Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Lens advice for cricket photos
  • frankconway

I’m going to the day-night test match at Edgbaston on thursday & friday and am undecided about taking a camera – and if I do which lens would be best.

Play starts at 2pm on both days which is a consideration.

Canon EOS6d; 70-200mm f4 and/or 16-35mm f2.8; 50mm f1.4 will be in my bag.

Any advice?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Radical suggestion, I know, but how about just going and watching the cricket?

frankconway

Thanks CF – I hadn’t thought of that……. 😛

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Slightly jealous that you’re going, if I’m honest! First year in ages that I haven’t been to a Test!

That said, looking good for a work trip to Australia to coincide with the Ashes, which is nice. 🙂

frankconway

If this was top trumps I would say I’ve just been trumped – but not in the political sense…….

MartynS

Out of interest, have you done this before?
    I’d be surprised if someone without an accreditation bib and a full size slr with a long lens would be allowed to take photos from the stands.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

On full frame I’d go with a minimum of 400mm or 600 depending on where your sitting.
    This is what I use.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I use my 100-400 often with a 1.4 extender. On full frame.

cranberry
    Free Member

Full frame, 70-200mm is the best of the lenses you have.

You could always pop out to the shops and get a 100-400 and a Canon 7d Mk2.

footflaps

70-200 will still be pretty wide angle for a cricket match. 200mm isn’t long enough for the far side of a hockey pitch, standing right on the edge….

bigyinn
    Free Member

MartynS – Member

Out of interest, have you done this before?
    I’d be surprised if someone without an accreditation bib and a full size slr with a long lens would be allowed to take photos from the stands.
    200mm is not a long lens!

perchypanther
    Free Member

Lens advice for cricket photos

“Something that can cope with shutter speeds as quick as 5 or 6 seconds.

You don’t want to miss any of the fast paced action moments!”

MrSmith
    Free Member

I thought they didn’t allow ‘proffessional’ equipment in sports grounds?

Freester

Official wording as follows

13. By ECB ruling, the use of any cameras, mobile phones, computers and other electronic equipment, for the recording, transmission or communication of match details, statistics, images etc is not permitted other than with the proper accreditation.

So theoretically they could get a bit grumpy with you using mobile phones.

In my experience, if you’ve got a phone, point and shoot, or even a small SLR you’ll probably be OK. As soon as you get out the big dog SLR with a lens that looks like you’re in competition with the the professional accredited media you’ll get some trouble.

I’d leave the camera at home. If you really want to take some cricket photos head down to your local club – they would probably appreciate some half decent match day photos.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I thought they didn’t allow ‘proffessional’ equipment in sports grounds?

Not that I ever go to sporting events but I’ve been denied access to Brighton Pier several times because of the ‘professional nature’ of my equipment. It drives me nuts.

Me: so am I allowed to take photographs while I am here?
    Them: Yes but you can’t take ‘professional’ photographs, i.e. ones for commercial use.
    Me: OK, I can assure you that I am neither a ‘professional’ photographer nor will these images be used for commercial purposes.
    Them: OK, but that’s a professional camera so I don’t believe you
    Me: But how on earth do you know what the difference is between a pro and non pro camera, because I’m pretty keen on my photography and I don’t know the difference
    Them: It looks like one

There’s really no point in continuing the conversation after that point; you cannot reason with idiots.

johndoh
    Free Member

geetee – given the trouble your photography gets you into, have you considered selling all your kit and doing something less confrontational?

😉

perchypanther
    Free Member

I’ve been denied access to Brighton Pier several times because of the ‘professional nature’ of my equipment.

Next time, wear some garish shorts, a hawaiian shirt and a Stetson.

They will assume you are an uncouth American tourist.

If challenged, put on a fake accent and constantly address them as “boy” in the style of Foghorn Leghorn.

DezB
    Free Member

😆
    geetee’s candid and natural shots will be changing

DezB
    Free Member

BTW I use a 300 zoom for rugby matches and it’s nowhere near long enough for the full size pitch when stood right on the sideline. So photographing cicket, with a 200, sat in the crowd? Might as well use a phone.

geetee1972
    Free Member

geetee – given the trouble your photography gets you into, have you considered selling all your kit and doing something less confrontational?

I was considering becoming a full time men’s rights activists. 😀

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

I’ve been denied access to Brighton Pier several times because of the ‘professional nature’ of my equipment.

😯

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Just wear a hi-viz vest with PHOTO printed on it in big letters. About £7 from ebay.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Oh and Perchy… nice one. 😀

scuttler

Not specifically related to cricket but a great article on the rise of public private spaces patrolled by the hi-viz tactical vest brigade

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2017/jul/24/revealed-pseudo-public-space-pops-london-investigation-map

Plenty of non-accredited decent lenses at the Athletics (but don’t ask me what). Having said that the accredited photographers were carrying longer-than-long lenses so in your defence at a sporting event it’s easy to point at an accredited photographer and Mick Dundee style say “that’s not a lens, thaaats a lens”

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I personally wouldnt bother.

70-200mm f4 is your best option, but its not a great lense ie not zoom enough or fast enough.

+ unless you are sound at the ground level, zoomed pictures will look odd.

The fact you are asking makes me think you would take mediocre pics at best so best leaving behind and just getting drunk. (thats what people do at cricket matches isnt it?)

DezB
    Free Member

The fact you are asking makes me think you would take mediocre pics at best

Bit harsh 🙁

geetee1972
    Free Member

Not specifically related to cricket but a great article on the rise of public private spaces patrolled by the hi-viz tactical vest brigade

Not to derail the thread but this issue is real and will only get worse, i.e. lots of space you reasonably assume is public will turn out to be private.

So many of our civil liberties rest on the premise that we are in public spaces. The more those public spaces disappear, the more our civil liberties will be eroded. Sure the locales where this is likely to be a problem are the big cities, so some people may not care so much (and I can understand why), but the more relevant issue is that it’s in the big cities where the expression of our civil liberties are most important.

DrJ

Not that I ever go to sporting events but I’ve been denied access to Brighton Pier

Also been told I can’t take pictures on public land that include Brighton Pavilion. Nuts.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Also been told I can’t take pictures on public land that include Brighton Pavilion

Ah now interestingly, right after I got rudely turnned away from the pier, I wandered into the Pavillion Gardens and was approached also by the high viz wearing crowd. But that exchange was cordial and very polite and ended up with them not having any problem with me photographing in there (and this was with a studio light and my ‘very pro looking’ camera).

The difference was that they were happy to accept my explanation that the photogrpahs were not for commercial use as being true.

stevied
    Free Member

Has anyone suggested a…..

angle lense yet?

DrJ

It’s a real mixed bag. At the National Theatre they are on you as soon as you take out your camera, but you can pick up a permit at the box office. At the Barbican you’re supposed to have a permit but it’s de facto impossible to get one, however the hi viz folk turn a blind eye.

jairaj

As others have said 200mm is not going to be long enough if you want to capture a player in action and fill the frame.

Maybe look into using one of the wider lenses and getting creative with the photos e.g. maybe some long exposure shots?

The fact you are asking makes me think you would take mediocre pics at best so best leaving behind

People still need to learn and practice to get better. They can’t just download the ability to great photos instantly like in the Matrix.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

People still need to learn and practice to get better. They can’t just download the ability to great photos instantly like in the Matrix.

And this is my point why pay to go to watch good cricket and spend the game behind a lense when you can go to the local game on a Sunday and work out what will work/when won’t work.

Someone at our local running club used us very amateur runners and cyclist to improve, he’s now invited to shoot pro’s!

MrSmith
    Free Member

If I was sat at an angle to the wicket and looking slightly across the next person at the action I would be right pissed if somebody kept waving a long lens in front of me.

I have shot on Brighton pier but paid a location fee (which included a property release) it’s privately owned and not public space.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Lens advice for cricket photos’ is closed to new replies.