• This topic has 124 replies, 77 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 125 total)
  • Let’s discuss Kirstie Allsopp’s travel arrangements
  • tomhoward

we had a next door neighbour who used to feed their kids sausages and fish fingers while they had steak or salmon!

Id take sausages and fish fingers as a kid….

pedlad

I agree with earlier post about enjoying doing exciting stuff like flying onto a holiday with my kids – especially if my work and school life (not private but v busy) means we’ve spent lots of time apart.

Other issue not mentioned so far is the safety consideration.  (Seeing as Ryan air charges to guarantee putting families together, this isn’t a purely class-based argument). If there is need for an emergency evacuation and I was apart from my young kids, I wouldn’t be turning left to go to the exit I’d be turning right to get to my 10 yr old – probably against the flow of escapees, slowing evacuation for all……but maybe that’s where I’m different to the Allsopps.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

<span style=”display: inline !important; float: none; background-color: transparent; color: #222222; font-family: ‘Open Sans’; font-size: 16px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: 22.4px; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;”>Other issue not mentioned so far is the safety consideration.  (Seeing as Ryan air charges to guarantee putting families together, this isn’t a purely class-based argument). If there is need for an emergency evacuation and I was apart from my young kids, I wouldn’t be turning left to go to the exit I’d be turning right to get to my 10 yr old – probably against the flow of escapees, slowing evacuation for all……but maybe that’s where I’m different to the Allsopps.</span>

Non issue. Plenty of carriers split up groups/families into different seats.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Why is she even taking her kids on holiday with her

Why is this even in the news ?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Other issue not mentioned so far is the safety consideration.  (Seeing as Ryan air charges to guarantee putting families together, this isn’t a purely class-based argument). If there is need for an emergency evacuation and I was apart from my young kids, I wouldn’t be turning left to go to the exit I’d be turning right to get to my 10 yr old – probably against the flow of escapees, slowing evacuation for all……but maybe that’s where I’m different to the Allsopps.

If kids are not with a parent then the person next to them is asked about emergency stuff, most airlines will try and move people in case of people being split up.

If you try and go against the flow of people in an emergency you will probably find yourself on your arse at the end of the slide.

This is also why airlines will charge and want to know the numbers of unaccompanied children so they can have enough staff and know who is dealing with them.

MSP

Ryan air charges to guarantee putting families together

Ryan air charges because they know most parents will pay, it is just a trick to squeeze more money out of passengers, they would stop if parents stopped paying as it would be less economical than just seating them together.

Coyote
    Free Member

However the rest of your point stands. If I can’t afford for all 4 of us to fly first class, then I’ll be in economy with the kids. We’re a family. It’s that simple.

I couldn’t agree more. No way would I put my children in economy whilst I flew business. I’ve far too much love and respect for them to treat them as inferior.

joshvegas
    Free Member

<div>CaptainFlashheart
    <div>
    <div>Member</div>
    </div>
    </div>

<div>

@perchy, I was flying over the weekend, as it happens. In these. You were right.

I think that was for me not him!

</div>

pedlad

If kids are not with a parent then the person next to them is asked about emergency stuff, most airlines will try and move people in case of people being split up.

If you try and go against the flow of people in an emergency you will probably find yourself on your arse at the end of the slide.

This is also why airlines will charge and want to know the numbers of unaccompanied children so they can have enough staff and know who is dealing with them.

Not sure I agree I’m afraid – the airlines can’t possibly believe that in an emergency situation that a stranger can be relied upon to care for a minor.Some would, but many would be out for themselves I’d suggest.

Who’s clearing the parent out to the slide, the cabin crew?! I doubt it so it then depends on the passengers and I’m pretty certain 6ft/14.5st motivated dad in that emergency situation, braced against seating would cause a major delay by trying to get up the plane. (I’m not saying that’s the right thing for the parent to do but just think a good number would in such a situation)

Almost certain that no change in staff numbers comes from unaccompanied minors. Especially on Ryan air. Chance of a cabin crew being near to the seat of that child when the panic starts is going to be slim.

andybrad

Kids, her responsibility. The crew are not child minders etc etc

maxlite
    Free Member

+1 She’s on my list of people I’d like to push down a flight of stairs.

They are your children, so your responsibility

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Who’s clearing the parent out to the slide, the cabin crew?! I doubt it so it then depends on the passengers and I’m pretty certain 6ft/14.5st motivated dad in that emergency situation, braced against seating would cause a major delay by trying to get up the plane. (I’m not saying that’s the right thing for the parent to do but just think a good number would in such a situation)

The mass of very motivated people going towards the exit. The simulations of these things get quite ugly, that seat your bracing against, I hear they come off the floor.

Chance of a cabin crew being near to the seat of that child when the panic starts is going to be slim.

They do have a lot of planning they can do, and the do that if needed.

Anyway if you don’t sit with your kids pay the extra for the staff to look after minors who are your responsibility.

dirksdiggler
    Free Member

Over here kids of 10 can be latch key kids. Kids of 12 can take a babysitting course and you can have them look after kids of any age.

I fail to see how what she’s doing is of any concern. Presumably these kids have flow ‘shed loads’ more than many adults and she’s entirely confident her kids have been raised to tackle any issues they may face on an aircraft (aside from disaster, but whose prepared for that anyway)

Brilliant idea.. prevents the family falling out while couped up in a tin box before actually reaching the destination!

MrSparkle

Can’t do wrong for right. Whatever she does she always has her knockers.

epicyclo

Can’t see the problem.

At 8 we were being sent off to boarding school in the middle of nowhere in Africa on a 1½ day train journey unaccompanied. We were given some money and had to jump off the train at various stations to buy food. Which was interesting because our Swahili was limited. The kindness of the Africans saw us through.

No one died although some cried.

Kids are tougher, more pragmatic and capable than helicopter parents think.

Edit: I should add the alternative was being put on a plane to the UK and boarding school there. None of us wanted that…

trailwagger
    Free Member

Can’t do wrong for right. Whatever she does she always has her knockers.

And big ones they are too….. haven’t heard them called that since the last Benny Hill episode aired in the 70`s.

Gotama
    Free Member

We had two kids of probably similar age sit next to us to make up a row of five on flight to Vancouver a fair few years ago. Kids had clearly been paid off with gadgets to amuse them for the flight whilst their parents popped back every hour or so to check. The kids thought it was great, an adventure is probably pushing it but certainly enjoyed being left to their own devices. Both behaved well and weren’t an issue, certainly a lot better than sitting next to an obese/stinky person for 10 hours.

If she wants to do it then fair enough, to suggest she is a poor parent because of it is a bit of a stretch. And all the waffle about ‘what if the plane crashes’; how many planes actually go down? Chances must be pretty slim, certainly lower than other stuff a 10 and a 12 year old get up to during the normal course of life. Car crash whilst getting a lift with a friends parent is probably much higher and i assume people allow their kids to travel with friends.

anagallis_arvensis

At 8 we were being sent off to boarding school in the middle of nowhere in Africa

How does it feel knowing your parents hated you?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

“Anyway if you don’t sit with your kids pay the extra for the staff to look after minors who are your responsibility.”

Not really, hosties do naff all for most of a long haul flight once the food services are done and dusted. They just want to get everyone off to sleep so they can have a natter in the back. Trying to get a drink out of them these days is like trying to get blood out of a stone. Keeping an eye on unattended kids is easier for them and more preferable to keeping an eye on adults that have drunk too much. It’s not as if kids get all distressed on flights anyway, they love it. They’re too young for their parents irrational fears of turbulence and flying to have rubbed off on them, it’s all a bit of an adventure. Plug themselves into the IFE four hours on end, have the hosties running around for them bringing them drinks and snacks all the while. In the meantime Kirsty is up front relaxing so when they arrive at the other end they’re not at each others throats after hassling each other for the previous 12 hours.

She’s obviously not a poor parent if she can leave her kids unattended for 12 hours without them causing chaos. Far cry to most of the parent supervised shell suited kids you see en-route to their standard 2 weeks in the sun on a typical package holiday who cause chaos and are sat with their parents who are too busy trying to shovel as much booze down their throats so they can arrive at the destination already p1ssed and in a bad mood. The parents are more badly behaved than their kids half the time.

But to some people on here she’s a bit posh and successful so has to be a bad odious sort of person. She actually vacuum cleans the back of her fridge to make sure it is running as efficiently as possible to save electricity and be kind to the planet. How many of her critics on here do that?

Cougar

Seems like a non-story to me.  If she’d paid for them to be up in the posh bit they’d have just run some story about how privileged she was wasting money putting kids in business class.

In the “event of an emergency” you’re all dead anyway so WGAF – how many people do you hear of being pulled out of the Atlantic with their inflatable jackets and a **** whistle?  The only reason airlines go through any of that crap is because if they went “in the event of an emergency, we’re all ****ed, thank you for flying Ryan Air” no-one would ever get on a plane again.

Also, @CaptainFlashheart, we have the exact same running shoes.

funkmasterp

She actually vacuum cleans the back of her fridge to make sure it is running as efficiently as possible to save electricity and be kind to the planet. How many of her critics on here do that?

Not me because it’s built in to a kitchen unit. If she really cared she’d use a feather duster rather than wasting precious electricity by using the vacuum cleaner.

dannyh
    Free Member

The big question in the case of Kirstie Allsopp is……

Would you?

epicyclo

anagalis_arvenis

How does it feel knowing your parents hated you?

We were in a remote area. It was the nearest school for European children. No other option apart from sending us back to the UK and boarding us there for 11 months of the year.

Anyhow it was brilliant. 🙂

There’s a book about it – a school in the middle of the African bush with frequent encounters with the larger wildlife. It only lasted 10 years.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Slope-Kongwa-Hill-Boys-Africa-ebook/dp/B00G9AW95E/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1528233470&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=tony+edwards+kongwa

sirromj

<h1 class=”post-title”>Let’s discuss Kirstie Allsopp’s travel arrangements</h1>
    <h1 class=”post-title”>Let’s Not.</h1>

tomhoward

Also,  @CaptainFlashheart, we have the exact same running shoes.

You don’t. You have the same footwear. A gentleman of CFH’s breeding never runs

perchypanther
    Free Member

A gentleman of CFH’s breeding never runs

franksinatra

Would you?

Hell yes.

scuttler

Regardless of what the right answer is how the **** did this get into the news? Practically speaking I see little issue with leaving 10+ age kids on their own for a few hours given that they have nowhere to go, but you’ve got to think poorly of your relationship with your kids if going on a family holiday means deliberately isolating yourself on the way. Isolating yourself from the fat people and the dirty scumbags on the other hand (having recently got off a transatlantic Virgin economy flight back to Manchester)…. 😮

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

this way no-one has crampt seats as the seats in economy will be ample for the kids whereas Kirstie would have quite a squeeze…

hugo
    Free Member

I’ve far too much love and respect for them to treat them as inferior.

Your kid’s bike costs the same as yours, right?  They’ve got the same amount of bikes as well of course. What about their mobile phone, the bed they sleep in or the coat they wear? All the same level, right?

Of course kids are treated differently sometimes.

If children couldn’t give a toss about the extra leg room and are going to veg to a film regardless then spend the extra thousands on the actual holiday.

rOcKeTdOg

“Club class should be huge treat that you’ve worked for. If kids get used to Club class what do they have to work towards?” she said.

good for you kirsty, most kids today are so pampered and expect everything on a plate without having to work for it, widening the gap between the haves and have-nots

kerley
    Free Member

If she is doing it to teach the kids that they have to work for everything then hopefully she is doing that in all factors of life and not just when saving money on flights

freeagent
    Free Member

Would you?

Yep, always been a fan..

As for putting your kids in cattle class whilst you’re in the big seats upstairs – i wouldn’t do it – we’d either all fly business or all fly economy.

PrinceJohn
    Free Member

Would you?

Would I what?

franksinatra

She’s been at it again, what a idiot.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-45472216

She needs to learn how to turn off the Wi-Fi….

binners

Along with Iain Duncan Smith, she’s someone I’d like to see live out the rest of her days in a damp, slum-landlord owned flat in the very worst crime-ridden, inner-city sink estate imaginable, on Jobseekers Allowance, then sanction both their benefits

MrPottatoHead

Meh – at least she gives enough of a shit about her kids to do something about it, even if the approach might not be great.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Did she smash their I pads before abandoning them on the staff in economy?

Drac

Pfffft! Who gives a shit?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well it tells us how much of a selfish cow she is

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 125 total)

The topic ‘Let’s discuss Kirstie Allsopp’s travel arrangements’ is closed to new replies.