• This topic has 1,765 replies, 225 voices, and was last updated 3 days ago by Rich_s.
Viewing 40 posts - 881 through 920 (of 1,766 total)
  • Lego WANT of the Day
  • scuttler

bits to build the Death Star II

Don’t be shy putting up pics when you start on the build.

nixie

I’m tempted by the Porsche for the collectors pack. Normally I’d wait till they price dropped

jimmy

Hi – I was going to start a new thread but spotted this. My 5yo daughter has gone Ninjago mad and I’m trying to get hold of some lego characters. She has 15 or so, but collecting them seems to be a case of monthly magazines or buying expensive sets which include 1 or 2 characters (I guess that’s Lego’s business model).

So, does anyone have any for sale or know a good source? Ebay seems to be rife with “lego-compatible” stuff but otherwise thin on the ground.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Daffy

That Lego Porsche suffers from the same thing that afflicted the DB5 and the Mustang in that it fails to capture the changes in the angles of the front wings which make the cars what they are to look at. They should fall slightly from the windscreen to the bumper and flare slightly at the wheel. Without this, they always look really blocky and slab sided/bonneted.

Currently in the middle of Mortesv’s Nebulon B MOC. What a piece of sh1te it is. There are so many illegal (is that the right term?) connections between the parts that it’s either incredibly fragile or impossible to put together, placing technic connection under terrible strain/bending. Coupled with the fact that the instructions are put together by a group of people after the fact and it’s all ass-about-face, requiring you to go back hundreds of steps to do/undo something in order to progress. I’ve given up now, I’m just going my own way with it as I’ve used so many of the parts I carefully bricklinked, just to build a better model, that there’s no way I can complete it with what I have left. $50 for those instructions and for all the good they’ve done, I might as well have bought some digital Andrex.

weeksy

Hi – I was going to start a new thread but spotted this. My 5yo daughter has gone Ninjago mad and I’m trying to get hold of some lego characters. She has 15 or so, but collecting them seems to be a case of monthly magazines or buying expensive sets which include 1 or 2 characters (I guess that’s Lego’s business model).

So, does anyone have any for sale or know a good source? Ebay seems to be rife with “lego-compatible” stuff but otherwise thin on the ground.

I’m sure we can find 1 or 20. I’ll get my lad to have a look mate. I don’t know how many Ninjago guys we have but I’d bet it’s more than 10

Rich_s

What is the best method for buying sets, building them and then swapping/selling them on? Do you keep the bags, completely disassemble and re-bag? What about stickers?

Yes. Or at least that’s what we’ve done twice on here. Leave the stickers on, the new owner will figure it out. Use the guide in the back of the manual to figure out any shortages. Repack in the bags if you can, or just split by colour into ziplock bags.

spacemonkey

… i want it but we have the creator expert corner garage to build still

Yes, I like the look of Assembly Square (and I think the bookshop) but having them in isolation probably isn’t going to do it for me. Creating a town would be cool, or at least a street, but paying £180 for each of those then sourcing the older models for £300-400 each means spending upwards of £1000 for some fancy buildings just to start with. More likely going to need nearer £2000 to make it interesting. Hmm.

stumpyjon

I’m trying to get hold of some Lego characters

Fill yer boots

Mini figures are very collectible, I’ve seen brand new sets on Ebay for half their RRP with the figures removed.

Don’t be shy putting up pics when you start on the build.

It’s just the UCS one, I didn’t buy it when it was in the shops, built the Lambda shuttle and AT ST that way as well. Must build the track for my Conveyex transport, had the train and carriages built for over a year.

Conveyex

jimdubleyou

Not sure if it’s been mentioned above, but the Ghostbusters Ecto1 is in Costco for £150 if anybody fancies a 3D jigsaw puzzle for lockdown.

zilog6128

Creating a town would be cool, or at least a street, but paying £180 for each of those then sourcing the older models for £300-400 each means spending upwards of £1000 for some fancy buildings just to start with. More likely going to need nearer £2000 to make it interesting. Hmm.

I have a mate who’s just done that, think he has all now except the Greengrocer & fire station (which go for batshit money, but apparently he is keeping an eye on those too!) The trouble with that approach is, loads of people do it, and all their towns will end up looking the same (just with buildings in different places!) I’ve seen a few people who have put together their own original buildings in the modular style, way more work obviously but much cooler too!

Currently in the middle of Mortesv’s Nebulon B MOC. What a piece of sh1te it is. There are so many illegal (is that the right term?) connections between the parts that it’s either incredibly fragile or impossible to put together

one of the most enjoyable aspects of Lego for me is the build, and seeing the new & ingenious techniques the pro-designers use to make the models both aesthetic and incredibly sturdy. Some amateur builders might be able to replicate this to some extent, but I bet most (including me!) would just build stuff that looks good. Just one more reason I’m happy to pay for proper Lego sets tbh!

jimmy

@weeksy @stumpyjon thanks. Good site, that!

Cougar

Do you keep the bags, completely disassemble and re-bag? What about stickers?

The bags aren’t resealable once opened so I just stuffed them loose in the box. When I disassembled the Saturn V for transport I put each stage in a separate ziploc bag, but the model is fairly unique in that regard. Sorting it back out to the brick is surely more trouble than it’s worth unless you’re going to un-build it working backwards through the instructions.

Stickers, if I were buying with the intention of reselling then I wouldn’t apply them in the first place. Is that still a thing even?

grahamt1980

Spacemonkey – totally agree. We bought a few on the ones we wanted. Bookshop, assembly square and i managed to get the parisian restaurant on ebay. Will be stuffed if they bring out another one we really like as haven’t got space for it

Daffy

Sorting it back out to the brick is surely more trouble than it’s worth unless you’re going to un-build it working backwards through the instructions.

that’s what I do with mine, but into numbered ziplock bags, not into the original bags. I still have them, but as you say, they’re not reusable. Lego, should really catch on here, but I guess the SH market cuts into their profit.

stumpyjon

Think they are planning to go to paper bags. Personally I dont even keep the boxes, but then I don’t sell on.

spacemonkey

PSA: the 42125 Ferrari 488 GTE is now £121 at John Lewis (and Amazon if you must, just remember to Smile). RRP £170.

I’ve ordered mine monkey jnr’s and will drop the suspension a la https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bgz_zE9LjE.

Tallpaul

The Ferrari kit is incredibly similar to the 42096 Porsche 911 RSR, albeit red and with more stickers…

Cougar

Isn’t it time Lego moved away from stickers? They can’t be that much cheaper than directly printed bricks, surely.

Pretty much all my old Lego was printed, the last stickers I remember were on the Rolls Royce Silver Ghost and that was the mid-1970s. That one was a particularly stupid design choice too, a sticker spanned two bricks. Using them today feels like a backwards step.

zilog6128

@cougar yep I agree although I think the stickers ARE considerably cheaper. There’s always a lot of excitement in the Lego nerd community when an interesting new print appears 😀 I was particularly gutted when the Ghostbusters fire station which cost me over £250 came with a sticker for the GB sign! (I do have the means of printing my own bricks tho so really should get around to sorting that out!)
    They stopped using “spanners” years ago though which was a good move at least!

hp_source

Agreed – hp_source(jr) has been working his way through a few of the City and easier Technics sets for the last year or two. The only printed ones seem to be those that are available in multiple sets… generic “computer” slope sided blocks etc.

Cougar

They were exactly what I was thinking of, from the classic Space series. That and the LL928 etc registration plate bricks.

zilog6128

Being able to re-use generic prints across many sets obviously helps with economies of scale. It’s normally designs specific to one set that are stickers… something like a race car with loads of decals would probably cost 10x the price if all the designs were pad printed!

Cougar

Ah. Yeah, that makes sense. A “Rolls-Royce” brick isn’t going to be making an appearance in a Harley Davidson set.

tomhoward

This needs to happen

Could do with being a bit bigger.

scuttler

Cougar

My name is Cougar and I approve of this post.

Drac

Ha! Yeah the same joke made on the page itself, very good.

tomhoward

I appreciate there is no way you’ll believe me, but I genuinely didn’t scroll past the pics before making the joke, I also expect anyone interested in the project to have instantly thought the same as I did…

cyclistm
    Free Member

The Ferrari has gone back up at John Lewis. But is available for the same price at smyth toys with some other good deals.

Drac

@tomhoward it was mine too but I then read the info so didn’t use it.

FB-ATB

Shark looks more realistic than the one in the film! Brodie minifig looks more like Harry Potter

Rich_s

I made the same joke on here a month ago. And Cougar liked it then too.

Honestly, I feel violated.

tomhoward

Honestly, I feel violated.

*Lights cigarette

Rich_s

*farts and rolls over

whatgoesup

The kids (8 yr old twins) have an assignment to research and write a newspaper report on the moon landing. Some of the best YouTube videos on this have been an early 1960s video of what they were planning to do (I.e. in the Future tense and a bit vague but nicely explained) and demos of the Lego set. S Perfect excuse to buy the Lego Saturn V which is back in production. Family build fun! It’ll arrive later in the week and they’re both properly exited about it.
    (I’ve promised to only build it together between the three of us).

tomhoward

You’ll need the lunar lander as well, Shirley? To give a more detailed learning experience, obvs…

richmars

I’ve just finished the Saturn 5 and am really impressed with it. Currently sitting on my WFH desk, but I think I’ll clear out my CD collection and put in an Ikea Billy bookcase, the narrow one. I think it will fit. Not sure if my wife will approve.

edd

Stickers, if I were buying with the intention of reselling then I wouldn’t apply them in the first place. Is that still a thing even?

I do this. The fun for me is in the build. I’ve never really liked stickers on Lego and I’m not a collector (ie I plan to sell sets after I’ve built them). If I want a set I buy it when I can get a decent discount and build it without applying stickers. Then I wait for a couple of years after the set has gone out of production and sell disassembled with box, instructions and unused stickers on eBay. Done it twice so far, 42009 and 42043 and made a significant profit. Next up is 42056 that I haven’t built yet, but is already selling for way more than I paid on eBay.

stumpyjon

Ultimate Lego set ever, a Lego injection moulding machine.
    machine

Viewing 40 posts - 881 through 920 (of 1,766 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.