• This topic has 22 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by 10.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Lesson learned : don't experiment with tubeless indoors!
  • whatgoesup

To get a Rocket Ron Performance (I.e. non-tubeless) tyre to seat a bit more evently I pumped it up to 50PSI thinking a ‘pop’ would follow.

No – not a pop – a BANG followed by silence and then ears ringing…. sealant EVERYWHERE – really glad I was wearing glasses !

So – the bleedin’ obvious lesson – do this stuff outdoor… at least once sealant is introduced.

My biggest regret though is not taking a photo before cleaning up.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

MoreCashThanDash

😆

Poopscoop

Guessing the tyre blew of the rim rather than actually explode?! 🙂

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Do it again so we can see the results!

whatgoesup

Yes – it blew off the rim – tyre is fine. I am however wondering whether to refit or replace with a proper tubeless ready tyre – it will have a lot ofntoad use so be at 40PSI – not that far off 50 where it blew off and that was with no weight etc. Anyone want to buy a 29″ Racing Ralph – never even touched the road?

Yes – doing it again did occur to me- maybe get some cornflour in there for effect to get a great photo – definitely using a longer hose though and hiding in another room – I’m sure there’s still a faint ringing going on even now.

carlos
    Free Member

I’ve been there and done that too, albeit in the garage. Sounded like a cannon going off 8O. The neighbour came out shouting at his lad, who was in his garage as he thought he’d blown something up.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Give me a B….

Saccades
    Free Member

Those scwalbe performance line are shit, some rubber looking plastic that should be thrown in the bin.

CRC have some similar xc type racr3 for 25yoyos that are actual tyre compound and miles better.

rickon
    Free Member

If you’ve blown a tyre off the rim, the chances are you’ve damaged the bead – and it won’t seal properly, or at least struggle to seal.

If you’re going over 30 psi to seal a tyre, you need more lube on your rim 😉

nickdavies
    Free Member

Doing it indoors is fine – rookie error is sealant first. Use a decent removable core valve, seat the tyre then add fluid through the valve.

And yes, I made the same rookie error! You’d be surprised where you’ll still be finding sealant months later…

whatgoesup

Yep – the snakeskin Rocket Ron on the front is visibly a much better tyre – running a performance on the rear was just because it will get a lot of road use so would rather wear down a cheap tyre. Bad plan – will get a proper tyre instead for then rear.

I installed and initially inflated the tyre “dry” and then once all settled uses the removable core to inject the sealant. It was days later when it blew off!

timidwheeler

I’ve always fitted mine indoors. Quick tip. Sealant on lino is really slippy!

lustyd
    Free Member

“because it will get a lot of road use”

Lesson 2 – you need more bikes! N+1 😆

rickmeister

Following on from thegreatape …
    Give me an “a”

TiRed

Did this with a GP4 seasons on a kysirium rim a few months ago. Blew off at 110psi. Stans is hard to wash out.

whatgoesup

lustyd – perfect response, thank you – that could be spun int a H&S reason for a new bike I think.

dirkpitt74

Could have been worse…..

thegreatape
    Free Member

Give me a D…

danbo
    Free Member

You like the D?

eulach

So we have a B, an a and a D. Do we need another a and 2 eses?

ads678

Give me a G…

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6joOVjEemh4[/video]

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Lesson learned : don't experiment with tubeless indoors!’ is closed to new replies.