Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Lego for a 5 yo?
  • olddog

Useless uncle seeks needs help buying for niece…

Is 5 too young – most of the kits say 3-up but suitable for 7+

If I was to go Lego, any suggestions for kits that would work age-wise – say up to something like £40

Anything similar to Lego I could consider – primarily fun but a bit educational.

Jamie
    Free Member

Lego Juniors is what you want.

£30 gets you:

…or £25 gets you:

Full range available here: http://www.lego.com/en-gb/juniors/products

Source – A slightly less useless uncle 😉

iain1775
    Free Member

5 should be fine, small parts warning obviously
    My 4 year old daughter loves lego, everything from the friends and Disney sets (frowned upon by myself but got her in to it so I can forgive) to the the Architecture range (she has assisted me with a couple of the larger Architecture models)
    Watching her build it, following the instructions is a pleasure. Watching her then destroy it whilst turning to me and saying ‘it’s ok Daddy that’s what it’s for now we can make something from our imagination’ makes my heart melt
    Rocket cars are currently her favourite things to build 🙂

antigee

as above the 3+ is because of small parts that are easily swallowed (don’t google that) think the 7+ bit refers to ability to follow instructions and be capable of doing twiddly stuff – but 5 is fine – simple stuff not the star wars stuff

olddog

Thanks – looks like I’m good with Lego then as long as it’s something sensible – Mrs OD has already told me to step away from the super star destroyer…

hjghg5
    Free Member

My 5 year old nephew loves the stuff and has no problems with the easier sets. He is on his second year of having a lego advent calendar and went to the Lego discovery Centre for his birthday 😀

puppypower
    Free Member

My 5yo loves the lego city and lego star wars ranges.

He wants the new lego arctic sets for Xmas. They are new to the lego city range.

Jamie
    Free Member

So in summary, just get him this:

Cougar

How good is he with Lego? Pretty sure I was doing Lego Technic at that age or not much older. I had the earliest sets (tractor and fork lift) pretty soon after they were released.

Cougar

Wikipedia:

The more advanced Lego Technic was launched in 1977.

So, I’d have been 5 or 6 when I started on Technic.

Jamie
    Free Member

How good is he with Lego? Pretty sure I was doing Lego Technic at that age or not much older. I had the earliest sets (tractor and fork lift) pretty soon after they were released.

Lego Technic at 5 years old?

Check out the big brain on Brad.

olddog

She is pretty bright (judging by her school reports and stuff) but hasn’t really done much in the way of Lego before as far as I know. She’s top of her class in maths and that sort of thing so I think she would enjoy the challenge of Lego – she may actually just be six now thinking about it.

So I don’t think technic first up – but something that will provide some challenge will be good.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Just get them a load of blocks and let them use their imagination.

CountZero

5 should be fine, small parts warning obviously

More for the adults walking around with no shoes on, rather than for the child… 😉

garage-dweller

Five is fine. Eldest started at 4th birthday iirc. Youngest at just over 2 with all his big brother’s bricks and favourite aeroplane which wasn’t entirely harmonious.

In toys r us the other day and they had a big box of 1000 bits of lego for £30 BUT if he’s new to lego a themed pack with a few different individual models within it would be a good start. The City range is quite nice imo.

GrahamS

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz7wEyioQPo[/video]

aracer
    Free Member

My 5yo had a castle which is rated 7-12 last Xmas when he was 4. Needed a bit of help at the time, but can do it by himself now. She’ll be fine with most normal stuff (ie not Technic or complex Star Wars), no need to go for the really simple kits.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I bought my friends 5 year old a lego city antarctic explorer set for Christmas, says 6 years on the box but he’s made similar with a little help before so I reckon he’ll be fine. Can’t see how you can go wrong with that, it’s got a helicopter, skidoo, huskies, snow cat, polar bear and a radar base

steve-g
    Free Member

I bought my daughter some lego for her 5th birthday, it was awful. She kept wanting to play with it, look at the instructions and try to build it. I had to wait for her to go to bed before I got it to myself

beefheart
    Free Member

This should be suitable.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Daughter 1 has been playing with Lego Friends since she was 5, the only issue I can think of is if there is any toddlers about. Even at that Son 1 is 23 months just now and has never been bothered by it.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Mini-DBW #000001 loves Lego. He was 5 in October but got his first small set nearly 2 years ago. Santa may be bringing him some Star Wars stuff to build 😀 He’s got loads of it now but as mentioned above, sometimes its ace to just build random stuff. When we were on holiday during the summer, the house we stayed in had a big box of old 80s/90s Lego – the sort of stuff I played with as a kid and our imaginations went mad.

Mini-DBW #000002 is nearly 2 and to be fair, he loves proper Lego too. Doesn’t have a clue what to do with it – just decapitates every Lego man he can find but he doesn’t attempt to eat it (much) etc.

I’m still hoping the wife has is going to surprise me with a Millenium Falcon in 10 days time. Please Santa, I’ve been a good boy this year.
    Lots of love,
    Dave, aged 34

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Lego for a 5 yo?’ is closed to new replies.