Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)
  • Legit ways to supplement main income
  • sadexpunk

thought about being a retained firefighter? (if you live within 5 mins of a station that does it.) some of the retained in our brigade can earn a good few thousand per annum if they also do the co-responder ‘propping up the ambulance service’ thing……

P-Jay
    Free Member

lunge – Member
    What about some network/pyramid marketing? Forever Living, that kind of thing? I know some people who’ve made serious money from that.

You’ve got to ask yourself are you willing to “monetise your friendships”?

I have a 1 strike rule for Juiceplus, Herbalife, Utilities Warehouse and all the other snake oil sellers. A single ad on social media and they’re gone. A face to face gets a verbal warning and if I have the info to hand a stern lecture that their product is bullshit and they’re trying to rip off their friends.

I’ve been suckered into some shady pyramid stuff in the past, only for a few moments before I told them to foxtrot. You cannot make any money selling it, you cannot make any money by recruiting others to sell it, you make money recruiting the people who recruit others to sell it – if you’re prepared to rip off your friends, and their friends, friends then give it a go – if you can convince yourself to believe the marketing BS, in 2-3 years you could start making some money, 95% of people will get taken for a ride and give up though.

daniel_owen_uk
    Free Member

Properly agressive matched betting program could get close to that figure in 12 months.

Might have to utilise some family members details, if you lose too many accounts though.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    lunge

You’ve got to ask yourself are you willing to “monetise your friendships”?

I have a 1 strike rule for Juiceplus, Herbalife, Utilities Warehouse and all the other snake oil sellers. A single ad on social media and they’re gone. A face to face gets a verbal warning and if I have the info to hand a stern lecture that their product is bullshit and they’re trying to rip off their friends.

I’ve been suckered into some shady pyramid stuff in the past, only for a few moments before I told them to foxtrot. You cannot make any money selling it, you cannot make any money by recruiting others to sell it, you make money recruiting the people who recruit others to sell it – if you’re prepared to rip off your friends, and their friends, friends then give it a go – if you can convince yourself to believe the marketing BS, in 2-3 years you could start making some money, 95% of people will get taken for a ride and give up though.

You’re not far wrong, from what I understand it’s basically sales, but selling a lifestyle that people want to have so they ask “how did you get that?” and you can respond “well, let me explain…”.
    Said friends have indeed alienated a large amount of their friends, a fair payoff for what they have in their eyes.
    However, back to the OP, as above, you can earn that £10k you need, but you may find yourself with less friends than you had at the start.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I offered my body to science, time and time again. 😆

P-Jay
    Free Member

You’re not far wrong, from what I understand it’s basically sales, but selling a lifestyle that people want to have so they ask “how did you get that?” and you can respond “well, let me explain…”.
    Said friends have indeed alienated a large amount of their friends, a fair payoff for what they have in their eyes.

Yep, it’s just as bad in the B2B market – I’ve given up Networking, it’s always the same people “doing the circuit” they can double your turnover in 12 months, drive 1000 sales leads a day to you, save you a fortune on this or that.

The non-business ones take the Mick though, social media is so prevalent these days. With some of them you can see it coming – one of the girls from school (she was a girl in school, she’s 40 now) she’d a Travel Agent by day I think, always kept trim and fit and likes a lot of make-up, posts the usual “kids doing stuff” things and then suddenly it’s all Gym selfies with a bit of cleavage, twice a day, “all because of JuicePlus!!!” is it ****. It’s all because you eat well and go to the Gym every single day – to a lot of our school mates looking at their middle aged belly, post 3 kids and a divorce arse or “twenty years staring at a monitor” double chin she’s got an enviable body – but she didn’t get it by scoffing haribo capsules for breakfast – no she’s going to use all her hardwork and quite a lot of BS to make you pay for her next holiday.

white101

P-Jay you have just nailed all those instagram grifters, heard similar tales about a gym yummy mummy who used to post a pic of herself when she was 17 and ‘frumpy’ (some might say) and now its a constant stream of pics from gym (member for last 20 years) when she looks 25 but is hitting 40 and credits everything to some supplement or other.

finephilly
    Free Member

uber or some kind of courier work is your best option at those times. the hourly rate is low, though. How about promotional work or working at gigs. They tend to be more performance based. For that money, at those times, it would have to be a sales-type job unless you have specific skills like fixing computers or coding…

bearnecessities

I personally welcome a Jamie v Percival post-a-thon; some giggles rather than

aracer – Member

<Changes thread>

km79
    Free Member

Do you have access to a small plot of land/garden and live in a sunny area? Look up growing microgreens and selling direct to restaurants, sandwich shops etc.

allthepies
    Free Member

As above, matched betting. Income free of tax too.

You won’t get £10k but should get a couple I would think.

edhornby

Do you need this ten grand once or on a repetitive basis? I’m assuming you’ve been through your Household budget and cut all extraneous spend, also eBay everything that is lying about

Bar work has the added bonus of not going out getting pissed on a weekend hence saving more

Think of it this way, it’s 200quid a weekend, every weekend from now to September 2018, carpe Diem and good luck

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

sperm donor.

I tried it but was a bit dissappointed – it’s nothing like being a blood donor where you get a nurse that helps you through the process 🙁

bear-uk
    Free Member

Buy my Window cleaning round off me then I can Retire and you can earn some cash. 😀

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Gigolo

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Bike theif?

poolman
    Free Member

Rent a spare room, 7.5k pa tax free.

When i was really broke with my first house i used to buy bikes, clean them up and sell them on. Found it quite relaxing in the evenings in the garage.

Saturdays you could do rental house inventorys, i just paid 180 for about 2-3 hours work.

irc

See if your local NHS has an out of hours doctor service needing drivers. I have a part time job with my local NHS, eveings and weekends on a zero hour contract basis. They offer shifts and I say yes or no.

Usually 7 or 8 hour shifts. Pick up car, check equipment, meet Dr at hospital he is starting at then drive round calls. I use it to catch up on my reading as a typical shift involves 10-15m drives between call then 20-30m waiting while DR is in house.

Good points – PAYE so no tax hassle.
    Easy work.
    Improve my knowledge of local area.
    Zero hrs so easy to fit round other things

Of course not all areas with do it this way. I think the driver is justified as security for medical stuff in boot while car is parked and time savings by Dr updating last call on laptop while driving to next call.

Not sure exact rate but roughly £10 an hour after tax, NI. (with me paying tax on all earnings as my tax code is used elsewhere).

breadcrumb

A lad at work was getting earning a few hundred pounds a week delivering for a local pizza shop (including tips). Free pizza too, so even more saved.

funkmasterp

Hang around parks in the dead of night. There’s bound to be some Lycra or baggies fetishists who’d pay top dollar for you 😉

chewkw
    Free Member

Private investigator? 😀

Hitman? 😆

olly2097
    Free Member

Skimming walls. I’m a.nurse with a cheeky side line in plastering

Ok, so you have to be good (matt and flat) but it comes with experience.

Did one of those courses that plasterers frown upon then reskimmed my whole house and me and a friend now do it on the side. Can make cheeky dollar. If you are good.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

3 things to ask.
    How much time do you have and is it regular time?
    How much extra work can you afford to do and still live/work at your main job properly?
    What skills do you have?

For the 10k and still being able to function properly then you need some skills that will turn a profit from little outlay, everything else is small amounts over time which get in the way of 1 & 2.

I just sold a photo through Roots and Rain taking a massive 2.20, be nice to sell more, even conservativly in the UK you would need to be shifting 20-30 to cover going to a race to take them if your not selling commercial

ericemel
    Free Member

Do you have a room you can airbnb? I am currently covering my whole rent at 1500 pcm by letting a spare room by the garage.

alwillis

We AirBnB the spare room of our flat, and it covers the mortgage most months. I would think that location has a lot to do with how successful it will be- 10 mins from a mainline station in a town with lots of conferences and you will do ok.

downhillfast
    Free Member

Can’t believe no one hàs suggested it yet…. rent yourself out, “professional” gigolo. 😯

wallop

They have – see Quagmire up there

glasgowdan
    Free Member

If your car is big enough, you could do 2 hours 2 nights a week plus 4 hours at the weekend cutting grass and make £10k net a year.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Get your girlfriend to sell used panties
    (see Photoshop thread request)

km79
    Free Member

His girlfriend doesnt wear panties.

Gary_M
    Free Member

When I was a student I worked in Motorola in the semi-conductor testing facility. I worked Thursday/Friday/Saturday nigtshift, 10 hr shift then 2 12’s. That paid very very well but I was incredibly tired all the time – not helped by us having a baby a month before I started 🙂

So something like a Friday/Saturday nightshift on 12 hour shift would see you clear £10k after tax.

MTT
    Free Member

An actor in the adult entertainment industry.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Clearing £10k in a year is a lot. GIG econony stuff like Uber etc does not pay well. A relative of mine works 6pm-11pm at local corner shop that will give you something like £8k gross. Personally I think your £10k target is too ambitious

plyphon
    Free Member

P-Jay – Member

Nope, not even close – there is no tax free limit for hobbies, it’s either a hobby or it isn’t.

HMRC have the power and have in the past demanded users details from eBay etc to ‘discuss’ their business with them. They sent letters to 14000 eBay, Etsy. Amazon and Gumtree sellers in 2015 alone.

It seems the Gov have reduced it to £1000, but it exists:

Tax Boost for Hobby Businesses and Micro Entrepreneurs

plyphon
    Free Member

double.

doris5000

It seems the Gov have reduced it to £1000, but it exists:

that was the plan, but sadly, it didn’t come to pass:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tax/income-tax/government-quietly-drops-ebay-airbnb-tax-break/

Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘Legit ways to supplement main income’ is closed to new replies.