Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Lesser mortals would have had the book thrown at them…
  • ohnohesback
    Free Member
    wwaswas

as unfit to stand trial for mental health reasons and so could not receive a criminal conviction

sounds like a reasonable outcome?

You can argue that the criminal justice system doesn’t recognise mental health issues as often as it should but if someone is genuinely incapable of facing a trial then why put them through one?

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Of course she was mentally ill when she made those claims…

stumpy01

It does seem very convenient that she was mentally stable enough to work as an MP, but not mentally stable enough to face up to the consequences of diddling her expenses…

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Or else she was metally unstable while an MP and voting for Blair’s laws…

druidh
    Free Member

Is it not claimed that it was the expenses “scandal” that caused her mental instability?

headfirst
    Free Member

And this happens the day after a chap is chucked in jail for two years for scribbling on an over-priced piece of art

Woody
    Free Member

Hmmmm I would be rather more cynical and I’m struggling to feel any sympathy for someone who’s mental health issues appear to have been conveniently ‘triggered’ by being caught trousering £53k.

wwaswas

given the way that other MP’s and Lords have been sentenced in this it doesn’t seem unreasonable to assume that the judge was satisified with the medical evidence presented and acted accordingly.

I realise that ohnohesback’s persona on here doesn’t allow for the fact that sometimes the ‘right thing to do’ is not necesarily the one that the baying mob are advocating but it doesn’t mean that this woman hasn’t been treated fairly under the circumstances.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

headfirst – Member

And this happens the day after a chap is chucked in jail for two years for scribbling on an over-priced piece of art

That’s a bit stuckist if you ask me.

rogg
    Free Member

Does she have to pay anything back?

martinhutch

Ernest Guinness style ‘speedy recovery’ on the cards now, I imagine.

Having a potential jail term hanging over you can be a bit stressful, I’d agree. Can’t see this excuse working for anyone less high profile.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Compare and contrast her treatment with that dished out to anyone else caugt making a false benefit claim.

stumpy01

Headfirst – that was my first thought…

molgrips
    Free Member

It does seem very convenient that she was mentally stable enough to work as an MP, but not mentally stable enough to face up to the consequences of diddling her expenses

Er not really.

a) she could’ve been having a breakdown whilst being an mp, not at all uncommon for people to lose it whilst they are still at work

b) even if she wasn’t, if she is having trouble now it could still be overly cruel to sentence her as if she was perfectly fine.

Woody
    Free Member

martinhutch

That is exactly what sprung to mind when I read it – Remarkable recovery

wwaswas

more details about her situation here;

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2012/dec/14/margaret-moran-supervision-fiddling-expenses

(yes it;s the guardian but that just happened to be the first one google threw up at me)

[edit] from the Independent;

…Mr Justice Saunders make the ruling.

He said: “There will inevitably be feelings among some that Mrs Moran has ‘got away with it’.

How prescient of him 🙂

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

using a false instrument

headfirst
    Free Member

@Woppit: I had to Google ‘stuckist’…

birky
    Free Member

Is it not claimed that it was the expenses “scandal” that caused her mental instability?

She freaked at the prospect of being found out?

slowmart
    Free Member

From the Judges comments he suggested that if he had delivered an other verdict then the defendant would have won on appeal.

But why was the case not deferred until the defendant’s health had improved to such a point for a fair trial to take place.

Or was it a John Terry situation and the trial date was set for convenience?

Pull the whole corrupt rotten whore house down that is otherwise known as the Houses of Parliament.

stumpy01

molgrips, from everything I have seen about this it has always been stated that her mental health issues came about as a result of the furore over her expense fiddling. Nothing to do with her deteriorating health while working as an MP prior to all this coming to light.

Yes, maybe she really does now have mental health issues stopping her from standing trial, but I have very little sympathy for that, seeing as her mental state appears to have come about ad a direct consequence of her earlier actions. You make your bed…..you lie in it.

binners

I think that if, as she claims, she has serious mental health issues, then as a caring society we need to ensure that she’s in the right place to receive the treatment she clearly requires….

Edukator
    Free Member

The Crown Prosecution Service said it was still determining whether any action will be taken to recover the money fraudulently gained by Moran.

Don’t hold your breath.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Lesser mortals would have had the book thrown at them…’ is closed to new replies.