Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • lets see your light off road touring bike packing solutions ?
  • iainc

Have recently got a Croix De Fer and thinking of some slightly more adventurous touring in west of Scotland next summer. WIll be 2-3 days, probably B&B, but some off road stuff mixed with quiet roads.

I have a 16L Carrradice sqr seatpack and have recently bought a proper rack. I’ll be getting panniers at Christmas which will take care of road only trips, but wondering what best for rougher trails (bearing in mind it’s a cx bike so I won’t be doing proper mtb stuff).

The Carradice thing is nae use for out of saddle stuff as it’s like a weightly pendulum and I can see panniers not being great on trails. Wondering about a drybag on the rack ? any other good solutions to carrying a couple of days kit ?

Thanks

iainc

ah, I totally forgot about that thread, ideal, thanks

MoreCashThanDash

Article in the latest CTC magazine as well

kcal

probably best look at dRjOn’s blog as well iain..

usual received wisdom is handlebar bag and frame bag or pack as well.
    I find frame bag great – since ditching backpack for most rides, feel a lot more comfortable.

josemctavish
    Free Member

This gets me round two-dayers most of the year:

benp1

Whats your kit list in that mate? Do you carry a rucksack with bits in as well?

josemctavish
    Free Member

I’d normally have my wee Inov8 running pack with me so that my camera is handy in the waist pouch. I never really write kit lists as that would be far too organised, but for that trip in October it would have been:

Bar Bag
    – Western Mountaineering sleeping bag
    – Thermarest Neo Air pad
    – Rab down vest

Saddle Bag
    – DD Hammock
    – Terra Nova lightweight tarp
    – Small Ti mug
    – mKettle and matches
    – Mountain house dried meal sachets
    – Random snacks from whatever shop I last visited
    – Montane featherlite pants
    – Spare tube, puncture kit and multi-tool

Backpack
    – Softshell/waterproof jacket
    – Woolly hat
    – Lightweight fleece
    – Sandwiches/lunch snacks
    – Bottle of Irn Bru!

Top Tube pouch
    – Phone
    – Snacks
    – Energy drink powder sachets
    – Headtorch

I could do without the backpack at that time of year, but it’s handier for getting layers on and off on changeable days.

Blackhound

Have a look here, the ‘Ocelot’ is an excellent bit of kit as is bar and saddle options:

Wildcat

benp1

Looks like you were experiencing good weather at that particular moment!

Nice little list of stuff. Are you able to find trees to hammock from easily?

iainc

some great ideas. Quite fancy the Alpkit Koala, although currently out of stock. Need more space than the 10 L provided by Tiger as can’t fit a bar bag easily due STI cables.

Anyone wanna buy a Carradice SQR Slim ? 🙂

jameso

can’t fit a bar bag easily due STI cables.

Ditch the bag and use a roll+pocket? I’ve used the same bag+contents as this on my road bike with old 105 STIs. Older style Revelate harness and L Pocket – would get similar from AK or Wildcat now.

Tuck the STI cables behind the pocket then cinch up. Sleeping bag (admittedly a tiny phd one), 3/4 mat and bivi bag in the roll and daily odds and ends, map, snacks etc in the pocket.

iainc

jameso – nice one !

I just had a wee play there and can get a 5L drybag in without upsetting the Tiagra cables. Just need to decide on seatpack now – its between teh wildcat tiger, Alpkit Koala and the uber pricey Revelate Pika – the Pika might win as it looks best fit for a short seatpost

thebrowndog
    Free Member

Don’t think Alpkit have their Koala saddle pack on sale yet. I love the Wildcat kit though. Ive got their seatbag and handlebar harness. Terrific versatile lightweight and very tough.

Ive run the seatbag harness with 5L, 8L and even a 13L dry bag and as long as its not overly heavy and you pack it so the squidgy stuff is at the bottom and takes the shape of the harness, it’s very stable and can carry a heap of gear.

iainc

Nice setup 🙂 is that a topeak food bag on top ? Which model ? I’ve been looking at them and trying to see one that clears the stem bolts – Alpkit looks good. Cheers

scotroutes

Here’s my wee blog post about what I take and where it goes

http://www.blog.scotroutes.com/2013/05/bikepacking-kit-list.html

iainc

Scotroutes – looks very useful, will read in detail, thanks. Think I’ll need the Pika seatpack as its going on CX bike with just under 4 inches of seatpost. The Revelate stuff looks great, although mighty costly..

irc

Scotroutes – Nice blog. Particularly liked the “Loch Loyne and the “Atlantis” Bridge” post. The Loyne Bridge is now on my to do list. Maybe return by Shiel Bridge, Glenelg and Kinlochourn though. That way I’d get the Glenelg to Kinlochourn route off the to do list as well. I could live with the 10 miles on the A87 between Cluanie and Shiel Bridge.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

That way I’d get the Glenelg to Kinlochourn route off the to do list as well

Irc, that’s a great stretch, you’ll love it. Boblo and I did it in June.

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=1&page_id=329542&v=3m and the next page.

vorlich
    Free Member

This is a somewhat out of date look at my setup, not as detailed as some others, but may be of interest.

Jameso may recognise his fork of old…

iainc

Great write up vorlich. I’ve got one of those 20L airlock packs too, which I’m planning on using if I have the rear rack on. Great kit.

Cheezpleez

All home-made

irc

McMooonter – Nice write up. I’m thinking tourer with 700×42 tyres. Or is a hardtail justified because of the Glenelg – Lochournhead off road section?

iainc

Revelate Pika on it’s way, hoping it will fit it to short seatpost on cx bike. Not totally sorted on bar bag yet, as not a lot of space with STI’s and cables coming in from the hoods. I don’t think there is enough width to go for a harness and a 13L bag, so think I might just try a wee 5L Alpkit one strapped onto the bars over the cables.

I don’t fancy a frame bag and would prefer to ditch the Camelbak for the type of mixed road/gentle off road stuff I am planning. Revelate is about 12L so I reckon a small bar bag will be enough

postierich
    Free Member

Got a Koala seat post pack from Alpkit now so more weight off my back

DSCF3574[1] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

iainc

got the Revelate Pika the other day, fits a treat 🙂

[img]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7343/11324613933_af9f31fb08_o.jpg[/img]

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘lets see your light off road touring bike packing solutions ?’ is closed to new replies.