Home Forums Chat Forum ‘Let it bloom June’

Viewing 12 posts - 81 through 92 (of 92 total)
  • ‘Let it bloom June’
    Bunnyhop

It’s happened in our garden too, a common fragrant orchid. The first one since we moved here 17 years ago.

IMG_4449

wheelsonfire1

We’re looking forward to our privet hedges blooming, these fragrant, insect attracting flowers are missed by those who cut too early. I’ve spotted a lot of nocturnal moths on them in previous years as well as butterflies. @bunnyhop that’s a lovely orchid, it’s amazing that these plants just appear we’ve been here over 30 years and things keep popping up!IMG_2901

Bunnyhop

Most of these are wild or/ and have self seeded in the garden. Had 2 hover flies and a honey on them too.

IMG_4451

wheelsonfire1

They’re back!IMG_2909

wheelsonfire1

Lots of blackfly on the Cardoon (over 8’ tall) again this year but we’ve left them and the ladybirds have been very active eating the flies and also they’ve laid lots of eggs so in a week or so we should see the larvae fighting off the ants and eating the flies!

You will have to imagine as picture posting still not working. It’s taken from below the cardoons with a lovely blue sky as a backdrop. There are at least two ladybirds busying around and the yellowy eggs can be seen on many of the stems and leaves along with thousands of blackfly. I’ll post a picture when we’ve had another whip round!

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

We’ve had about 25 orchids this year! Loads of oak saplings too :)

wheelsonfire1

Yes, I get oaks in all the places the squirrels bury them, plant pots, raised beds and grass!

mattyfez
    Free Member

i’ve had a good amount of bees recently, just from weeds I’ve let grow, dunno what plant, but quite pretty purple flowers.

Now I’ve got a hedge hog!

I heard some scratching so I’ve put a bit of dog food out for it! :good:

Hopefully it can eat it before the local cats get to it, but it’s raining, so chances are good!

wheelsonfire1

That hedgehog is probably after the slug in the picture, keep it hungry but with places to hide and it’ll help you in the garden!

mattyfez
    Free Member

That hedgehog is probably after the slug in the picture, keep it hungry but with places to hide and it’ll help you in the garden!

I didn’t give it too much, just some in a ramekin behind the compost bin…it’s now been demolished, so somethings eaten it!

Bunnyhop

mattyfez can you buy or borrow a wildlife camera? It’s amazing what will come into a wildlife garden at night.

Even though ‘Let it bloom June’ has long gone, we’re still going until the end of August  for the ‘No Mow’.

Viewing 12 posts - 81 through 92 (of 92 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.