Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Lens for Canon EOS DSLR – Digital Rebel
  • wallace1492
    Free Member

Recently took the plunge and got a second hand DSLR, have a previous Canon lens and this worked well, however my wide angle Sigma lens does not work with it. So, looking for a reasonable priced alternative, has to be canon to work with the body.

I have a 70-210 and a 28-90 but looking for something wider. Any recomendations?

bamboo
    Free Member

Sigma 10-20?

wallace1492
    Free Member

Sigma does not work with a Canon DSLR. Something in the engineering of the lens is not compliant. Wish they did as I have 2 Sigma lenses that would have been perfect.

dashed
    Free Member

Loads of sigma lenses work with Canon DSLRs 🙄

clicky

Cougar

I’ll second the Sigma 10-20. Mate has one and it’s a nice bit of kit.

The specific Sigma you have might not work with your dSLR, for any number of reasons, but there’s plenty that do.

wallace1492
    Free Member

OK, stand corrected, the two OLDER Sigma lenses I have do not work with the body. PITA! Good to know as I like the Sigma, and will see if I can’t get a second hand one. Cheers

flyingmonkeycorps

I love my 10-20, though that’s on Nikon rather than Canon. Preeeeeety sure I’ve shot with someone who had one on an Eos though (I think a 60D).

bamboo
    Free Member

I’ve got a Sigma 10-20 for my Canon 600d – it is a great lens, although I think you really have to concentrate on your composition to get the best out of it.

footflaps

Canon have changed their lens mount whereas Nikon have kept the same physical mount for decades: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EF_lens_mount

johnellison
    Free Member

OK, stand corrected, the two OLDER Sigma lenses I have do not work with the body. PITA! Good to know as I like the Sigma, and will see if I can’t get a second hand one. Cheers

When you say it doesn’t work, do you mean that it won’t meter or won’t auto-focus?

If it won’t auto-focus it’s either because a) the body doesn’t have an in-built motor (which body is it, you didn’t say??); or b) you haven’t/can’t lock the aperture at it’s smallest (non-motorised lenses generally have a physical aperture lock whereby you stop it right down and lock it at that setting to enable the metering/focus mechanism to work).

If won’t meter and it has an inbuilt drive motor then Sigma may be able to chip it with the latest firmware for you at vast expense.

d45yth
    Free Member

Tokina 11-16 is a better lens than the Sigma 10-20. Especially where build quality is concerned.
    Is your camera a full-frame or cropped sensor? If full-frame you probably don’t need to go as wide as either of those though.

tacopowell
    Free Member

+1 Sigma 10-20, not used one in a few years but a pretty nice lense for the price.

bomberman
    Free Member

Tokina 11-16 is a better lens than the Sigma 10-20. Especially where build quality is concerned.
    Is your camera a full-frame or cropped sensor? If full-frame you probably don’t need to go as wide as either of those though.

Er…. what are you talking about?

He’s got a Rebel so it won’t be a full frame, not that either the Sigma or the Tokina would fit on a full frame anyway.

Tokina regarded sharper but not as wide (or as long). 1mm makes a big difference at the wide end.

Both built like brick sh*thouses!

Don’t think you’ll be unhappy with the build of the 10-20 at all, especially compared to the Canon 10-22 (i’ve had both and kept the sigma, the canon feels plasticky in comparison).

Tokina considered noisy and slower (not important on an ultrawide).
    Sigma fast and silent (HSM).
    Tokina has an f/2.8 max aperture.

Definitely wouldn’t say the sigma is poorly built though, it feels like a brick and all the tolerances are tight, at least on mine anyway.

If you like compressed landscapes and aren’t bothered about going “ultra wide” then the 24-105 f/4L is a nice lens, it’s got IS which is a good touch.

Or the 17-40L? Again not as wide but slightly better length and weather sealed. L lenses are pretty tough.

Cougar

For the price of the Tokina, you could buy the Sigma and get a 55-250 zoom with the change.

adam1330
    Free Member

I got a Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 lens which has dom=ne me proud over the last few years on my old 20D. One of these:
    Tamron 17-50

bomberman
    Free Member

I’ve got the Tamron 17-50 too and it’s a great lens

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Lens for Canon EOS DSLR – Digital Rebel’ is closed to new replies.