• This topic has 63 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • Lets see your….Full suss ebikes !
  • iainc

Having had some test rides and much pondering I have ordered a Focus one from my LBS. It won’t arrive for another month or so (2020 model), so to help my impatience, let’s see pictures of yours out on the trails please !

DezB
    Free Member

Mingers commence! 😆

sootyandjim
    Free Member

mariner
    Free Member

Went to see a Trek Powerfly at the dealers and they are out of stock until the 2020 models are released.
    Came home with one of these instead.
    Its wonderful to play and D28 since you ask.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2gwWtD1]P1200045[/url] by michaelwex10, on Flickr

Paceman
    Free Member
    iainc

Nobeer – yeah, I looked at that one before going for the Focus !

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Ecapra?

Tracey

Few of me 😉

You can enjoy both

One of my eldest daughter

And to keep everyone happy two from last week

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Great pics Tracey, Iain could only dream of riding with such poise! 🤣

iainc

^^^^ hahaha nobeer 😂

Tracey, I was hoping you’d post some up !

Tracey

Girls both ride far better than me. I dont know if its coincidence but I’ve just had a couple of weeks riding the Enduro in some full on conditions and its the first time that I haven’t had a few crashes. I think riding the ebike has made me a better rider

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

My other half’s Levo

singlespeedstu

Three for one.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2ghi4w8]2019-06-20_04-58-03[/url] by multispeedstu, on Flickr

Mrs stu on hers.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2gsnjJD]2019-07-06_02-21-08[/url] by multispeedstu, on Flickr

iainc

Some great, and inspiring, pictures !

iainc

Not quite mine but a demo on the outgoing model:

iainc

That Spesh looks really smart !

I whittled my choices down to a Levo or the Focus Jam2 and went with the latter as I prefer Shimano to SRAM !

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Genuine question – why would you choose an e-bike on drivetrain brand (which can easily be swapped) over motor (which can’t)..? We picked the Levo almost entirely because it has the Brose motor, which seems to top most reviews.

Tracey

We picked the Levos for a few reasons. Mainly because it rides like a Stumpy but also because of backup if its ever needed.

iainc

idiotdogbrain, yes fair question, the Focus has the new Bosch motor, so level on that. The spec and geometry suit me better too, on paper. Both available from local shops and both have good backup and warranty.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

We picked the Levos for a few reasons. Mainly because it rides like a Stumpy but also because of backup if its ever needed.

Oh it will be .

iainc

^^^^^ why ? Do they have reliability issues ?

sillyoldman

According to dealers I’ve spoken to – yes.

Tracey

Non of ours have, and I don’t know any one who has. On the odd occasion over the last 15 years that we have had to use Specialized (two crash assisted replacement frames) they have been first class and more importantly quick to sort.

doomanic

Spesh’s eBike warranty is second to none, probably because they’ve had so much practice…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

According to dealers I’ve spoken to – yes.

Non spesh dealers then? 🤣

Mates have a Levo and a kenovo, had em for 18 months, and they hammer them, out all the time.

Only issue they’ve had was a motor frying due to a twig going right into it via the vent, spesh replaced motor FOC.

singlespeedstu

There are 3x kenevos in our group and no problems with any of them motor wise.

sillyoldman

@Nobeerinthefridge Nope a big Spesh stockist. Others have mentioned it too, but Spesh stockist was first to mention it.

colp

Love my Powerfly. Bought from Evans just before the SD buyout. Had one warranty motor replaced (possibly my fault), turned around in 2 days.

doomanic

Spesh have had a few quality and design problems with the 2019 Levos.
    The early motors were very loud; Replaced under warranty.
    Dirt ingress due to poor design; new motor covers, a sponge, and now a deflector shield. It is still unclear if all dealers are fitting these parts under warranty or if the new bikes are coming fitted with them.
    Motor power cable; it’s a generic Brose part and due to the length has a tight 180degree bend close to the connector which causes cracking and shorting issues. There is supposedly a new cable, but Spesh seem reluctant to admit there is a fault.

On the eMTB forum there are quite a few people who’ve suffered motor or battery failures, along with the design issues. The warranty problems are easily sorted but the design issues seem to be a lottery as to whether you’ll get an easy fix or a battle with your dealer.

Bosch and Shimano motored bikes aren’t much better. The Bosch has a well known design flaw that the Gen 4 motor has eliminated and the Shimano seems to have an issue with the bottom bracket bearings if ridden hard.

I’m on my third Bosch motor in under 1500 miles and I know people with Spesh and Shimano bikes who’ve had motors and/or batteries fail.

EDIT: Spesh are also experiencing issues with the TCU on the 2019 bikes.

Tracey

Must just be lucky with the three we have in the family shared between four of us. A 2017 and 2 2018.

Best keep my fingers crossed.

It would be nice if we had a survey from riders who actually own Ebikes to see what problems, if any, they have had. Might help prospective buyers narrow their choice.

Our red one is defiantly faster than the blue one, we have checked everything and they are all set up the same but who ever grabs the red one is always first up the hill.

doomanic

@Tracey check the firmware is the same on both bikes.

Tracey

All have the latest firmware.

doomanic

In that case I’d be testing Spesh’s legendary warranty if the slower bike is still covered. There was a chap on the eMTB forum who had a motor replaced and the replacement was massively down on power compared to the original. He got it replaced.

iainc

red is always faster than blue though, its the rules 🙂

Tracey

The other two aren’t down on power though. Must be the colour even if the blue one looks nicer.

Going to swap over the 650b+ wheels on the red one to some spare 29rs just to see what it rides like. think it will need a part worn tyre on the rear for clearance. Anyone else done it.

richmtb

All have the latest firmware.

I read this about a mountain bike and died a little inside!

iainc

Aye, next thing folk will actually take their mountain bikes into the mountains, eh 🙂

tomhoward

Going to swap over the 650b+ wheels on the red one to some spare 29rs just to see what it rides like. think it will need a part worn tyre on the rear for clearance. Anyone else done it.

I’ve done it F&R to my 2016 Levo, fits fine with 29×2.35 tyres and really improves the bike IMO, but I’m not a fan of plus tyres.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Lets see your….Full suss ebikes !’ is closed to new replies.