Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 131 total)
  • Lets have a campervan thread
  • wors

c’mon lets see em 😀

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Another one??? Oooh go on then.

’95 Westfalia T4 California Coach

camo16
    Free Member

Bimbler
    Free Member

I’ve been pondering campervans for some time now. Question I ask for the cognoscenti is why are VW transporters so favoured over the likes of Renault Masters et al

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

VWs have been linked to surf culture for years so there is the trendy lifestyle element, but I think the main reason is that most of the first mass-produced small campervans were on a VW platform so there is a much longer history of conversions…so more knowledge about how to convert them, and more of the relevant bits available.

I think I’m right in saying that VW are also the only mainstream vehicle manufacturer who do a factory conversion (the current California). All the others are after-market.

Having driven a number of vans I’d say they were also the most “car-like” to drive.

dribbling
    Free Member

Camo; that is the funniest thing I’m going to see this week. I strangely want to see it drive past…

Gunz
    Free Member
    neville
    Free Member

Vauxhall Vivaro’s work well as a camper. They drive well and comfortable in the back.

It fact I know of one for sale if anybodies interested: Van for Sale

footflaps

I keep thinking of buying one then look at how much they cost, quickly change my mind!

Edit: Great article from the Mash there 🙂

LoCo
    Free Member

Custom modular build being planned for winter on the Loco T4 at present. 😀

pedalhead
    Free Member

I bought an ’08 T5 Kombi a few weeks ago. Absolutely love it, wish I’d bought one years ago. Not going for a full camper conversion as I want the versatility of a bike/junk hauler, but I’m going to insulate it (for noise mainly), install 12v elecs and a 240v hookup, stick a pop top on and get a removable kitchen pod thing. Also considering an erberspacher heater but not sure about that yet.

I was lucky to find a good van, 2+1 rear quick release seats (leather) make it really handy with kids/dog etc, tailgate, electric windows, air con and a full VW history. It’s a brilliant family vehicle.

alfabus
    Free Member

pedalhead… very similar to mine, except mine is an ’07 black LWB; oh, and I’ve got 2 single seats up front.

Strongly considering getting a reimo poptop with a roof bed installed, so that we can have the back full of bikes and kit, pop the roof and instant comfy bed 🙂

Dave

nealglover
    Free Member

Clean. Before Alps trip.

Not so clean. During Alps trip.

Clean again.

ski
    Free Member

Gunz – that’s local to me!

Is it a 4 seater?

Must resist, must resist 😉

pictonroad

Bought this yesterday, it’s a present for my son’s 1st Birthday. He’s said I can borrow it though.

99 westfalia exclusive 2.5tdi.

pedalhead
    Free Member

alfabus
    pedalhead… very similar to mine, except mine is an ’07 black LWB; oh, and I’ve got 2 single seats up front.

Strongly considering getting a reimo poptop with a roof bed installed, so that we can have the back full of bikes and kit, pop the roof and instant comfy bed

Dave

That was my thinking too, though I’m not sure I’m going to splurge on a Reimo. Do you think they’re worth the extra £££ over something like a Vamoose?

mattbee

This winter’s project for me is a Vivaro/Trafic/Primastar with tracks in the back holding a 3 seater rock n roll bed and cooker unit that are re/movable. Sort of a modular camper van.

alfabus
    Free Member

That was my thinking too, though I’m not sure I’m going to splurge on a Reimo. Do you think they’re worth the extra £££ over something like a Vamoose?

Been agonising over this very question…. my reasoning at the moment is that a bad roof has the potential to utterly spoil the van (leaks, noise, creaking etc.), so if I’m going to do it, I should do it properly!

They are expensive though!

Dave

nealglover
    Free Member

Pictonroad, the LWB Westy Exclusive is by far the finest compact camper available in my opinion.

Brilliant layout and so cleverly designed to make the best use of the space.

Very good purchase !!

(is the 150bhp or the 102bhp ?)

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Oh no, the Belgians heard about this thread:

pedalhead
    Free Member

Been agonising over this very question…. my reasoning at the moment is that a bad roof has the potential to utterly spoil the van (leaks, noise, creaking etc.), so if I’m going to do it, I should do it properly!

They are expensive though!

Dave

Yeah, my thoughts too. Got an installer in mind yet?

thegeneralist
    Free Member

bad roof has the potential to utterly spoil the van (leaks, noise, creaking etc.), so if I’m going to do it, I should do it properly!

Agreed, therefore don’t go for the Reimo one – it’s not very good. I agonised for ages whether to get Reimo or SCA and in the end went for the Reimo one as I couldn’t actually find any SCA ones to view. It cost me around £4000 including the respray and roofrack.

Since then I’ve seen a few SCA ones on France and Germany and they just seem so much better made. I really wish I’d got one.

Advantages of SCA:
    Better fit at the front where the roof meets the fairing.
    75kg rated roofrack instead of 50kg
    One piece strengthening unit instead of the multi part Reimo one.*
    Much better bed arrangement which allows it to be completely closed off
    Better tent shape gives more usable room.

Advantages of Reimo:
    I heard from one person on a German forum that their SCA cloth sides leaked. Uncorroborated but this was what swayed me to Reimo in the end and I really regret it.

* One of the converters in Devon told me about this difference and said you need to use four times as much glue on the Reimo strengthener to try to make up for the limitations of the frame. He was right. My LWB creaks and groans like mad if I drive over a diagonal bump.

Get an SCA one.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

LWB Westy Exclusive is by far the finest compact camper available in my opinion.

What that huge red thing. Surely that doesn’t fall into the category of compact camper does it? It must be about 2.6m high?

alfabus
    Free Member

@pedalhead – I emailed mad workshop in bristol on Monday, but they haven’t responded to me (not a great sign).

@thegeneralist – Interesting stuff, commence googling!
    Out of interest, where are yo?, is there any chance I could have a look at yours? Struggled so far to find any that I can see in the flesh (I’m in Cheltenham)

Cheers,
    Dave

pictonroad

Pictonroad, the LWB Westy Exclusive is by far the finest compact camper available in my opinion.
    Brilliant layout and so cleverly designed to make the best use of the space.
    Very good purchase !!
    (is the 150bhp or the 102bhp ?)

It’s the final act of Westfalia before they folded, all of their compact camping know how in one package. This and the late model T4 California pop tops are brilliant.

It’s a 102, drove it for the first time yesterday, flew up hills no bother. It’ll receive injectors and a remap but tbh, it doesn’t “need” it…

I also own this

But can’t keep both…..

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Worst Photos ever but comfortable and plenty of room.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

alfabus

I’m in Manchester (alas) but if you’re ever up this way then let me know.
    I bought mine 6 years ago pretty soon after the T5 came out and just as people started moving away from the awful white with brown/green stripes down the side T4s that were all the rage. We wanted loads of special things done but couldn’t find any examples to see what was possible. With VW conversions you can do almost anything you want to…. but can rarely do everything that you want to… and choosing the key bits is tricky. A mate of mine has a full toilet and shower in the back of his. But has poxy little beds whereas I have a bed that is over 2m long and goes the full width of the van. So you need to decide what’s important.

But I would genuinely steer you away from a Remio pop top. The german word you are looking for is aufstelldach.
    SCA Daecher is the company.
    http://www.sca-daecher.de/index.php?id=3

nealglover
    Free Member

What that huge red thing. Surely that doesn’t fall into the category of compact camper does it? It must be about 2.6m high?

It’s not a coachbuilt motorhome, so I see it as a “compact camper” meaning it’s based on a standard Van chassis in length and width.

You can call it whatever you want. Makes no difference really, it’s still the best camper of its size by a country mile.

nealglover
    Free Member

It’s a 102, drove it for the first time yesterday, flew up hills no bother. It’ll receive injectors and a remap but tbh, it doesn’t “need” it…

The 102 has plenty of power really, but as you suggest, injectors and a remap will improve it no end.

A Decat pipe and EGR delete would work wonders too.

Mine (above) is a 150bhp with a remap, EGR delete and Decat pipe. Making it just above 185bhp (plus BAGS of torque!) it’s a flying machine 🙂

nickjb
    Free Member

We ‘need’ a 4×4 for other hobbies so it doubles up as a makeshift camper. Pretty compact inside but comfortable enough.

P1070778 (Medium) by nickjb

P1070731 (Medium) by nickjb

P1070566 (Medium) by nickjb

Woody
    Free Member

Been seriously thinking about one after camping a lot this year but as per The Daily Mash “Vintage camper owner Nikki Hollis said: “Apparently ‘freedom’ means ‘travelling slowly in considerable discomfort while using shitloads of petrol’.” this is what puts me off as I would have to use it most of the time as my daily transport too.

A Bongo seems to be an option and I especially like the idea of 4 wheel drive as with winter tyres it would also solve the ‘need’ for a 4×4. Would I be right in thinking that it would be big enough for 2 adults and 2 big dogs with an awning for short’ish trips in reasonable comfort?

singlecrack
    Free Member

I’ve just ordered a rock’n’roll bed and some furniture for mine …..so in a coupe of weeks it’ll be a full blown camper

FieldMarshall

No pics I’m afraid, but we have an ’06 T5 LWB with Reimo roof and have no complaints about the roof, apart from the fact that the mattress is painfully thin.

We went for a “minimalist bespoke” conversion, so full width bed on rails, 12/240v and a removable kitchen unit.

Having the flexibility to move the seat and remove the kitchen pod is great.

I have read/heard about pros & cons for both the SCA and Reimo roofs, depending on which converter you talk to.

alfabus
    Free Member

SCA roofs do look pretty good. I like the idea of having the front spoiler, and the fact that they specifically mention keeping the vehicle height below 2m.

Found this ebay auction from freebird in devon, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SCA-elevating-pop-top-roof-for-Volkswagen-VW-T5-camper-/180973804832?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item2a22e11d20

Anyone used freebird? Are they worth the drive down from Chelt?

Dave

pictonroad

It’s not a coachbuilt motorhome, so I see it as a “compact camper” meaning it’s based on a standard Van chassis in length and width.

You can call it whatever you want. Makes no difference really, it’s still the best camper of its size by a country mile.

It’s compact but not small if that makes sense, I’ve had several T3 Westfalia’s including the one posted that is lowered 80mm with a pop top and can get in car parks and fit on my small drive. The compact nature is the length which is only 400mm longer than a normal SWB T4 believe it or not.

Westfalia have performed miracles inside. It is seriously amazing how they’ve fitted it in, that combined with the factory build quality has made me reluctantly excuse my utter aversion to high tops of any kind…

50kg factory bike rack and 50kg factory fitted kayak rack too.. 😉

2.7m actually, but I can’t see it when I’m driving…..

singlecrack
    Free Member

Alfabus That’s who are.doing my furniture …so I will be collecting it in a few weeks…will have a nosed at the poptops while I’m there

thegeneralist
    Free Member

it’s still the best camper of its size by a country mile.

Nope, mine’s better. Alas I don’t have any pictures.

Hope much does it cost on the peage?

pictonroad

same as any other T4 van..

The correct answer to the question “which is the best camper in the world?” is always, ” the one I’m in”

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Chamonix. The old girl did us proud this year, 3k miles round trip in 3 weeks, no problems whatsoever!

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Been seriously thinking about one after camping a lot this year but as per The Daily Mash “Vintage camper owner Nikki Hollis said: “Apparently ‘freedom’ means ‘travelling slowly in considerable discomfort while using shitloads of petrol’.” this is what puts me off as I would have to use it most of the time as my daily transport too.

I use mine as daily transport without any bother. It’s only a 1.9TD so not the fastest but will happily cruise all day at 75 and I get around 40mpg.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 131 total)

The topic ‘Lets have a campervan thread’ is closed to new replies.