LEJOG

Home Forum Bike Forum LEJOG

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • LEJOG
  • danielgroves

Currently in the process of firming up dates, etc, with a mate for riding LEJOG this coming summer.

I have an On One Inbred 29er Hardtail, which I would like some advice for in terms of getting it ready for touring. First time doing anything like it , so the cheaper the better. I opted for the horizontal dropout frame, with a mech hanger.

Current spec:
    32:16 singelspeed drivetrain
    XT triple cranks
    X-Lite 470 Carbon Fork
    Shimano Deore brakes, 160mm rotors at both ends
    Arch EX rims laced to Pro2 Evo’s.
    760mm Nukeproof Warhead bars.

I guess thats probably the important stuff.

I’ve done plenty of backpacking before, so I’m perfectly happy in terms of knowing what kit to take for the trip; what I would appreciate advice for is what bike specific kit I should take. We don’t intend on taking the traditional route. We’ll be going through the Outer Hebridean islands in Scotland.

What I have been thinking so far is:
    A cheapish rear pannier rack.
    Slicks
    Getting some cheap cranks to nab the chainrings off, and sticking the 10-speed cassette/chain/mech on from the full-suss. I’ve got a triple front mech + shifter floating around somewhere.

What spares, on top of the normal stuff, should I be thinking about carrying? Spare spokes? Chain?

What else should I do?

Picture, because who doesn’t like them.

Premier Icon PMK2060
    Subscriber

I would recommend bar ends at the very least for comfort.

mattsccm

Pop over to the CTC forum. A whole section there.

danielgroves

Pop over to the CTC forum. A whole section there.

Ah, good stuff. Cheers.

Andy_K

Buy a cheap rack by all means, but defo don’t use the bolts that come with it! Get some good quality stainless ones, as 1000 miles is more than enough for a bit of metal fatigue IME, especially if you are carrying a camping load rather than a B&B one.

I took normal big day out spares. Spare chain links rather than a chain. a couple of weeks riding on road isn’t that stressful on bits, and for the most part you’re never that far from civilization. My total spares consumption was one tube, some gaffa tape and some lube.

Premier Icon martymac
    Subscriber

i havent done any more than 2 consecutive days touring, and i never suffered any mechanicals, but i would advise on finalising your setup at least a month before you go, you dont want to be breaking in new shoes, saddle, grips etc on a 100 mile day.

thebrowndog

IMO you don’t really need a heap more for a two week tour than you do for a weekender – two tubes, decent pump and multi-tool. I also take a few spare bolts to cover likely snappages, like the rack bolts and a chain connector link.

Get some semi-slick tyres that have some tread on the edges. Ive got Conti Double Fighters on my 26 inch tourer – dunno if they come in 29’s. These will roll nicely on the road but give you some traction when you get on gravel or dirt tracks.

Panniers? Handlebar bag?

grim168

Spare brake pads?

Premier Icon midlifecrashes
    Subscriber

I nearly had a go at it this summer, family illness intervened. In my planning I found the Sustrans guide handy but a bit out of date, and these guys seemed to have a great route sorted.

http://end2endbike.wordpress.com/author/end2endbike/#

danielgroves

Good information, thanks everybody.

Sorry, a bit of delay in getting back to this as my full-suss was nicked at the start of the week 🙁

Premier Icon shortcut
    Subscriber

End to end is great fun to do. I would recommend buying or borrowing a touring bike rather than converting a mountain bike.

Gears and a range of positions are certainly an excellent idea. B&B touring is how I did it and this did cut the weight significantly.

sangobegger

Did it on a full suss cannondale lefty last year and kept up with the lads on racers no probs, and had a way easier time on rough roads. Fitted 1.3 wide slicks, and halfway through a full length rear gear outer as the crap weather caused the setup to seize every day (known fault on Jekylls). However because of the poor weather I had to spend about an hour every day cleaning and prepping the bikes (3) purely because of the amount of water and rubbish getting into cables and putting stuff out of synch.
    We took no spares beyond cables and chain links. Pretty pointless in the UK anyway, with a bike shop on every corner, or at least a way of getting there quick via public transport.
    The worst bit of road if you come up via Abingdon services was a 10 mile section (southside)that was overtopped with what felt like boulders. The guys on racers had a helluva time on it.
    Its bloody hard work but great crack though. Enjoy!!!

danielgroves

I would recommend buying or borrowing a touring bike rather than converting a mountain bike.

The only person I know with a touring bike is the person I’m doing it with unfortunately. Buying one is way out of budget too.

B&B touring is how I did it and this did cut the weight significantly.

Considered the B&B approach, neither of can really afford it being students.

We’re keen on coming up with a route that allows us to make diversion through the Outer Hebrides with an island hopper pass. Looking into the logistics and possibility of doing that now, given we’ll be camping anyway. Of course buying stuff is a little harder out there, so we’ll have to carry more supplies while over there.

Edric 64

I`M hoping to do Lejog but with Lizard point ,Lowestoft Ardnamurchan ,Cape Wrath and Dunnet Head thrown in should keep me busy for the best part of 3 weeks .I am intending to use Hostels ,bothies and a bivvy bag .I dont want to pre book anything.

Premier Icon kcal
    Subscriber

might even find a frame bag useful, or at least a little frame spider bag — for handy stuff. 32:16 could be quite spinny!

not sure about spare spokes TBH, but could tape a couple to frame, can’t go wrong?

danielgroves

32:16 could be quite spinny!

Heh, thats why I was going to stick the gearing on from the full-suss, with some triple rings up front. Going to have to buy a whole new drivetrain now just for this, after the meta got stolen :/

Premier Icon irc
    Subscriber

For the Hebrides don’t miss the Howmore and Bernaray hostels. £12 per night or camp outside for £8 per night. Basic hostels in great locations. Like hostelling was 30 or 40 years ago.

http://www.gatliff.org.uk/

Premier Icon kcal
    Subscriber

ah, sorry didn’t read that first time through. SS would be do-able though, although I guess the range of gradients would mean finding a good ratio almost impossible.

panniers – especially for a road trip – would make most sense, I guess you can strap a big Ortlieb dry bag on top as well with bungees. That or some sort of Alpkit / Wolf Outdoor seat bag.

Revelate stuff is good quality but pricey. backcountrybiking.co.uk are UK agents.

Look at wildcatgear.co.uk as well.

I did it with 3 mates last June/July. We also did our own route (about 12 percent off road, avoided A-roads as much as poss, 55,000+ ft of total ascent and 1070 miles.

I used a Genesis Croix de fer with Ortlieb Panniers.

Rack – get a disc specific one, I got a – MPart Ridge Pannier Rack – For Disc Brakes, alarmingly bolts rattled loose after about 600 miles, perhaps get better bolts or frequently check them/take spares. I’d suggest getting a Topeak MTX disc rack simply cos Vin Cox used one of these riding around the world, it is a tad heavier than the other options mind. Check there’s nothing remotely sharp in contact with your panniers, my rack rubbed holes in the panniers.
    Don’t get a TorTec Ultralite Rear Rack, despite what people say these don’t work well with discs.

Tyres Tubes – All 4 of us didn’t get punctures, we used slick 32mm Continental Gatorskins, even off road these were fine, you can give them a right beating.
    I only took one spare tube.

Gears – With set up you have with 10 speed I’d get a 12-36 cassette, a wide range really helps the knees epsecially with loads on the hills.

By a long chain that’ll take powerlinks such as a KMC or Sram one. Once chain is fitted, keep the spare bit you don’t need (hence why buying a long one is good) Buy an additional powerlink and bring that with the spare bit with you. Don’t bother taking another whole chain, if it breaks you only need a few links and the powerlink.

Bike gear I took – chain tool, allen keys, spoke key for adjusting, v. small cloth for cleaning between brake pads, small bottle of chain lube, little philips screw driver, couple of patches and tube glue, small amount of electrical tape.

ALso took a cheap lock and one of the the Kryptonite flex cables.

Don’t forget to factor in weight and space for food and drink, there were days in Scotland and Northumberland where we had to take 3 litres of drink and a lot of snacks.

Also, don’t forget the saddle cream, Chapeau is good and savlon etc!

Out of interest, are you specifically wanting to do it on a mountain bike?

MrSparkle

A mate did LeJog on a rigid SS inbred a couple of years ago. Think he was on 36:16

Anyone into trying to pack light has this guy as serious competition! http://ultralightcycling.blogspot.co.uk/

Lest

A good sense of humour required for the Devon/cormwall leg needs to be packed for sure as it piddled down solid for me the first 3 days which went great with the relentless up and downs that you get over there.

Going from experience, a set of jubilee clips and insulation tape as my cheapish rack broke one of its welds so I just wrapped loads of tape round the joint (granted it was in a good place to do this)and added the clip over the top which did the rest of the trip no probs.

Altura dryline 56 panniers (one for the tent etc, one for the clothes) and Dryline Barbag for easy access to the daytime stuff (lunch/phone/map)
    Great kit that I really regret selling straight after the trip.

Heartily recomend the Hebrides route, albeit I did more inner islands.

Lest

ergon grips

Best buy of the trip for sure! really comfy

Lest

TBH I wouldn’t even try it on a SS as you really are going to need lost of gears, especially in devon with all that weight on board and the amount of days spent doing this.

SS would be slow. Dartmoor day was over 7000ft of climbing, someone said that was the same as Alpe d’Huez twice.

Lest

Weird thing was I didnt believe the Devon warnings as I wondered how you can compare a hill (south) with a mountain pass (north) but at least with the north, you tend to spend the morning going up and the afternoon descending whereas Devon its several hundred (seemed like it!!!) climbs in the morning followed by the same in the afternoon!!!

Bike-wise though I found my full-rigid old stumpjumper with a new set of cables and a new chain did the job fine with a set of nice big slicks and full mud-guards (didnt look pretty but hey) and I figured it was less likely to break with full unsupported camping kit etc on board.

Probaly more luck TBH but all I had to do (aside the rack repair) was oil the chain which was great because the only thing I wanted to do at the end of each day was absolutely sod all!!!

danielgroves

I’m not too worried about the Devon hills, I know them well and ride them regularly living in Plymouth. But yes, you can feel like you’ve done hundreds on a morning down this way.

sparking chains — brilliant info. Thanks! I’ve got a couple of Kryptonite D-Locks, so one of us is going to take the big-bugger and the other will carry two cables. Plenty to lock up both bikes hopefully.

Also, don’t forget the saddle cream, Chapeau is good and savlon etc!

Hadn’t even thought of that, added to the list.

For the Hebrides don’t miss the Howmore and Bernaray hostels. £12 per night or camp outside for £8 per night.

Nice one, thanks. Going to wild camp through Scotland as much as possible, at that price if those are near by when we need to stop it seems like a pretty good bet though.

Out of interest, are you specifically wanting to do it on a mountain bike?

Can’t afford a dedicated bike, and I only have mountain bikes, so yes.

TBH I wouldn’t even try it on a SS as you really are going to need lost of gears, especially in devon with all that weight on board and the amount of days spent doing this.

Going to get a 3*10 running on the Inbred for it.

Bike-wise though I found my full-rigid old stumpjumper with a new set of cables and a new chain did the job fine with a set of nice big slicks and full mud-guards (didnt look pretty but hey) and I figured it was less likely to break with full unsupported camping kit etc on board.

Excellent, in that case I would imagine I’d be fine on the inbred. Will defiantly get some slicks or semi-slicks sorted.

Andy_K

Oh yes, don’t skimp on the arse care! And make sure your paddded shorts aren’t all the same (seams in the same place)

No worries mate, I’m sure it’ll be fun. I used Giordana lycra roady shorts, no baggies but yeah make sure you get a comfy set up esp if you are wild camping and can’t shower everyday, I met a couple of people on route really moaning about issues down there, could end up wrecking the ride. Ahem, nice!

Lest

One of the main prorities at the end of each day was to at least rinse one of the 2 pairs of shorts (drying on the panier rack during the next day) that I had and that was enough to completely avoid any chafing as I figured it’s the sweat-salt that does the damage. Simply kicking them around in the shower-tray at the campsite did the job.

hosepipe

a chap called nick here did it on a singlespeed, with knobblies!

Buachaille Etive Mòr

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘LEJOG’ is closed to new replies.