• This topic has 122 replies, 67 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by danbo.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 123 total)
  • Let's see your full suspension Specialized please
  • tenfoot

I remember lusting after one – jeez, they look like a poor Halfords special now

Yes, the ole girl does look a bit bso. Back in the day (98), I thought it looked thoroughly modern, especially as it was a replacement for a fully rigid Bear valley.

widge34
    Free Member

I absolutely love my Spesh Evo. The way it looks and rides 😀

waldo1
    Free Member

I’ve only had two rides on it so far, but am loving it. Jumps well,handles great, quick and nimble…braaaaap!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Cammer
    Free Member

2011 Stumpy Evo

J273
    Free Member

Waldo – Love that 🙂 Wasn’t sure on the colour scheme when i saw it but built up looks stunning.

Are they the new light bike rims? Did you go hookless?

waldo1
    Free Member

Thanks j273
    It looks a bit odd in pictures but much more different in the flesh.

The rims are the light bicycle 35mm width, hookless. They are beasts!!!!

richwales

Stumpjumper Evo

breadcrumb

My 08 Pitch;

Just gone 1*10, thinking of changing the forks and wheels too maybe.

jonjones262
    Free Member

My old Pitch Pro

[/url][/img]

My current Demo 8

[/url][/img]

I_Ache
    Free Member

My new one 2011 Stumpjumper Carbon

finners

jonjones262
    Free Member

Here’s my Demo 8 again but also my Daughter’s Spech

[/url][/img]

AndyA
    Free Member

2010 stumpy frame, lowered 36’s, short stem, wide bars. Great wee bike!

NormalMan

As this thread proved more popular than I’d imagined here are a couple more pics of mine*:

* Please excuse the grass, if you can call it that!

I had asked this on the previous page but thought I’d ask again – for those with the Triad II shock – do you mainly use ProPedal or Open setting for general trail riding?
    (I am trying to get it ‘just right’ but limited play time means opportunities are few and far between ATM)

rwills2
    Free Member

Pro Pedal off road climbing and flat ish stuff.

Fully open for downhill and any technical flat stuff.

NormalMan

Thanks rwills2

I’d always pretty much left it on. But despite trying different shock pressures found the small stuff, the rooty bits, etc in my local woods never really were soaked up. Bigger hits were OK.

Is your one OK over that sort of thing?

After reading the 26er test in last month’s ST and how they used the Fox CTD shocks on D for the majority of the test it made me wonder if I’d got it wrong.

I’ve only had the time for one quick ride with it left on open (propedal off) it seemed better but I’d need more time to feel certain.

rwills2
    Free Member

No probs.

My rear shocks always been very responsive be it on small stuff or big hits. As silly as it sounds trying to look down when you’re pedalling over some rough ground to see how much the shock is moving could be an idea if you think its not soaking stuff up very well. Just dont do it when you’re going too quick!

If you’ve adjusted the shock pressure but that’s not helping you could first make sure you have your sag set up correctly and then play with the rebound setting? Maybe try increasing it and see if that has an effect.

If all else fails a service could be in order. I had issues with my fork (Fox Float 120mm) being very unresponsive but cleared that up with a service recently which has completely changed the feel of the bike.

How long have you had the bike? It sounds like you’ve got it recently?

J273
    Free Member

My new build – 29er Stumpy EVO

Northwind

Had this for a while, it was alright but it’d aged hard, it was probably a beast when it was new but outclassed by modern kit.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/9WecWY]Blunt instrument 2[/url] by Northwindlowlander, on Flickr

And it seems I rated my Camber so highly, I kept absolutely no photos of it. Pointless thing.

NormalMan

rwills
    How long have you had the bike? It sounds like you’ve got it recently?

I’ve had it 18 months but a month after buying it I got injured (non-bike related) but I couldn’t pedal for over 6 months and I’ll need a new hip at some point.

When I did get riding it was and still is mainly road biking now. I also bought a 29er ht as much of the off road I could do was towpath, family rides, etc. (Plus new bike want as I was riding again 🙂 )

I tried lower pressure purely as the forks require less psi than fork leg suggest. That said if I use the right psi for my weight on the rear shock then it is bang on 25% sag.
    I’d set rebound according to the Spesh chart though as it is my first FS.

NormalMan

You mean you didn’t like your Camber then Northwind? 😆 😉

Northwind

I didn’t dislike it… I just didn’t get it, I loved the idea but it went up about the same as a Stumpy and down less well. It was a 26 mind, I gather the 29er is better?

NormalMan

Northwind – Member 
    I didn’t dislike it… I just didn’t get it, I loved the idea but it went up about the same as a Stumpy and down less well. It was a 26 mind, I gather the 29er is better?

Mine is a 26er but the one with tapered ht, etc.

I see where you are coming from (I was just messing as I’ve read your comments before and respect your opinion on here), although I’ve not tried the 29er version.

Swapping the stock 90mm stem for a 50mm changed the feel of the bike. I guess I’ve tried to make a 26er Evo that never was made by Spesh. At the very least up the fun content, or in marketing terms dial down the xc but dial up the trail. (Totally awesome radical dude tm 😉 )

Northwind

You don’t want to go respecting my opinion 😆 I think if I’d got the tapered one I’d have fired a head angle thinger into it and a 130mm fork and seen what happened. Not had much luck with spesh tbh but if I had the money I’d have an enduro 29 in the garage like a shot.

NormalMan

Most of the spec is what I wanted tbh. Bigger front tyre and rotor compared to the rear versions. 2 x 10 incl XT rear mech. All stuff I’d have done to the m4 frame version.

Funny enough when showing my father the bike when I fitted the new bars he suggested an angleset thing.

acehtn
    Free Member

Northwind old chap 🙂 “it’s aged hard, beast in it’s day “

The 05 S Works Enduro outclassed a lot of DH bikes (in the hands of Dirt mag) they also had a 06 SX Trail in the mag, and similar response, just that the SX was only happy if really shown some rough air miles 🙂

I too have a 07 SX 1 all stock (got both shock shuttles still)

Is it aged because new bikes are slacker and lower C-of-G as no one has let me borrow a full on DH bike i can’t compare….. just curious 🙂

devash
    Free Member

@Normal Man

I’ve never used the Triad rear shock (as mine came with an RS Ario) so can’t comment on it but the rear end was never plush on mine until I bought a Fox RP23 and had it custom tuned for the bike and my weight. The suspension is a lot nicer now.

I’m still not 100% happy with mine though. The geometry on the large is more like an XL in most other manufacturer’s sizing (except Yeti) so what should feel like a playful 26er rides more like a compromised 29er with 26 inch wheels.

Now if only I had the money to upgrade. 😀

NormalMan

Thanks Devash.

Size is OK on mine. Smaller than the same size (L) 29er ht I have.
    With the stem / bar combo it flicks around well. Just not sure how to get the rear shock spot on. Or maybe I have but my lack of FS experience might not know it yet!

devash
    Free Member

Regarding the shock, it could be lots of different things really.

25% sag works for most people on trail and XC duty but if your regular riding involves lots of rutty / rooty stuff you might want to soften it up a bit by lowering the pressure to 30%. I actually ran the Ario at 20% for XC / pootling about and then would increase it to 30% for trail centers and this worked really well. With the RP23 I just leave it at 25 and it works wherever I am riding.

Running faster rebound might help if the shock is packing up or wallowing over rooty stuff.

NormalMan

Thanks again.

I did try 30% sag but with the Pro Pedal on*. So will do some more testing when I can with the shock on Open. If that can’t sort it then I’ll revisit the rebound.

*not on when I set the sag BTW.

Northwind

acehtn – Member

Is it aged because new bikes are slacker and lower C-of-G as no one has let me borrow a full on DH bike i can’t compare….. just curious

Well, what sums it up… first time I met you, I’d taken mine to fort william but also took my hemlock, I did one practice run on the hemlock the day before the race (I’d done one the week before on the SX) and that was it, SX for sale.

But I mean, fair play, by that time it was 6 years old I think so everyone else’d had a lot of time to catch up- it’s a really unfair comparison.

acehtn
    Free Member

Last time i raced at the fort, i ditched the hardtail, thought i had better try a big bike at least once on a proper track, not like the short length hills we mostly have down here, although Rheola is worth a vist.

Did a 7min run without trying….. bike just soaked it up, i couldn’t slow down because it was skimming so much.
    Then the dreaded Juicy brake reliabilty kicked in 🙂

I found the SX true to reports, it needs a good kicking to challenge it, it just dealt with the track.
    Reckon your right though, it’s an era of geometry thats been surpassed, and it’s dated. I am used to the geo and not ridden a modern geo bike, so can’t compare.

Still rip’s 🙂 mines been in a box since that race, must build it up again, race in vet’s somewhere.

Did see a Stumpjumper FSR raced one year, and it lasted all 6 hours 🙂

NormalMan

Great to see this thread still living on.

Any more pics to come?

Toasty

Slightly bonkers one, XXL 29er Stumpy built up last year. Few bits have changed. Not quite sure if the XL would have fit better, either way I’ve posted my fastest lap times on this giant monster.

I bought an XXL S-Works M5 Stumpy HT frame at the same time, equally gangly thing.

chaos

Edit No.3 😳

[url=https://flic.kr/p/nwWZTm]Epic_Square_and_Compass_02[/url] by Surftastic99, on Flickr

My lovely Epic Evo before the bastards nicked it 😥

beardo

my 1998 FSR Elite!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

my 1998 FSR Elite!

WOW!
    Would love to see that with some period correct tyres and a Flite, maybe, but that’s a stunner! That stem! 😀

beardo

The original ground controls perished round Llandegla :-/

It also has a reverse pull XTR rear mech so it all works backwards, works really well but very confusing when i get to ride it now!

I_Ache
    Free Member

Mine in the most upto date pic I have. A couple of things have changed now.

I have had it a month and am loving it. Climbs so well and descends a lot better than I was expecting. Not quite a smooth as my old Enduro Evo but that is to be expected.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/nvWJmA]20140413_112549[/url] by i_ache, on Flickr

northeastAndy
    Free Member

P1000287 by AMW1977, on Flickr

My 2008 enduro, looking clean ish for once

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 123 total)

The topic ‘Let's see your full suspension Specialized please’ is closed to new replies.