Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 297 total)
  • Let's see your Fat bikes….
  • swavis

@drofluf, it’s the 47mm wide SL’s I’m looking at.

These ones

trail_rat
    Free Member

if i could find a reasonable 165 rear hub that isnt costing a fortune then id build up a pair of those trailtechs and some nates for general usage and keep the current wheelset for when im going floating.

100mm arctic cycles on ringle rear and XT front with larry and endo combo + surly tubes = 12lbs !

whole bike weighs 32lbs so go figure.

drofluf
    Free Member

swavis – Member

@drofluf
    , it’s the 47mm wide SL’s I’m looking at.

These one

Haven’t tried them but they seem to get a thumbsup here on the Fatbike forum of MTBR. The advice there is usually pretty sound.

swavis

@ trail rat, Oof, that’s quite lardy 😀

I’m in Speyside, Moray so hoping to get decent time on the snow, hence why I’m fretting over rim choice, do I go for something wider for when the snow’s on the ground or narrower which should be better for most of the year. It’s Nate tyres I’ve gone for if that makes any difference.

trail_rat
    Free Member

even on 47s itll be better than a normal MTB or even those 3inch gazzaloddis people were trying to bodge into kinda fat bikes….

look at shaggys sandman for inspiration – it was down to 27lbs iirc . not sure what his on-one is ….

look on his dazeoftundra blog.

im sure he has fairly narrow rims on – and what he doesnt know about snow bikes im sure you could write on the back of a 5 pence piece in felt tip

sofaking
    Free Member

its all about fun fun fun

[/url] 40 miles of smiles by Kriegaffe 9, on Flickr[/img]

stufive
    Free Member

WANT ONE

singlespeedstu

Fatbike transporter picture. 😉

20120331_135847 by singlespeedstu, on Flickr

toons
    Free Member
    stufive
    Free Member

Can someone give me a shopping list of parts so i can build one 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

Swavis -go wide. You have other, narrower tyred options already. Rolling Daryls perhaps?

swavis

Damn you druidh! I’d nearly made my mind up then 😆

trail_rat
    Free Member

go wide first ….

you can always swap back later …. although IIRC druidh has 80mm rims ….

100mm is too wide – maybe with big fat larrys they be good but my rims are wider thn my tires 😀

druidh
    Free Member

There’s a noticeable difference in tyre width between Large Marge and Rolling Darryls. The latter haven’t stopped me having fun and they are still relatively light.

fenboy

How fat do you need to be to get one?

drofluf
    Free Member

fenboy – Member
    How fat do you need to be to get one?

The ‘fat’ refers to tyre width rather than rider width

HTH

😀

swavis

druidh – Member
    There’s a noticeable difference in tyre width between Large Marge and Rolling Darryls. The latter haven’t stopped me having fun and they are still relatively light.

I think I’d be as well go for the Darryls then, it’ll stop me wanting to upgrade to a wider rim in the future at least 😉

Is there anywhere in the UK that stocks the 170mm Hope hub?

druidh
    Free Member

Try any bike shop that has an account with Hope?

Or try these guys
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/ED-Bikes/204940046303595

It doesn’t (yet) come with a skewer either. Your options are pretty limited. I think it’s only Salsa or Old Man Mountain.

Edit: fatbirds.co.uk are advertising them, though on back order

trail_rat
    Free Member

i need to get my patent on 😉

ive just had a brain storm of epic proportions.

SidewaysTim

Here’s mine – it tends to get a bit dirty and stay that way…

We have a 16″ demo bike too, so if anyone is fat curious, come and have a ride. Check first though as we’re selling the 16″ off and just keeping the 18″ for now.

Keep most tyres and rims in stock too, along with hubs and building many wheels so if you want a chat about wheels or whatever gis a shout.

motorman
    Free Member

Swavis,

Didn’t take long to convince you eh? 😉

If you can build up with 36H, here is a much cheaper option than the surly rims for the front, or with some mods for the rear

Fat rims

If it is a do-it-all wheel you can’t go wrong with 80’s. Mine have been through everything from tidal mud at Findhorn to the top of Speyside’s finest. 100mm rims are too wide for general riding, very specific to ultra soft condition riding, where float is paramount.
    One thing to remember – 80mm rims might be a bit fragile for bombing down the side of conval & the likes – double wall marges might serve you better?

If you find any fatty gear in the States you need, let me know, as I can get it hand carried over 😉

fenred
    Free Member

Great pics motorman!

smiff
    Free Member

so this is like the anti-29″er? and you all run rigid? i want one just from reading this thread.

druidh
    Free Member

Some have front suspension, but there are few compatible forks on account of the tyre width. Full sus is a bit “build your own” at the moment.

All of the single-wall rims seem to come with a warning about not being used on rocky terrain. From what I’ve seen/done myself these warnings can be taken with a pinch of salt.

swavis

motorman – Member
    Swavis,

Didn’t take long to convince you eh?

Strike while the iron’s hot and all that 😀

Cheers for all the advice peeps, I’ll see what the budget allows as this is the biggest factor atm. I may end up going for the cheaper option to get me rolling then see what the xmas bonus is like 😉

druidh
    Free Member

I said it somewhere else, but I reckon if I was buying now I’d just go for a 2013 Mukluk full build and save all the fanny-ing around. It has SRAM shifters, but that’s an easy fix.

swavis

The build I’m doing will be basically the same except for the wheels. I’ll be fitting Shimano shifters and mechs. Only other thing I need is a 100mm ISIS BB for my old cranks. The rest is in the parts bin.

SidewaysTim

I’ve got 100mm Isis and square taper BB’s in stock (Phil Wood for the square, so plenty spendy!).

The 2013 Pugsleys have just landed in a fetching shade of yellow. Good starting point ,as they just work.

fenred
    Free Member

Do you have prices please Tim, can’t see anything on your website?

bencooper
    Free Member

There were still a few 2012 Salsa Mukluks left last time I checked – that’s why I got myself a demo bike 🙂

bruneep

Anyone know of demo medium fat bikes up for sale?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

bruneep – Member
    Anyone know of demo fat bikes up for sale?

Where abouts are you?? Tim has a demo Pugsly..and if your’e heading this way, you’d be welcome to try my 9:Zero:7..

Meant to say, I’m near Dealmere. Tim is in Alsager..

bencooper
    Free Member

Just checked – only 15″ 2012 Mukluks left…

coastkid
    Free Member

2013 Pugsleys complete are a good bike now with a few good upgrades been done; Microshift Thumbies (same as the Moonlander), Ultra front hub (push in spacers like Hope) and D type mech does not collect as much mud as older E types

2013 Mukluk looks good too

Both i would say equal and depends on sizing, tastes in style, steel or alloy frame.

The pugs LX rear hub will eventully need swapped out if you head for the coast or are regular swamp riding,

Mukluk freehubs (Formula) have failed too and a mate had a few issues to get another and had to go Stateside for it…

Both stock bikes are a hoot to own and ride 🙂

Only go for the Moonlander for mission specific riding, for me that is very wet soft sand, rock riding on the coast where it really shines and is a whole new level of float :mrgreen:

crocodilian
    Free Member

You can see my fatbike shortly as I’m currently building up a 9:ZERO:7 with some old and some new parts. Might be done by tomorrow if the postie flys swift…

bruneep

Where abouts are you?? Tim has a demo Pugsly..and if your’e heading this way, you’d be welcome to try my 9:Zero:7..

Meant to say, I’m near Dealmere. Tim is in Alsager..

In Aberdeen tis a bit far.

druidh
    Free Member

If you’re ever passing Edinburgh with a bit of time to spare, let me know.

bencooper
    Free Member

I’m in Glasgow, if you want to have a go on the Mukluk…

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Snow mode

Beach mode

Race mode

Chill mode

motorman
    Free Member

bruneep – Member
    Anyone know of demo medium fat bikes up for sale?

I keep toying with selling mine, to fund another build (19″). I’m in Lossie if you ever want to try one.

Swavis – I have had 2x gigapipe & 2x FSA Platinum BBs on my bike. I have found that the gigapipe is the better of the two, as it can be serviced for around £24.
    The FSA platinum cannot be repaired, as the bearing races are integral with the shell. It also only has 2 bearings, where the Gigapipe uses 4.

Replace the 4x 7mm bearings with 2 of these –

ISIS Bearings

Top tip – strip down the BB before fitting & pack out the bearings with quality grease – this is usually why they fail early.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 297 total)

The topic ‘Let's see your Fat bikes….’ is closed to new replies.