Viewing 23 posts - 81 through 103 (of 103 total)
  • Let’s have some odd, cool, iconic and awful police cars of yesteryear and today
  • db

No Rover P6? I remember have a ride round in the back of one in the late 70s with blues and twos going. One of my early childhood memories. Good thread.

Mikkel
    Free Member

Volvo amazon

raybanwomble
    Free Member

null

votchy
    Free Member

@fasthaggis

yep thats the one, got stopped by one at 2am on a Monday morning whilst travelling at <cough>100mph<cough>. Whilst I know this is unacceptable, the fact that the police car had tailled me with no lights on on an unlit road seemed a bigger issue to me. As I indicated for the next exit his headlights appeared about 20m off my rear bumper and he had the pleasure of telling me that he had been doing 130 to catch me. Anyways that was 28yrs ago and I still think they look cool.

RoterStern
    Free Member

This was a pretty iconic police car round tgese parts
    This was pretty iconic round these parts.

kerley
    Free Member

kilo

Vauxhall Senators- we had the replacement model the Omega three litres as tracker cars, unmarked but just looked like 5-0 anyway! Blisteringly fast and handled really well even with a boot full of electronics, you could even sleep quite comfortably in them which is one of the most important factor in any surveillance vehicle. The previous system used a Vauxhall Marina with all the aerials in a roof rack, they were sheds!

fasthaggis

2cv

Houns

My old man is an ex West Mids police traffic cop. Various Cosworths, Rover fastbacks, and Volvo T5 were the regular workhorses

nwmlarge
    Free Member

Allegedly Essex police managed to write them all off through crashing or not maintaining the tappets.

willard

I had an ex-police Omega MV6. When it was dirty (almost all the time) you could see the outlines of the Thames Valley force logos on the side which used to confuse a lot of people.

Great car. Very comfortable and fast, tail happy, but with a really lazy V6… Sooooo slow to accelerate below about 2.5k, then just power until 6k.

Rubbish head gaskets though.

Dickyboy

@roter stern similar to the Yugo Zastava no? I remember seeing one of those pulling over another Zastava whilst touring Yugoslavia – brought to mind the old “it takes one to catch one” advert from porsche 😃

derek_starship
    Free Member

Which force used the MGB GT?

Looks cute.

NOt good for four big armed officers though.

TheDTs
    Free Member

bikebouy
    Free Member

This is what I grew up seeing most of, Dodge Coronets.. every where you looked there would be one hiding behind a drive thro’ or a billboard…

Or these Plymouth Furys…

singletrackmind

The God awful offerings from BL
    <

img src=”http://www.flickr.com/photos/65649574@N07/7151746441&#8243;

I need Dracs Ipad , mines bust

mildred

in fact it looks to me like a Nottinghamshire car and if its on the bridge between Lazonby and KO then its a long way from home.

Yes it’s Notts; That particular car was only a few days old & was on a blue light run on the M1 when someone swerved across his lane. The driver took avoiding action and ended up the embankment. Bit of a legend for writing off the 1st Cossie.

hot_fiat

My dad had a couple of Senators in the late 80s / early 90s: a 3.0 12v with the lazy cam-in-head, head and then a 3.0 24v, which was white and ballistic! Cross country it was a superb vehicle with a great chassis. It’d also eat up a drive across Europe easily.

We used to play stupid games on motorways like set the cruise @69 mph for a while and watch the tailback of driven-like-nuns assemble behind.

papamountain
    Free Member

Murray

I think Sussex had the MGB

chakaping
    Free Member

The Lotus is cool, but is it broken down in that pic?

derek_starship
    Free Member
    failedengineer

I remember getting pulled over on my Triumph Tiger Cub in probably 1971, by the Burnley Police in an MGBGT. In fact I think it may have been an MGC, I can’t quite remember. They pulled alongside and the Bobby in the passenger seat’s head was about level with my petrol tank!

Viewing 23 posts - 81 through 103 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘Let’s have some odd, cool, iconic and awful police cars of yesteryear and today’ is closed to new replies.