Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)
  • Legit ways to supplement main income
  • Tallpaul

Apart from part-time work in shop/bar etc. Are there any other ways to legitimately earn extra money?

I have evening and weekends available and would like to earn perhaps £10k over 12 months.

Given that I’ll be taxed at the full rate, this appears to be a tall order. But, assume I’ll consider anything, what is out there?

Basically, I’m asking the hive mind to brainstorm for me so i can then progress with shortlisting and enquiries.

Many thanks,

Paul

northerntom
    Free Member

if you did nightshift somewhere on weekends you could probably do quite well. you would be tired though.

Air bnb your current house if you own it?

gobuchul
    Free Member

So will need to earn about an extra £13,000 gross? That’s about 35 hrs per week at minimum wage.

If you are already working 40hrs per week that would be exhausting. I suppose you would be working so much you wouldn’t have time to spend anything.

So unless you can find a very well paying part time job it’s going to be a very hard ask.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I am currently airbnb-ing my spare room and selling use panties on the internet

johndoh
    Free Member

So will need to earn about an extra £13,000 gross?

Potentially more if it puts the OP into a higher tax band.

jekkyl

how’s that working out for you YGH?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Coke Dealer and Brothel Keeper?

You’d get plenty of business from here.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Uber Driver?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Painting and decorating?

If you’re as tall as you say you are, ceilings will be a doddle.

jekkyl

playing the stock market…
    professional gambler…

jambourgie
    Free Member

Work events/festivals? Sell unwanted organs?

ahwiles
    Free Member

weave* placemats out of old jeans / t-shirts, sell them for £30 a pop on folksy.

(*tangle, and staple)

Jamie
    Free Member

You do know there isn’t a prize for the amount of individual posts, Percy?

Edit: Yup. I realise I spelled Perchy as Percy, but I think I prefer it.

perchypanther
    Free Member

You do know my name isn’t Percy, Jimmy?

You do know there isn’t a prize for the amount of individual posts

If there were, I wouldn’t even come close. The 906 page EU referendum thread probably contains more individual posts by half a dozen individuals than I’ve ever made, ever.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Very well actually

matt_outandabout

Write a book?
    Sister in law had a stint writing a few click-bait ’10 reasons to visit South Island’ type things for the NZ tourist board.
    Mystery Shopper. I just had a free nights bowling, burger n chips and £17 pay…They even pay to to visit Greggs (careful you don’t get crushed in the stampede…)

BigJohn

“Home Improvements” is the name of the game. Selling fitted bedrooms, solar panels, double glazing, hot tubs, on 29.9% finance deals, that sort of thing. Or writing wills, selling pension plans. You’ll need a few days to train you up and you might have to go to a sales meeting once a week or so. If you’re good, you’ll earn a lot.
    Basically, google for peoples’ rip-off experiences with the above and contact the rogue firm in question and see if you can be a self-employed rep for them.

Or ask yourself if you want to sink so low.

mechanicaldope

Revive your flagging dj career?

TheBrick
    Free Member

Needs to be a small business. Make something, deal in something, hire or organise something.

Make food and have a food van / trailer.
    Deal in cars or watches.
    Hire marquees or bouncy castles.
    Organise party / events.

Or just sell a skill self employed. What do you do for work? What are your skills? Programmer? Welder? Electrician?

milky1980
    Free Member

I’ve done similar in the past when I was on crap wages. Evening/night shelf stacking was where the money was back then. I worked at a local theatre and picked up the odd shift at Woolworths (that dates it..), particularly being there early in the morning for the paper delivery. Easy to fit in before my main job, brought in an extra £200 a month for basically getting up a bit earlier, opening the store, putting the papers inside, locking back up then going on to my main job!

Dog walker or something like a BetterWare catalogue rep would be doable in the evenings. My mum did the BetterWare thing as she neared retirement age and loved it.

lunge

What about some network/pyramid marketing? Forever Living, that kind of thing? I know some people who’ve made serious money from that.

plyphon
    Free Member

What about some network/pyramid marketing? Forever Living, that kind of thing? I know some people who’ve made serious money from that.

Ahahaha, I almost expected you to finish that with “Sign up here using my code LUNGE420!!”

GrahamS

Forever Living, that kind of thing? I know some people who’ve made serious money from that.

People who have actually made serious money from it, or people that tell everyone on Facebook that they’ve made serious money from it and you can too.

wors

Owner van driver? Pick up a couple of shifts delivering for Parcel force/amazon?

plyphon
    Free Member

So I think there is a £10k tax free limit a year on income from “hobbies” –

So if you sold music and it was your hobby (as in, not your main occupation or income I guess) you can earn £10k a year tax free.

Or make wooden snowmen and sell on Etsy, but claim woodworking is your hobby and you need to shift all these damn snowmen so you decided to sell them at £19.99 a pop so you can get rid of the 500 snowmen taking up your shed.

jimbobo
    Free Member

What skills have you got, and how marketable are they?

Outside of my full time job, I do;

Consulting: working with international companies looking to move into UK markets, earns about £100 a month.

Event work: Registered Paramedic, standing around doing nothing at football/racing/rugby/ music events, £20p/h (limited to weekends due to main job)

Frontline work: Registered Paramedic, 10-12 hour shifts whenever I want, paid at £25p/h. Downside minimum 10 hour shift (usually 12), actually hard work.

in short, to bring in an extra £10k a year, you’re going to have to work very hard and save a lot too. fitting that round your life will be a challenge, and tiredness is a real issue, especially if hours are flexible and you’re chasing the cash.

Easiest gig is probably Uber, but costs could out weigh earnings unless you work a lot of unsocial hours.

Teaching would be my choice… music lessons, tutoring kids in maths/science/English whatever. Assuming you’ve got the skills and patience?

aracer
    Free Member

With 744 pages worth that must be a disappointment to you 😉
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/profile/jamie

plyphon
    Free Member

People who have actually made serious money from it, or people that tell everyone on Facebook that they’ve made serious money from it and you can too.

We had one girl promising U N L I M I T E D I N C O M E if you signed up for her programme of selling healthy living capsules or whatever they were. She got a couple of others involved also. It all came crashing down about 3 months later when no one made any of that sweet sweet unlimited income.

plyphon
    Free Member

Honestly I think the easiest thing to do would be to invest in yourself so you can find a job that pays you £10k extra a year

P-Jay
    Free Member

If it was easy everyone would do it.

I wrote blogs for a MTB site, sometimes it would take me 30 mins and the words poured out as quick as I could type them, sometimes it would take 2 days and I’d still hate it – I got paid £30 for 300 words, sometimes… I did it for a laugh.

How’s your LinkedIn Profile? A Management Consultancy / Research firm used to pay me £200 a hour to chat to people who wanted to move into my former industry. Wasn’t steady work and you’ve got to be careful that you haven’t signed from NDA way-back-when.

Uber driving, forget about it, they’ll bleed you dry – you’re better off delivering for a takeaway. Some people even tip them! It’s always evening / weekend work and a lot of smaller places are looking for drivers since the advent of Justeat et al.

Really though, if its easy work it won’t pay well, most people won’t work all day for £17 an hour or whatever and keep £13 of it, grab a handful of food and head back out for £7.5 an hour and keep £5 of it when they’re already dog tired. It’s far better to try to do what you do all day in the evenings – I assume OT is out of the question or you wouldn’t be here – is there a market for what you do out-of-hours? Ideally a market that will pay over the odds for out-of-hours work?

Jamie
    Free Member

With 744 pages worth that must be a disappointment to you
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/profile/jamie

The post count via pages in one’s profile is not an accurate gauge of how prolific one is.

I believe proper post counts are coming on the new forum.

seosamh77
    Free Member

So if you sold music and it was your hobby (as in, not your main occupation or income I guess) you can earn £10k a year tax free.

just need the 3 million or so plays on spotify and he’s cracked it! i think you’re onto a winner there! 😆

better off playing gigs I suspect!

IHN

This is bollocks I’m afraid. Income is income, and taxed as such.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I believe proper post counts are coming on the new forum.

and then, my friend, it’s game on. 😉

You and me , bro!

Post off!

monksie
    Free Member

Local Market Research company’s are often looking fir people to do evening shifts. It’s telephone work and zero hours contract but it can add up after a few shifts.
    Also, do you have a W H Smith depot nearby? Taking the papers and magazines out to the shops before they open is a good earner. They supply the van and fuel. You get to the depot at 4;30am.deliver papers to shops and pick up returns. finished by 7:30am’ish. . My mate does this (three kids and a divorce has forced his hand) but he’s always knackered.
    Where abouts are you? I know of a position that is going to become available soon. A national tyre company that looks after lease car tyres. Job involves being in the office overnight and answering the phone to people with lease cars that have punctures, blow outs etc. The guy who does it at the moment is giving it up but he spends the first three hours 10:00pm to 1:00am watching films on his iPad and then he gets some sleep until a) the phone rings and he wakes up to answer it to and organise what’s needed or b) gets woken up by the morning shift people at 7:00am. The company has supplied a cot bed, blankets etc. He says that he gets three nights out of five on average where he’s not woken up by the phone. The job is in Stockport. That might work?

joshvegas
    Free Member

Has Herbalife been mentioned yet?

lunge

Nah, actually made serious money. Enough that both him and his wife quite their normal jobs and did it full time. They earn enough to send 3 kids to private school, have a huge house and a nice car.

Jamie
    Free Member

Busking.

P-Jay
    Free Member

plyphon – Member

Or make wooden snowmen and sell on Etsy, but claim woodworking is your hobby and you need to shift all these damn snowmen so you decided to sell them at £19.99 a pop so you can get rid of the 500 snowmen taking up your shed.

Nope, not even close – there is no tax free limit for hobbies, it’s either a hobby or it isn’t.

HMRC have the power and have in the past demanded users details from eBay etc to ‘discuss’ their business with them. They sent letters to 14000 eBay, Etsy. Amazon and Gumtree sellers in 2015 alone.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Jamie – Member
    Busking.

A decent spot in combination some actual talent? could be doable!

2 hour slot, every night, £26 sorted. Not like you’d need to declare to the tax man either. Though you’d probably need to pay the supermarket tax to change the coppers into real money, so probably looking at £30/2hours! 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘Legit ways to supplement main income’ is closed to new replies.