• This topic has 63 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • Lets see your….Full suss ebikes !
  • Tracey

Thanks Tom, looks to be more room in the back of the 2017 than the 2018, wheels are set up, just need rotors and the sensor moving across.

towzer

Scott espark 710, given up on posting images here tho after two fails, about 18 months in and very pleased, has definitely widened my bimbletures area, now happy to do 40 miles (20/25 on std bike), I tend to not use much battery e.g 40 miles on about 1.5 segments(of a 5 segment shimano 500 battery) but more than happy to use it if I flake or am having a bad day. Awaiting future developments, ultimately I’d be happy with a bit less power and a lot less weight but am pleased that (*as I understand it) that Shimano have had the decency to make the 8000 and 7000 motors etc interchangeable, as I’m still using a 2006 Orange 5 so I’m keen on maintainability/spares availability. Next bike = well if we can get a 15kg 400wh 120xc then I might be in, esp if Shimano based.

oldfart

Kona Remote Control loads of pics, can’t get them on here! 🙄

Poopscoop

Posting pics:

Go to http://www.postimage.org on mobile or pc, no account needed, upload picture. Then click on tab for “hotlink for forums”.

Just past that text here (no need to clink on the IMG tab on here or anything) and all should be good.👍

iainc

iainc

Poopscoop, thanks for that link !

Tracey

Looks good, just needs to get dirty.

Finally fitted the 29er Rovals last night, old Butcher 2.6 Blck Dmnd to the front and a very old 2.3 Butcher Grid to the rear, had a good look and if it works I might be able to get a 2.6 into the back of it.

iainc

Tracey, thanks 🙂 – that one is the demo from Ride Cairngorm, so a 2019 version – I’m hanging off for the 2020 one, which should land end of next month, with slightly slacker geometry and the Bosch motor..

Poopscoop

@ianc
    What bike is that mate, about the best looking ebike I’ve seen.👍

iainc

Its a Focus Jam 2, 6.8 Plus.

Here’s the 2020 one !

Focus

iainc

Counting down till the 2020 ones arrive ! Bigger battery will be good, though not so sure about the extra couple of kilos that goes with it…

kaiser
    Free Member

Out of interest which are the most respected forums/ websites to keep up to date on all things ebike ? Particularly interested in the technology and unbiased reviews which can seem hard to come by. Basically I want to get up to date with the whole business as I bought my Bosch motored machine years ago , to overcome arthritis of the knee issues( it worked) ,and things have certainly moved on.

iainc

^^^^^ I have found ebike-MTB quite useful :

Here

1981miked
    Free Member

Liking these pics folks, I am looking into the ebike thing to get me out more. My legs and knees can handle about 15 – 20 miles max then they start to give up on me fairly rapidly.

Looking to keep the expenditure to say £3500, needs to be full suspension aswell so this thread is working out fine for me. I like the Norco’s, Mondrakers, Focus and Canyon range so far..

Keep the pics coming and any insights into battery life and range etc is welcome.

iainc

from my research over the last month it looks like the 2020 ones, with the new Bosch motor, offer a lot more in the way of range and feel. If they weren’t mail order, I’d be looking at the Canyon Spectral ON, which looks like great spec and value.

I think though, given the likely need for future dealer maintenance, that buying from a local shop makes most sense.

doomanic
    sofaking
    Free Member

timbo46
    Free Member

Nearly 5000km now:)

kelron
    Free Member

No photos from me but had the chance to demo a few back to back today which might be helpful for anyone thinking of buying one. Bikes were a Lapierre eZesty with Fazua motor, Lapierre Overvolt with the old Bosch motor, and a Haibike hardtail with Yamaha motor.

The Zesty rode a lot like a human powered bike compared to the other two, and was noticeably lighter (top end spec probably helped). Even on max assist it was fairly subtle, augmenting my pedalling rather than launching me up hills. It was very smooth and refined, and there was no drag with the motor off.

I had a lot more fun on the Overvolt. While they both save a lot of energy and time pedalling up hills, the Fazua system didn’t have the same kick to it. The Overvolt made it easy to build up speed and race along flat trails, which I think is what I’d want if I was buying an ebike. The suspension felt great too – hard to say how much was the weight of the bike and how much was geometry and setup, but I wouldn’t have guessed it was fairly low end (RS Sektor I think). Downside on this was a lot of drag with the motor off or past the limiter, you can really feel it resisting the pedals.

The Haibike was really just confirming what I expected with an e-hardtail – I really felt the weight of the motor as it smashed into every bump. The trails weren’t very technical (Bedgebury) and I’ve had plenty of fun riding them on a hardtail before, but it really felt like a dead weight on the back. The motor itself seemed nice enough, it had the most initial boost of the three and putting a bit of pressure on the pedals while standing still felt like twisting a throttle. It pedalled smoothly and had some resistance when it cut out but less than the Bosch.

For my money I think I’d wait for the next generation of motors which hopefully improve the drag and the feel of pedalling. I really like having the full power the Yamaha and Bosch systems offer but the shortcomings were very obvious when the Fazua was so smooth. I wouldn’t have the Fazua personally, but I could see it being the one to win over sceptics and it would be great for a versatile only bike.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Mrs M has just purchased a Levo Expert.  According to her its much better than her 2015 Cube Stereo E-BIke.  I can testify that she’s almost buzzing my back wheel on singletrack and that was only her first outing on it.  🙁.  She’s most impressed with the Levo’s motor decoupling after 16mph unlike the Bosch unit on the Cube.

andykentos
    Free Member

Giant Trance E+0 – Blindsee Trail, Tirol, Austria

chiefgrooveguru

“For my money I think I’d wait for the next generation of motors which hopefully improve the drag and the feel of pedalling.”

The current Levo doesn’t have any drag and pedals like a normal 150mm 29er full-sus – I happily ride it unassisted most of the time on group rides. And has LOTS of power in turbo mode.

benz
    Free Member

We had a day out yesterday, with some demo Merida E-160 900 bikes.

Best fun we have had in ages. The ability to climb, including up and over trail obstacles, plus get through soft ground was fantastic. As you may imagine, covered ground much quicker than we would otherwise plus finished in a zen like state of fatique rather than full blown kn*ck*r*d.

That said, given the £000’s involved my personal sense is that I will continue with the normal bikes, but hire ebikes for a good long day out.

Great fun ‘though!

iainc

The 2020 Merida 140 looks mighty impressive too…

It looks like a lot of the manufacturers have rejigged their line ups and are just starting to release them – all good news as they, in general terms, become more mainstream and slightly more affordable

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Lets see your….Full suss ebikes !’ is closed to new replies.