Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 159 total)
  • Let me see your Cross Checks, Croix De Fer's or Similar
  • nedrapier

Thanks Turnerguy, this is what’s confusing me at the moment.

I’m not really fussed either way about tubeless* Are the Stans recommended pressures for tubeless only? Am I OK to get the Iron Cross rim and run 28c at 90ish as long as I use tubes?

*I don’t puncture much where I ride, and I use lightweight tubes, so I’m left with the unknown-to-me rolling resitance and lower pressure advantages to weigh up against all the faff** of tubeless – I’ll be swapping tyres from road/cx types quite regularly.

**I know, it doesn’t need to be, but maybe I’ll be one of those people!

nostoc
    Free Member

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Don’t think running 90 psi with stans is sensible, or maybe even advisable even with the tubes.

Why do you want to run 90 psi – you can run lower pressures with tubeless and there is no more rolling resistence as you don’t have the rolling resistence of the tube getting in the way

nedrapier

28c Road tyres? 90psi isn’t unusual, is it? On the low side if anything? How much less pressure would you stick in a tubeless road tyre?

jameso

90psi is normal to high-ish for a 28C, especially on a wider CX rim. I’m 165-170lbs and would use about 75-80. Got 85-90 in 25s at the moment. Lower pressures roll faster on anything but perfect tarmac or a track.

ime Stans can be a pita for non-tubeless tyres, but there’s not many good TLR rims in that 18-20C range yet. I have some XT 29er wheels for disc/CX etc but they’re heavier than some would like. I think the rim+tyre dims, pressures etc makes most difference to how well they roll so the weight is acceptable, no issue really.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

more than iron crosses might handle probably – I would look at Alpha 400s I think – give that ebay bloke a mail from his web site – as he is cheaper that way. He uses Novatech hubs which some of the other good web based builders also use.

nedrapier

Cheers both, that guy’s alpha sets are a good bit pricier than I’m looking a for bits and the “fun” of building myself.

Bit clueless about Road tyre pressures, to be honest. For some reason, I put 80 in my 35c slicks at the moment, but they’re a lot nicer with about 65ish.

Jameso, any thoughts about rims for my particular compromises? 🙂 I’m thinking Alpha 400s at the mo, like TG says.

OCB
    Free Member

Peregrine – small sized Wildcat Tiger bag, filled with a 5ltr Alpkit drybag (containing tools, spare tube, something to eat, loose change, windproof top).

jameso

No good tips sorry Ned, I’ve got some wide/light Alex rims for my next build-up but I had to order them from the factory. 719s with thin tubes and good flat-resist tyres would be my other choice. I’ve not used Stans CX rims but was always put off by how difficult Flows etc are to seat many tyres that rely on tubes, but could be wrong on the higher-pressure rim/tyres.

Nipper99
    Free Member

My Major Jake:

December 012 by jamesanderson2010, on Flickr

My Gryphon:

phone 035 by jamesanderson2010, on Flickr

nedrapier

OCB, silver rims look good!

Funny, jameso, never had an issue with Kendas or Contis on 355s, Crests or Arch EX. Always with tubes. Pump to 40,45 “pop” wait… “pop”, let out to 25-30.

sammers
    Free Member

[/url][/img]

Cross check 54cm I think – 105 groupset, Fulcrum cx5 wheels and cheap Tektro mini-vs – lovely but I’m thinking of upgrading to a lighter frameset to replace this as it’s my most-used bike and if it was a bit lighter I’d get rid of my carbon road bike for good.

Jamie
    Free Member

@Coastkid

What size frame is that CdF. Just wondering if I might run out of room with one of those Jandd bags on a 52cm Croix De Fer.

iainc

[/url]
    P1010123 by iain.clow, on Flickr[/img]

charliedontsurf

I dont have a pension, or medical insurance, or even enough money for a tank of petrol this weekend. But there are some places where I really dont want to cut corners…

salsa Ti warbird, stans tubeless, cowbell bars, ti post, vegetable pasty, coffee and iced tea.

charliedontsurf

oh… and its getting these wheels for road use. The stans crest only go to 45 psi which is plenty on a 35-40 tyre… but i like bike so much, it will become my long distance road bike.

stans 340 disc wheels.

flipiddy
    Free Member

Urban mode

Stealth cross mode

Tourer mode

Pose mode

Love my Genesis. Ace bike.

dknwhy

Vegetable pasty? Times must be hard.

cinnamon_girl

Enjoying this thread! 🙂

I’m intending to use mine on the currently pot-holed gravelly country roads. Prefer tubes so I can change tyres as and when required.

What’s so good about cowbell bars?

miketually
    Free Member

While you’re all here: I’ve worn the tyres that came on my X flat. They’re 35c Conti Cyclocross (wire bead). Suggestions for (cheap: ~£15) similar replacements?

Oh, some photos of my X on my latest ride/blog post.

oxym0r0n

Mike – I have a new pair of exactly what you have worn out if you want to buy them? (email in profile)

coastkid
    Free Member

What size frame is that CdF. Just wondering if I might run out of room with one of those Jandd bags on a 52cm Croix De Fer.

My CDF is a 56cm, did some bag mwasurements for you;
    Lenght along top of bag top under the TT is 38cm.
    Gap from rear of bag to seatpost under TT is 13cm.

we need a UK JanDD dealer!, they make some cool stuff, check out the dogs saddlebags :mrgreen:

Miketually;

Give me a buzz if you want when your passing through East Lothian on the North Sea Cycle route, happy to show you some of the John Muir Trail and hidden Gems like Seacliff beach and mini harbour under Tantallon Castle on your journey through our wee county 🙂

miketually
    Free Member

(email in profile)

Sweet, YGM.

Jamie
    Free Member

While you’re all here: I’ve worn the tyres that came on my X flat. They’re 35c Conti Cyclocross (wire bead). Suggestions for (cheap: ~£15) similar replacements?

Smart Sams?

miketually
    Free Member

Just bought some second hand Conti Cyclocross 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

My CDF is a 56cm, did some bag mwasurements for you;
    Lenght along top of bag top under the TT is 38cm.
    Gap from rear of bag to seatpost under TT is 13cm.

Cheers, CK.

Will get my tape measure out and see how I am fixed for room. Might need to invest in some side entry bottles cages, as I think it’s going to be tight.

…also, is that a custom bracket your rear, Lunar?, is on?

cinnamon_girl

Is wearing a hydration pack deemed to be a massive faux pas?

miketually
    Free Member

Might need to invest in some side entry bottles cages

I run side entry Elite cages on my X, as it lets me get two 750ml bottles onto the downtube mounts. Coupled with the Elite bottles, I’ve not lost a bottle yet. They’re also loads easier to get bottles in and out than normal cages.

miketually
    Free Member

I have flat pedals on mine, and wear baggy shorts over my hairy legs 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

I run side entry Elite cages on my X, as it lets me get two 750ml bottles onto the downtube mounts. Coupled with the Elite bottles, I’ve not lost a bottle yet. They’re also loads easier to get bottles in and out than normal cages.

Ordered a Lezyne side entry one, making sure to get a right handed model, to see how I get on with it. Which Elite cages you go with, as seem to be several different models.

Who cares? Go with what you want. After going from MTB > Road for a few years, I prefer not having nowt on my back, but don’t see no reason why one couldn’t.

I have flat pedals on mine, and wear baggy shorts over my hairy legs

I have made the switch from flats to spd, just to see how I get on. Currently, despite using SPD-SL for several years, I am falling sideways quite regularly 😀

….I still wear shorts, though 8)

miketually
    Free Member

Which Elite cages you go with, as seem to be several different models.

Elite Nane. Halfords have them for about £8.

coastkid
    Free Member

Jamie

..also, is that a custom bracket your rear, Lunar?, is on?

Its just a bracket from an old rear reflector. Used to squeeze the light in between the tool bag and mudguard. The Light is a Raleigh-prob made in same factory! 🙂

Nice bikes on this thread. currantly monstercrossing my Karate Monkey now too as enjoy the drop bar thing on easy green lanes and fire roads along with the commutte into the wind and the odd hill around here!

jerrys
    Free Member

My 2013 CdF. Sporting 28mm Panaracer TourGuard Plus.

Unfortunately I only managed about 4 miles on it today as my right knee is playing up. I might end up ditching the spd’s and going to flats.

nordofjura
    Free Member

I dont have a pension, or medical insurance, or even enough money for a tank of petrol this weekend. But there are some places where I really dont want to cut corners…

salsa Ti warbird, stans tubeless, cowbell bars, ti post, vegetable pasty, coffee and iced tea.

I like that attitude. Whether or not it is a Salsa Ti or vegetable pasta, it’s just that there are things, that make you happy now

cinnamon_girl

First ride today on the Croix de Fer so feeling happy. Strange using spd’s again although I may swap with flats to see how that feels. Used 32c Gatorskins but will try with the cx tyres.

@ Jamie – have you found any small frame bags that would fit?

Jamie
    Free Member

Just ordered a Deuter Front Triangle Bag from Wiggle. If it doesn’t fit, then it won’t cost me anything to send back. Will try and remember to post pics when it gets here.

cinnamon_girl

Thanks for replying Jamie. There seems to be some discrepancy on Wiggle’s q & a regarding the size! Pics would be good though. 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

In the meantime, here is a pic of MikeT’s 56cm Cotic-X:

SKS also make one, but I was put off by the reflective trim, and the plastic adjustment buckle thingies, which, while making it easier to cinch the straps down….might knacker paint over time.

cinnamon_girl

Mike’s is a Deuter one? Agree with you re adjustment thingies although you could replace them with velcro if you know how to use a sewing machine.

Yonks ago I did e-mail Wildcat but the triangle of my hardtail was too small.

monkeyp

In case any readers are interested, I am selling a 54cm Croix de Fer frame with Genesis carbon forks, seatpost, stem and bars. It is in a ‘well used’ condition.

Drop me a mail on andrew . c . pettifer at gmail if interested. I will take sensible offers.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 159 total)

The topic ‘Let me see your Cross Checks, Croix De Fer's or Similar’ is closed to new replies.