Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • legend of zelda tears of the kingdom
  • racefaceec90

am definitely looking forward to playing it come friday (have preordered the digital version).

have only watched the nintendo videos of the game so intentionally not reading/watching anything about the game.

have been replaying botw and forgot just how awesome a game it is (i am rubbish at it though).

so who else is looking forward to playing it?

my laser shield return against the guardians has got a lot better for some reason than the last time i played the game no idea how tbh but not complaining 🙂

mattyfez

I’d like to play it, but I’m not gonna buy a nintendo and then buy the game on top…

steezysix
    Free Member

I didn’t even realise it was coming out until about a month ago! So I finally got round to buying a switch and am currently playing BotW for the first time. Struggling a bit with the combat but absolutely love the open world/exploration. Will definitely be picking up TotK when it’s out, seems like they’ve introduced some stuff that will make fighting and puzzle solving a bit more interesting.

wooobob

We’re very excited. Have spent more hours on BotW than any other game ever, and I’m just hoping this new one will live up to its predecessor/our expectations!

It will be interesting playing it having already sussed the combat (and assuming they haven’t changed it too much). That was a bit of a learning curve in BotW which worked nicely as the game progressed. The exploring is the best bit, so as long as there’s plenty to find we’ll be happy!

sc-xc

I played BOTW on my daughters switch, but could never get past those rocks that turn into skeletons… comically early in the game.

I remember completing Ocarina of Time really easily though, must be my eyes getting older.

akira

They seem to have ramped up the options for crazy inventions on this one, stick an eyeball on an arrow, drone arrow!

chakaping
    Free Member

My 10-year-old is very stoked for Friday, yeah.

Drac

A game series I never really got into. Plus I don’t own a Nintendo.

didnthurt

I bought BOTW for myself as I’m a massive Nintendo fan. The kids would just sit and watch me play it, then we took it in turns, then they were playing it without me, then I just sat and watched them. How times change….

I’ll buy the new one for them but will string it out to make sure that they do plenty of chores first 😉

Garry_Lager

How much does a s/h switch go for these days? Might get one for this game – BoTW one of the GoaTs.

Assuming they don’t bollox it up, but I guess their track record with the flagship titles is pretty robust (I’ve not played too many Nintendo games).

funkmasterp

Looking forward to it. BotW was a fantastic game and pretty much ruined some other open world RPG’s for me. Yes I’m looking at you Witcher 3. You can’t even climb over a wall! What’s wrong with you Geralt?

fooman

Zelda is about the only game I’ll make this time to play these days, I’ve been known to buy the console plus Zelda, play it end to end and sell on again.

@didnthurt
    like you my kids would watch me play too the series is like an interactive cartoon and the depth of creativity and content is always impressive. They’re all grown up now and played them all again themselves.

Some people can’t get past the notion Nintendo is for kids – more fool them – though I’ll admit first time I saw Ocarina of Time I though it looked basic, but gave it another go and realised it has more layers than a multidimensional onion.

didnthurt

There’s a couple of types of switch, I’d go for the original, as the lite doesn’t work on the telly. The standard controllers are not the most robust and cost around £70 to replace. There is also a common fault with the fan. Just something to mindful of when buying second hand.

rockhopper70

My lad put hours into BOTW on the Wii U. It’s a pity such a great game came out so late and was unable to save what I thought was a pretty good console. We have upgraded to a switch and probably getting this for that, but the Wii U does still get used for Need for Speed and the various Wii party games.

muddy@rseguy

Ocarina of Time was the game the game that allowed me to forgive my wife for buying me an N64 instead of a playstation. Who cares about Grand Tourismo when you have the Water Temple, Chicken-assisted long jumps, fishing…

Every Zelda game since then has been something rather special, just completing my 4th play through of breath of the wild and im still finding things I had missed previously. Tears of the Kingdom is on order for Friday.

It had better have the hookshot though, I really miss that.

5lab

its worth getting the links awakening remake for those who don’t have it already. its very short-lived in comparison to the more recent games, but awesome fun.

I can’t wait for my copy to turn up, I’m off on a business trip in a couple of weeks and have had to buy a spare switch so I can take it with me without causing a fallout at home with the kids..

RustySpanner

Drac
    A game series I never really got into. Plus I don’t own a Nintendo.

Posted 9 hours ago

Ah, really not trying to be patronising but you need to give it a go.
    It’s gaming on a different level, and I don’t say that lightly.
    Forget the technology, it’s irrelevant. The gameplay and the story telling is unsurpassed.

If you can cope with 2D a SNES Mini with A Link Between Worlds is a great start.
    See if you like the concept.
    Secret Of Mana is on the SNES Mini as well, a Squaresoft ‘homage’ that actually improves on the concept.

If not, a Wii will give you access to some modern Zelda loveliness.

Currently running a Wii U in HD on a 4K TV. Couldn’t be happier.

Some people can’t get past the notion Nintendo is for kids – more fool them – though I’ll admit first time I saw Ocarina of Time I though it looked basic, but gave it another go and realised it has more layers than a multidimensional onion.

I don’t think I could put it better.

Nintendo, and Shigeru Miyamoto in particular make video games that blur the lines between gaming, art and storytelling in a way that I can’t see being surpassed.

funkmasterp

Totally agree with Rusty. I’ve been playing games for over thirty years now. Big fan of all kinds of games and genres. BotW is hands down my favourite game. The graphics arms race loses out to art style, sound design and solid game mechanics every time.

bubs

Wno are you ordering from? Is a physical copy available to order for Friday or only the digital download? My boy is a huge fan of the series.

racefaceec90

I have ordered the digital version myself. Have heard that curry’s were selling the game at a reduced price but not sure if the offer is still there or not?

Windwaker and twilight princess are 2 of my all time fav games along with both now also after replaying it again.

As said above don’t think that Nintendo games are just for kids,you really will be doing yourself out of playing some fantastic games for all ages they are made for 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

I wanted to be cynical but BotW is really a beautiful game from all sorts of angles. It blends whimsical fantasy with perfectly pitched gameplay and adventuring in just the right amounts. I don’t play it but my family do and I’ve watched it a lot. I think there needs to be a push to complete it before getting the new one.

However, most other Switch games I’ve seen are definitely for kids. Not least because of the way they release the exact same game with a few extra characters in it, or a really formulaic copy for yet another fifty bastard quid.. Pokémon, looking at you right now.

funkmasterp

Some of the Indy games are fantastic though. Hollow Knight and Dead Cells are both brilliant, bastard hard in a good way games, that suit the pick up and play style of the Switch. Tried replaying Hollow Knight on the Series S and it’s just not the same.

So tempted to get TOTK even though I’m skint this month.

racefaceec90

game unlocked time to play 😀

racefaceec90

i have to say after playing for about 4 hours now that the game is amazing 😀

am still on the first map part atm.

tartanscarf

I was going to buy it for my son but he’s been acting up in school recently so it’ll need to wait.

Probably end up buying it for myself though 🤣.

Hohum
    Free Member

My 19 year old son is a massive Nintendo fan and he ordered the game from Argos at 4am on Friday.

He is having to be very disciplined though because he has 2nd year Economics exam this afternoon, so no game playing until that is finished!

grahamt1980

Am fighting my temptation to get the game and another switch.

My son has an oled but it will be a nightmare if i am trying to play this on his switch as well as him wanting to use it

wooobob

Ours has just arrived. Might just check everything works and get any updates sorted before the kids get home….

nickc

My son has booked a day off work, just so he can play it all day 😁

5lab

currently sitting at 96% on metacritic. its gonna be special..

funkmasterp

Caved this morning and purchased a digital copy. How bad of a parent am I if I claim not to have bought it just so I can play through it first?

5lab

they’ll spot it on the list of games, surely?

my (physical) copy just arrived.. can’t wait 🙂

funkmasterp

You’re vastly overestimating my sons level of awareness 😂 looks like he’s played the Switch after school and not noticed!

fooman

The only downside is the new Zelda has just 94 minutes of gameplay (and record for the fastest a speedrun has been posted after release)

I’m sure this will come down too.

muddy@rseguy

94 minutes eh?

I know it takes all kinds but I’m really struggling to see the point of doing this in a HUGE open world game.

I mean, how many times during that did they drop rocks on the heads of Koroks? I’ll bet its NONE! Must say I was dancing round the room last night when I did that for the first time (of hopefully many, many bringing me the same perverse level of joy when I hear them say “ooof” when you do it) in TotK…

3hrs late last night was spent just exploring the first area around the temple of time and its associated shrines

Oh, and the eyeball guided arrows are awesome, haven’t tried the keese wing arrows yet but this will come. Hmm, I wonder if can you make a fan arrow? Boulder arrow? Log arrow? etc 🙂

Garry_Lager

Had a quick sesh last night – very good. It seems like BotW 2 in terms of engine / look – I guess that’s a good thing as they pretty much perfected it. But different mechanisms for Link will create new gameplay.

Voice acting is consistent from BotW ie it sounds like something from a school play.

spacemonkey

I’ve struggled for years to get into all things Zelda but just can’t connect with the cutesy narratives. Big respect for them though, and I can see why people dig it.

For any non-Switch gamers looking for something similar, try Immortals Fenyx Rising. Jnr and I played a few hours (via Xbox Game Pass) a while back and it’s very BOTW/TOTK-like. Similar aesthetics, quirky/cutesy/juvenile narrative, and a huge open world to explore, but with a Greek mythology backdrop.

funkmasterp

Fenyx Rising is like BotW with all the ingenuity, inventiveness and charm sucked out. Terrible game in comparison. I’d say Fable is the closest thing to Zelda on other platforms and even that falls way short.

Just finished the training area in TotK and looking forward to leaping off the side and exploring.

fooman

I know it takes all kinds but I’m really struggling to see the point of doing this in a HUGE open world game

I see speedruns as a sport within the game, a bit like some folk like riding their bikes in the mountains all day, some want an hours XC race. Of course they’ll be 100% speedruns too eventually which will take considerably longer.

On BotW I was about half way through and I realised I could sneak into the castle via the moat and went to fight Ganon without all the abilities which was hard work. I then restarted picked up all the powers to fight Ganon again, easier but which I enjoyed just as much. You can cut the game how you want.

funkmasterp

Such a good game. I’ve just been messing around with ultra hand and exploring wells and the depths. Might even be better than BotW.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.