

EDIT: minus the lol out of respect for JY and binbins.

aa
    Free Member

Chelsea winning the league will be a loss for us all.

The Man U fans i know have been very dignified about the whole affair.
    Its actually quite hard to take the piss. Welcome to the world of underachievement.

Junkyard
    Free Member

A truer perspective on how bad a season it’s been you won’t find.

No need DD but thanks. its a fair point you make but personally I have no issue with pool winning the league this year. They have been amazing going forward.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Shit the bed…Bayern’s season…

Played 27, won 25, drawn 2, goal difference 66
    @deadlarcy that’s what happens when one club has much more money than the rest and is able to buy the best players from the second best club.

@Junkyard I’m surprised to see you think this season has been good enough, I personally never imagined a scenario where United missed the champions league, at this rate they won’t even make the Europa.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

@Junkyard I’m surprised to see you think this season has been good enough, I personally never imagined a scenario where United missed the champions league

Why exactly? City, Chelsea & Liverpool have all made progress Arsenal are having a good year, Spurs are in the mix too. Thats 5 teams for 4 places already, things are evening out a bit. Man U were never going to respond well to losing a long running manager.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

@deadlarcy that’s what happens when one club has much more money than the rest and is able to buy the best players from the second best club.

You don’t say!!

I reckon Germany will still be in the final four at the World Cup though. So at least when the dust settles on the season, the fans can all join together and cheer on their excellent national side. No fear of the premier league ever providing the ammunition for England to do the same. 😐

RicB

Missing the Europa is hardly a bad thing….

They had a good spell just before half time but apart from that they were pretty average

Fellani and cleverly are only good against bottom half opposition. Rafael was less disastrous than usual, and Mata looked comfortable on the ball when he was central

One of the (many) problems is that when Rooney plays up front and doesn’t get the ball he drops very deep to get it, which means there’s no one up front to hold up play and take pressure off the awful defence.

Can see us being an Arsenal for the next 3-5 years. Although if the big sponsors pull out we’re utterly f*cked

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

It’s staggering to think this team won the league by 11 points last season. Will go down as one of Fergie’s greatest achievements surely. The manager has to take the blame for the epic decline, similarly to Mancini’s spectacular underachievement last season, why sign Mata and shunt him out on the wing? Surely they won’t let him spend the money in the summer, given the debacle this season. Who will want to play for him, no Champions League either.

Jamie
    Free Member

Missing the Europa is hardly a bad thing….

Next year the winners get a CL place, so not quite as useless as it once was.

In other news. This is a yellow.

I guess if it had been a red, then Kieran Gibbs would have been off again.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@mike Chelsea’s squad are in a rebuilding mode too, City where certainly strong favourites but I didn’t see Arsenal and Liverpool as being so superior to Man U this season. My point is Man U are not even close to the CL spots and that’s a big surprise to me. The club are doing the right thing in publically supporting Moyes but he’s lost, he may have inherited an ageing team but his one profile pre season signing was Felini who is hopeless.

RicB

Players will always want to play for Man U but without CL football they’ll have to increase wages to get the top players in

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

They’ve spent the majority of the wages on Rooney!

Junkyard
    Free Member

Junkyard I’m surprised to see you think this season has been good enough,

I did not know what you mean then tbh

Started poorly and never got any better.
    It this comment will do for sum up the season and his first year

Hope that clears up what I meant I actually meant to say this match and the season though so its not my finest , nor worst, warblings on here- how could any fan [ except an ABU] be happy with this?

Cletus

As a City fan I am delighted by the result but tbh it is pretty much what I expected and I think we never really had to get out of second gear.

I really cannot believe that players such as Ferdinand are still in the first team and the general lack of (legal) fight from the players.

There is so much wrong with the team that I cannot see how even the most capable of managers could turn it around let alone wee Davie – may he have a long reign #SaveOurDave

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Honestly Cletus I reckon Moyes can do a good/great job there, it will just take some time to sort stuff out, now financial fair play is in place the top of the table will get a bit tighter, hopefully the focus will shift back to talent development and those things. There is also some hope that the days of buying a team (something Man U fans complained about others doing) is over.

If you want complete carnage then pray for the manager swapathon that has been going on elsewhere, managing city is like managing a national side hand the board a list of players at the start of the season and wait for the coach to arrive with them on.

PrinceJohn
    Free Member

I for one think Moyes has done a fantastic job this season, he’s broken so many old trafford records this season, the latest one was just last night, the quickest goal ever scored by an away side…

slackalice
    Free Member

There’s a lot to be said about ‘fear’ as a management style 😉

hora
    Free Member

Everyone makes out that United had some kind of wonder-squad up until Moyes. Why couldn’t Fergie buy better replacements for the ageing members? They sold Ronaldo- who did they replace him with at the time?

Moyes isn’t a bad manager, hes been sold a a nice Ferrari 458 but its got 150,000miles on the clock.

Didn’t everyone say last year Man U won the title because everyone else failed to turn up? What else did Man U win if they were that good a team?

Whens the last time they did the double?

weeksy

They’ve been in/around the top 2-3 for the past 10 years… they won the league last year and finsihed near the top the season before. The players have not gone into such a decline in 1 season that they’re now 7th…. that’s ridiculous to think.

Even if the other teams never turned up last year, they should still be 4th, possibly 5th as Liverpool have improved of course. However, they’re not.. simple as that.

They’ve spent £65million on 2 midfielders who were bloody awful last night, so it’s not like they’ve not spent any money in the last 12 months either, they just spent badly.

Even if we argue a 10% drop in players due to age, that’s still only 7 points worse off… but they’re 15+ worse off, you’re not trying to tell me the age of the squad going up by 12 months has given a 20% drop in performance ? Nah.. not having it.

The difference is the manager.. he’s standing there watching them being thrashed every week and all you can see on his face is confusion… every time the cameras go to him, he looks like a lost sheep… no clue, no idea… No change of tactics, no change of formations, style or anything… just clueless.

Now, as a manager i’ve always rated Moyes.. i thought he did a blinding job at Everton.. However either he’s not the right man for your squad, or he’s the wrong man for Utd completely… i’m still not sure.

From my personal perspective, he can stay forever… i love him being there… but it’s a bit confusing.

weeksy

slackalice – Member
    There’s a lot to be said about ‘fear’ as a management style

I can see the owners using it on the players

“any more crap from you and we’ll let Moyes stay”… that must put the fear of god into them !

binners

hora – Member
    Everyone makes out that United had some kind of wonder-squad up until Moyes. Why couldn’t Fergie buy better replacements for the ageing members? They sold Ronaldo- who did they replace him with at the time?

Erm…. have you actually read any of this thread at all? Do you even possess a passing knowledge of the recent club ownership? The Glazers saddled United with 3/4 billion quids worth of debt to ‘buy’ the club, with crippling interest payments to service. They also ripped hundreds of millions out of the club in ‘consultancy fees’ to prop up their ailing American shopping malls.

All meaning they couldn’t compete in the transfer market with the bigger European clubs, as it was (and still is) an economic basket case. Everyone knew that this had to come home to roost. Well it just has. Its just amazing – and a testament to Fergie – that it took this long.

I think a large part of Moyes coming in is because he’s good at building squads – on a budget. They’re now saying that there will be money to spend in the summer. Well we’ve heard that before. Last season for instance. When they bought in… erm… Fellaini (who should have been off for that ridiculous challenge last night).

The decline will continue until the club addresses the real problem. Its parasitic owners!!! The fact that the most profitable club in the world has been reduced to this stands as a testament to not only United, but to the whole of English football.

hora
    Free Member

So with that thinking binners.

Seen Liverpools expenditure versus Man U’s over the past few years?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Erm…. have you actually read any of this thread at all? Do you even possess a passing knowledge of the recent club ownership? The Glazers saddled United with 3/4 billion quids worth of debt to ‘buy’ the club, with crippling interest payments to service. They also ripped hundreds of millions out of the club in ‘consultancy fees’ to prop up their ailing American shopping malls.

In which time as I posted earlier Man U won multiple League Titles and Cups including the Champions League.
    UEFA financial fair play should make things a bit more even from here on in. Man U’s best seasons seemed to be built around players who had come through the system and were talent found rather than talent bought.

hora
    Free Member

I wonder how many people on this thread had or know someone who said they had a ‘trial with Man U’ etc? :mrgreen:

binners

We did this 7 pages ago. Go back and have a read. Liverpool generates nowhere near the same income as United. So it stands to reason that they United spend more. They have too. Though there’s been the odd £35 million splurge on genuine world class talent 😀 Liverpool haven’t been genuine contenders (until now) for years (they finished 28 points behind united last season – for some perspective). They’ve not even made the CL (again – until now).

The irony of all this is that with the financial fair play rules in place United should be the one club to seriously benefit from them – as they generate the most revenue. Does that look like happening? What do you think?

Anyway…. I’m getting a feeling of deja vu.

In which time as I posted earlier Man U won multiple League Titles and Cups including the Champions League.

Squads age though. So its the law of diminishing returns unless you invest in the same level. Which they haven’t. For the reasons stated above. And the panic buys of Mata and Fellaini are too little, too late. That isn’t what building a squad is about

HindlePie
    Free Member

Binners –
    …All meaning they couldn’t compete in the transfer market with the bigger European clubs

The Glazers took over in 2003:

Rio Ferdinand £27,550,000
    Gabriel Heinze £6,900,000
    Alan Smith £7,000,000
    Louis Saha £12,820,000
    Cristiano Ronaldo £12,200,000
    Wayne Rooney £27,000,000
    Nemanja Vidic £7,000,000
    Michael Carrick £18,600,000
    Anderson £15,000,000
    Owen Hargreaves £17,000,000
    Carlos Tevez £9,000,000
    Nani £13,500,000
    Demitar Berbatov £30,750,000
    Antonio Valencia £16,000,000
    Chris Smalling £10,000,000
    Phil Jones £17,000,000
    David De Gea £18,900,000
    Ashley Young £17,000,000
    Shinji Kagawa £12,000,000
    Robin Van Persie £22,000,000
    Wilfred Zaha £15,000,000
    Marouane Fellaini £27,500,000
    Juan Mata £37,100,000

That’s a lot of spending with a mighty headstart.

weeksy

Antonio Valencia £16,000,000
    Chris Smalling £10,000,000
    Phil Jones £17,000,000
    David De Gea £18,900,000
    Ashley Young £17,000,000
    Shinji Kagawa £12,000,000
    Robin Van Persie £22,000,000
    Wilfred Zaha £15,000,000
    Marouane Fellaini £27,500,000
    Juan Mata £37,100,000

None are old…. where’s the old squad being talked about ?

martinhutch

Vidic for £7m. Now that was good business. Some bloody awful deals in the latter end of Fergie’s reign as well as from Moyles.

Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 636 total)

The topic ‘Lets talk about Man Utd’ is closed to new replies.