Legislation preventing car dealers offering road tests on PX vehicles?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Legislation preventing car dealers offering road tests on PX vehicles?
  • Just seen this on an ad for a car on eBay. Seller is a dealer, car was taken in part exchange.

LEGISLATION DOES NOT ALLOW US TO GIVE A ROAD TEST ON A TRADE PX CLEARANCE PROJECT VEHICLE EVEN THOUGH IT HAS BEEN DRIVEN IN BY IT’S PREVIOUS OWNER

Do I smell bovine excrement, or have I missed something since I last bought a car?

jimbobo

at a guess, tax?

Premier Icon oliverracing
    Subscriber

Project vehicle says to me that it’s a project or work in progress and not Road legal? Seen this with classics and non road going cars before, what’s the car?

timber

Clutch/turbo/expensive part is knackered, they don’t want you to find out until you’ve paid.

Premier Icon somafunk
    Subscriber

Tell them to use trade plates?

Premier Icon bigblackshed
    Subscriber

And no trade plates.

Half arsed “trader”.

Avoid.

Premier Icon garage-dweller
    Subscriber

Not road worthy?

They can’t then be responsible for allowing you to drive it in that state. I’d imagine h&s legislation could have this effect (letting someone knowingly drive something not fit to be on the road) and there might be specific stuff too.

trail_rat

Trade plates do not
    Cover for a lack of mot unless it’s for a test drive related to the repairs for mot purposes…. Not punters testing it

Only tax and insurance are covered by trade plates

So i reckon it has no MOT or some serious fault that will be obvious when you look at it .

Sold as seen and needs work i guess.

Premier Icon Sandwich
    Subscriber

Trailrat only VED is covered by trade plates. My nephew discovered the hard way on Thursday.

trail_rat

That Depends on the dealers insurance policy. their insurance should be tied to the plates if it’s a propper set up.

As above too many half assed corner cutting dealers round now

Yes, there are laws to stop you driving unroadworthy vehicles on the road, but this seemed to imply that it was specifically because it was taken in part exchange. Just wondered.

I should mention I’m not seriously interested in the car, just came across it on an ad whilst idly browsing. I wouldn’t touch it anyway, sounds dodgier than a dodgy thing.

trail_rat

Basically they are making it clear it’s not coming with warrenty or dealer back up.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Legislation preventing car dealers offering road tests on PX vehicles?’ is closed to new replies.