lets see your mtb commuters

Home Forum Bike Forum lets see your mtb commuters

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • lets see your mtb commuters
  • Possibly my favourite bike so far…. 69er Frankenbike . now running big Apples which are by far the best commuting tyre I have tried!

wiggles

2.4 X-king is skinny right? 😉

Is my only bike at the moment until my alpine is build then this will be made more commuter-ish, so for the moment the xking race king combo is fast enough for my mostly road commute but don’t need to change tyres when getting a bit muddy.

misterlee

as title says.

post pics of your mountain bikes with skinny tyres you use for commuting. I need some inspiration

Alpha1653

Powder coated ’97 Kona with Fox Float 32’s spaced down to 100mm. I did the Welsh C2C on it in the summer but is now my winter commuter. With slicks, it’s now faster than a fast thing on ice! I’ve just got a set of exotic carbon forks to replace the Floats as they’re a little long, plus it’s drop the weight by a couple of pounds. Much fun!

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

IMAG0006 by Northwindlowlander, on Flickr

I like parking this at work, where it’s older than 99% of the people who walk past it.

Premier Icon colournoise
    Subscriber

Old (1996) one-off Lee Cooper XC frame. 32/16 singlespeed. City Jet 1.6 slicks(ish) pumped up to 80psi. Lovely LX v-brakes with red DX levers.

Premier Icon zippykona
    Subscriber

I have a muddy off road commute so here’s my steed. In this guise its got 29er wheels and cyclo cross tyres.
    Currently got 26ers , bonty muds and bodged mudguards.

Premier Icon guitarhero
    Subscriber

My new (to me) Kona Unit. My commute has some off road options so tyres not too skinny.

chip

My commuter,
    It is an El cheapo Carrera subway and sold as a hybrid.
    But it is in reality an old rigid mtb they put road tyres on, rubbish ones at that which were quickly replaced with conti travelcontacts:

I have racked up a lot of trouble free miles on this bike and I don’t mind leaving it chained up in public for long periods of time.
    I once rode past a couple of hoodies and overheard one say in reply to the other “no that bikes shit” which put a big smile on my face.

My Spesh HT commuter rig with skinny slick tyres

its geared up with 26/38/48 chainrings which annoys the roadies when you don’t get dropped 😀

loddrik

Here’s a better pic of mine. Overkill I agree but it’s nice and light.

shifter

IMG_00000114 by woldspinner, on Flickr

Shocking garage pic. No name frame built up with spares mainly. Only recently swapped from using worn out knobblies.

Premier Icon transporter13
    Subscriber

Loddrik. I’ve got to ask…..

What the heck is going on with that chainguide??

qwerty

This, only change is 44t chainring, Deore V brakes & WTB Nanoraptor tyres.

loddrik

Loddrik. I’ve got to ask…..

What the heck is going on with that chainguide??

It’s a short term fix, as in went on today for a couple of days, it’s the only position I could get to stop it rubbing.

Premier Icon transporter13
    Subscriber

Furry muff

I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

I like the forks on that Moda, they’d look back to front regardless of which way round they are, that’s efficient design.

Premier Icon cr500dom
    Subscriber

This was mine, Trek XC race frame, Alfine rear, Rigid Badboy forks, KCNC Stem, just loads of “Spare bits” really.
    Oh and 2.35 Schwalbe supermotos setup ghetto tubeless, which are just ace

Until I brought a Kona MinUte Cargo thanks to a PSA on here, which meant it all got broken and sold again.

warpcow

Under all the crap it’s a ’97 Kona Lava Dome. Currently running on 2″ Big Apples and sans rack. It’ll probably gain some gears soon too, as it goes into service pulling a baby trailer.

Untitled by warpcow, on Flickr

Premier Icon barnun
    Subscriber

warpcow – what mudguards do you have on there? I’m after some like that

Premier Icon uphillcursing
    Subscriber

Ton, I recognize that pub. Is it in Leeds?

I cant post a picture as my commuter/shopping/pub bike has so many things wrong with it. The eye bleach comments would be too much for me.

sssimon

sold this about 5 years ago, one of the ones I should have kept

warpcow

barnun – Member
    warpcow – what mudguards do you have on there? I’m after some like that

Cheap, nasty ones from the Swedish equivalent of Halfords. Probably not much help I’m afraid, but they’re basically a bargain basement version of SKS Chromoplastics.

sssimon

double post 🙁

Premier Icon richmars
    Subscriber

Normally has panniers.

Premier Icon pictonroad
    Subscriber

However, see the flexy frame thread as to how it’s an unrideable mess…

Premier Icon IamSam
    Subscriber

Mine with daft fat slick tyres and ugly mudguard. BUT i bloody love it. Also looking very like someone elses..

Premier Icon cr500dom
    Subscriber

IamSam:
    Mine with daft fat slick tyres and ugly mudguard. BUT i bloody love it. Also looking very like someone elses..

That’s uncanny 😀

I do miss mine, but I have (Too many) other bikes to justify it !!

The Trek frame now lives on with a mate from work, the attempted theft of his Stumpy left the top tube dented and mashed, so this became almost a direct replacement and he is over the moon with it

Premier Icon IamSam
    Subscriber

its getting pretty close to being a negative colour version of your old one the frames been brilliant snapped the previous one and got this under warranty, love the seat stays.

Premier Icon guitarhero
    Subscriber

A better (ie daytime) picture of my unit, of which I’m starting to become fond.

This replaces my Raleigh, which I have to say I love dearly, but I don’t think would have survived another winter without costing money

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘lets see your mtb commuters’ is closed to new replies.