Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • Less dull steel road bike…..
  • jerrys
    Free Member

Anybody got an opinion (this is stw after all !) between a kaff2 and an equilibrium disc?

Worth upgrading to or too similar?

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Anybody got an opinion (this is stw after all !) between a kaff2 and an equilibrium disc?

Worth upgrading to or too similar?

Good question, the things that are drawing me are carbon forks with tapered headset, a bit more tyre clearance and that Reynolds badge (725).

I think the Croix or Tour de Fer would be too similar.

Cheers, Steve

epicyclo

jerrys – Member
    Anybody got an opinion (this is stw after all !) between a kaff2 and an equilibrium disc?…

If you stick a carbon fork on a Pompino (the better looking brother of the Kaff) it’s a completely different ride.

If you’re on a budget, a decent fork makes the bike feel much better, and saves the expense of a new bike. On the other hand, who doesn’t love a new bike… 🙂

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Does PX quote frame and forks weight or just frame? Just wondering as a Medium Kaff is quoted at circa 2.2kg and a Medium Equilibrium disc with Carbon forks is quoted at 2.94kg.

deepreddave
    Free Member

Reads as frame not frameset but that’s just how I read it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I had a pompetamine which i think is v close to a Kaffenbak, and an Equilibrium disc, which was 100gm lighter. Don’t think they rode much different at all.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

I had a pompetamine which i think is v close to a Kaffenbak, and an Equilibrium disc, which was 100gm lighter. Don’t think they rode much different at all.

Was that the Reynolds one with Carbon forks? Might not be worth the change then…..

Cheers, Steve

cynic-al
    Free Member

It was the first year they did it, can’t remember the forks, they were carbon tho

RustyNissanPrairie

though carbon forks with 1/8th straight steerer and disc mounts seem hard to come by?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/lynskey-endurance-disc-carbon-road-fork-2016/rp-prod89254

straight 1 1/8″ alu steerer, carbon legs. Keep meaning to buy some for my Norco Search (steel version)

oxym0r0n

I have a mint Cotic X for sale in the classifieds if it fits…

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Thanks for the options given, oxym0r0n would be nice but something has come up in my other hobby and that sort of takes priority….
    Decided to try some fatter tyres, picked up some Spesh Trigger 700×33’s to give them a go, fitted a new BB the same time, just need to switch out the gear cable and we are ready to try it on the Gnarmac once more.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/RpCwZK]16177771_10154294022093225_1219705071484904626_o[/url] by Stephen Williams, on Flickr

Might try a double wrap on the tape as well…not sure yet…

Cheers, Steve

birdage

I don’t ride it as often as I’d like and have other more ‘fashionable’ bikes but I don’t plan on selling the Cross Check. Springy and infinitely versatile. Otherwise I’d go second hand and prioritise a nice steel frame if you’re looking value for money. Slightly leftfield but there’s a nice Singular Gryphon on ebay, works well shod for the roads.

birdage

Haha. Good choice………

wzzzz
    Free Member

I like my Plug very much, but someone that was designing placement of top and bottom bridge in rear triangle should be dragged naked on the snowy streets of most northern part of north…

Cut them off then. Chain stay and seat stay bridges serve no purpose beyond mudguard and kickstand mounting.

I have tested several frames….the exact same frames…with and without a chainstay bridge. Whether cast into the shell or not, there is no (zero) difference in stiffness in a typical race frame, whether it has a bridge or not. On the frames I have tested to date, deflection measurements under a given load have been essentially the same with or without a bridge in nearly every case. Again, I am talking about a road/race style frame with the typical 408 to 415mm rear end. There is a slight difference when dealing with a very long rear end, like a touring bike with 460mm or etc. stay lengths, but only if the bridge is located rearward of the bb shell quite a distance, but even then, the difference is small and would not be perceptible IMO.

http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f10/chainstay-bridge-27065.html

epicyclo

I was looking at a Genesis Croix de Fer today. Has anyone tried a 2″ tyre in there.

Looks like clearance to me if you used a tyre without lugs like a Schwalbe Big Apple.

chakaping
    Free Member

Some well-priced Equilibriums on Winstanleys at the mo

dtswede
    Free Member

If you are still looking for an amazing steel road frame I have a Ritchey Road Logic up for sale. It’s a 55cm.
    I’m not a roadie by any means but this frame really got me extending my commute and wanting to ride more and more. Such a pleasure to ride but I need to get it moved on as I’m scrabbling around to get my house deposit up together! The ride quality is superb and with the full carbon fork it’s super light.
    I can send pics etc if needed.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Fairlight Strael :

I rather like the look of that. Nice that they offer a short and tall geo too.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Me too – I’m thinking of getting a disc winter bike and am considering one of those, has a lot going for it.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Is quite tricky to find something that’ll feel quite racey, not tall and short, with discs, mounts for guards, and that doesn’t come in at custom prices. If it had nice routing for Di2 without the cable stops I’d be even more tempted.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Yep, right now I’m thinking that, Bowman Pilgrims (or maybe Layhams disc which is on the cards) or Kinesis 4S. Maybe a Mason.

Don’t have the cash right now, but hoping to get sorted pre-next winter.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Palace is nice but no guard mounts and reckon clearance might be an issue. Ideally would want something that has proper provision for guards. New 4S looks ok, but would need quite a long stem and is maybe just a little bit boring. Layhams is nice but silly money and currently not disc.

Shand Stooshie is tempting via the custom sizing route to make it longer and lower. But that’s more than 1600 quid which is proper custom money.

Mason’s looks ok but are far too short for what I want. Price isn’t too bad though for the Definition.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Yep did quick edit – meant Pilgrims, not Palace!

theflatboy
    Free Member

Agreed on 4S, agreed on Layhams but disc version on the way may well be the route I go for – see this: https://www.instagram.com/p/BQwGRovD9J7/

And agreed about Shand!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Pilgrim would fit the bill if I didn’t need about a 200mm stem to get the position I want 😕

theflatboy
    Free Member

See what you mean about money for Layhams, though – hadn’t realised it was that much!

mrblobby
    Free Member

If I was going to spend that sort of cash I think I’d just go custom. Something like this maybe…

http://road.cc/content/review/182711-saffron-frameworks-frame

Some alternatives here…

http://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/194720-15-best-steel-road-bikes-and-frames

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Less dull steel road bike…..’ is closed to new replies.