Legal Aid Save A Fat Cat

Home Forum Chat Forum Legal Aid Save A Fat Cat

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Legal Aid Save A Fat Cat
  • Sancho

so if you pay less then that means that the solicitor is going to try get you to plead guilty.
    maybe im missing something but isnt the solicitor supposed to represent you and basically give you legal advice, so why would a solicitor start corrupting the system just because they are on a fixed fee.
    Oh wait you seem to be talking rubbish
    as you have been pleading on here that the wages you get paid are not relative to the fees the company you work for get.
    so if you dont feel youre getting paid enough for a case do you just **** your client over.

oh hang on yes that is exactly what you do. (or in my experience it is)

Junkyard

so if you pay less then that means that the solicitor is going to try get you to plead guilty.

They get the same money for less work as it is afixed fee whatever you do – have you not even picked up on that point

maybe im missing something

Yes you are

but isnt the solicitor supposed to represent you and basically give you legal advice,

Yes they are

so why would a solicitor start corrupting the system just because they are on a fixed fee.

To make money – I think the premise here is people [ all not just legal ones] are motivated by money and may put undue pressure on a client to plead guilty. You are expecting them to work for free essentially knowing they will loose…they might not be that keen to do this.

Oh wait you seem to be talking rubbish

No but you are and you seem confused

as you have been pleading on here that the wages you get paid are not relative to the fees the company you work for get.

he said the fees dont just go to him they pay for other stuff

so if you dont feel youre getting paid enough for a case do you just **** your client over.

No they dont but what you need to do is to use your immense cognitive powers to work out whether a scenario where a lawyer you dont pick who gets the same amount of money [ for less work] if you plead guilty is more likely to be pressurised into pleading guilty

When you have wrestled with that complex dilemma let us know what the legal profession , who you despise for being amoral, are likely to do

I cannot speak for the others but I shall not be replying to any more of your posts

oh hang on yes that is exactly what you do. (or in my experience it is)

Sancho

as a criminal you get appointed a solicitor so how am i supposed to know if they are good or not, shouldnt they all be good and as the law is the same shouldnt they know the law, so why should it matter who represents me. the advice should be the same.
    and yes JY i do understand all of it.
    except Im not an alarmist trying to make people think that our civil rights are being eroded.

cxthompson

My view of the criminal side of legal aid is a farce. Criminals with 100’s of convictions still getting legal aid. Perhaps the government should look at a three convictions and then no legal aid, otherwise we are spending extortionate amounts of money on people who pay little/nothing into the system..

crankboy

Junkyard do you use your 14 per hour to pay for the university buildings admin staff stationary etc ? The legal aid rates have to pay the firms entire overheads. Crankygirl works out that my wage equates to 20 per hour based on an 8 hour day . When I lectured I got 24 per hour .

I do not believe that in reality the current costs are a problem as a percentage of government spend legal aid is minuscule . The rate of pay has been static for 10 years the figures quoted by the moj are simply and knowingly wrong . If we have the worlds best justice system that would be worth paying for . If we have not we should be investing to obtain it.

To be clear about money . I think I am good . Two clients I can think of would disagree.
    I have over 20 years experience .
    I earn about 40k pa . The cost to the state of the work I do is a little over 100.k pa .

crankboy

Sancho at the moment as a person accused of crime and presumed to be innocent you get to chose your lawyer . At the moment that lawyer has no financial interest in forcing you to plead guilty . If you think either of those points are a good thing sign the petition .

Premier Icon stimpy
    Subscriber

Thanks junkyard – I appreciate your signing and even more so your attempt to bring light to the somewhat muddy and unclear thinking displayed by Sancho.

For what it’s worth I think the current system has many, many faults (not least of which is the very poor level of pay when compared to what I earn from private client legal work, but that is beside the point. This is about wholesale removal of people’s rights to access representation).

But just because the current system has very real problems, that’s not a reason to implement something which I believe is fundamentally wrong in principle and in practice.

Again, thank you for signing.

I’ve never a met a solicitor that I’d piss on if they were on fire

I’m a police officer who’s “crossed swords” with plenty of solicitors and legal reps, in fact I’m now a custody sergeant so handling them is my bread and butter. Like any collective there are good and bad but the majority of the ones I’ve met and dealt with are decent people doing something for the right reasons (which isn’t money).

Plenty of innocent people get arrested as at the time it was reasonable to suspect them of committing an offence. there but for the grace of god and all that.

Do you want the likes of G4S representing you as they offered to do it for less money than anyone else?

Junkyard, I’ve got a PhD; education vs income is a pointless argument. Call-me-Dave seems to think we are all “striving” to earn as much as possible but genuinely I dont know anyone who has chosen a career (as opposed to one employer over another within a field) due to the pay available.

Criminals with 100’s of convictions still getting legal aid.

Because (and this is a copper writing this) sometimes they aren’t guilty of the offence for which they’ve been arrested? Plenty of prolific offenders, say burglars, will be arrested because the location, M.O etc of the offence matches their previous. We have 3 burglars in my city who all look alike and live in the same area, they were forever being arrested for “each other”s offences where a suspect has been seen and described. Should the innocent 2 out of the 3 be denied legal advice on the grounds theyve been guilty in the past?!

crikey

Pah!

You should be out arresting real criminals, like that blokes wife who made him go out when he was tired, or those knobbers who are going to destroy the timeline of Dr Who.

..or hora.

Junkyard

Do you want the likes of G4S representing you as they offered to do it for less money than anyone else?

Surely no one wants this

Junkyard, I’ve got a PhD; education vs income is a pointless argument.

I was not trying that tbh I was trying the legal profession get paid too much and all access to legal redress is prohibitively expensive line

I suspect we would have the same issue [ costs]if say healthcare or education was not nationalised

the costs charged are part of the problem

crankboy

Junkyard thanks for signing. Do you really believe that legal aid is prohibitively expensive my last annual service on my Panda cost more than I get paid to do a trial in the magistrates court . We spend on legal aid a fraction of what was spent to bail out the bankers and ensure they could keep paying themselves bonuses.

Junkyard

It depends it is like the NHS if it was all private with NHS as a fee then it would IMHO cost more
    As I siad I would compel you all to do legal aid work
    I assume [ it must be obvious I am no expert] that not all the legal profession do it
    I assume if you can command high fees [ privately] then you cut your cloth to this – large offices in the posh parts of towns for example.
    it may be more cost effective to compel you to all do x hours per week/ year for x fee

then again I think almost every problem can be solved by the state running it

OH yes others are milking the system for more fr sure and contribute far less to society

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Legal Aid Save A Fat Cat’ is closed to new replies.