Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Less sticky-outy seatpost quick release than Hope?
  • Northwind

Doing some pointless drops to flats off the shopping precinct wall and discovered that my tyre buzzes the quick release before I run out of travel 😆

http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/images/custom/framespares/large_hopeqr.jpg

The seat tube is split at the back so the clamp has to stick out in that direction. I can machine a few mm off it but it’ll still be the first thing to touch. So… Anyone suggest a less sticky-out one? Has to be quick release as even though it’s my downhill bike, it gets equipped with a broomstick-long seatpost and ridden up hills.

scotroutes

It really, really doesn’t.

robhughes
    Free Member

^ Just turn it round NW

Northwind

Tried that, didn’t work. 224 has a pretty thick seat-tube and a short slot, which I guess combines into picky clamp location. Should have mentioned that 😳

mikewsmith
    Free Member

224 that would be a DH bike, just get a non QR one

Northwind

Has to be quick release as even though it’s my downhill bike, it gets equipped with a broomstick-long seatpost and ridden up hills.

😉 I don’t like pushing so I tend to ride it up, plus we do the endurance race at fort william every year which starts with a ride up from the carpark to the wallride.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

fair enough, fit a dropper?
    The other question is would it buzz the frame? Drop the coil off the shock and see what the full travel hits without the clamp on.

Northwind

It might do when fully bottomed- can get it within a bawhair of touching in the garage so I reckon it probably will once you add in a little frame flex, but it doesn’t happen til a lot further on in the travel than the qr thing.

Dropper post isn’t really long enough, not for my taste anyway, I like the seat right out of the way. Maybe one of those old Rase ones would have done the job but my gravity dropper won’t.

Speeder

If the split has to be at the back whatever clamp you have will have to have the bolt on the rear irrespective of who makes it. At best you’ll save 2-3mm if they’ve used a smaller diameter bolt and scrimped on material. I thought it was a standard that all 22series bikes tyres buzz the seat tube/qr if you run them in the low setting. If it bothers you that much fit a stiffer spring or raise your BB a notch. WIll compromise handling but might sort the rub.

Northwind

Speeder – Member

At best you’ll save 2-3mm if they’ve used a smaller diameter bolt and scrimped on material.

Which is a exactly what I’m after- that’s a big reduction, it’ll reduce the buzz almost to nothing. Though it wouldn’t need to be scrimpy or even a small bolt, the Hope is pretty bulky.

Northwind

So, in the absence of a smaller option, I assaulted my Hope with the milling machine, and now it’s a) much smaller and also probably b) about to snap. But a quick repeat of the highly technical Jump Down The Steps At The Shops test now has only the most gentle and loving of rubs. Happy now. But cheers all for the suggestions!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Less sticky-outy seatpost quick release than Hope?’ is closed to new replies.