• This topic has 30 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Nick.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Leg protection suggestion (warning NOT for squeamish)
  • Nick

Whilst minding my own business on Tuesday night I managed to get into an altercation with a fallen tree that had been sawn-off and left poking into the trail.

Two nights in hospital, one general anesthetic (quite nice), 5 days of antibiotics, one bunged up bum (codeine), no prospect of a beer until next Thursday (going to Wembley for semi-final of the cup on Saturday) and no riding for a while means I think I should look for something to allow me to get back out on the bike asap (and prevent it happening again).

What is the best option for general XC and trail riding?

Kuco

Nasty, hope it heals okay.

nedrapier

😯

That’s a proper job. Is that the back of your calf?

scaredypants

if it’s just to protect that injury, football shinnies are cheap, light and not too sweaty

if you’re worried about the next freak impalement I’d suggest that you worry about more vulnerable areas than your shins

Edit

Is that the back of your calf?

not sure you can ever expect another big injury there

cloudnine
    Free Member

Buy 5 different pairs from crc and keep the comfiest/best fitting

Suggsey
    Free Member

Is that your shin or back of your leg? Impressive depth for a shin wound. I know it seems obvious but that’s one of the reasons I avoid the ends of fallen trees and stick outy branches! If it’s really low on your leg you will struggle to get any coverage that you can pedal xc in. I’m not sure that even soft pads ala 661 veggie would stop a spear of wood penetrating.
    In all seriousness can’t you just put it down to experience and carry on or invest in an extra bright headlight bar combo?

Nick

Shin, right down to the fascia, means any crap could have worked it’s way down towards my foot as I rode the mile home (doubled up buff as a bandage) so they had to open it up a bit more to really wash it out. Havn’t seen their handy work yet as its under a dressing/bandage.

Yeah you’re right I could put it down to experience, didn’t have lights on, wasn’t dark, was on my own on a trail I’ve ridden hundreds of times, just one of those things.

Didn’t, hasn’t and doesn’t really hurt as much as you would think.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Buffs make fantastic emergency compression wound covers!
    Honestly I would just put it down to experience if you can although I know any serious injury makes you reasses safety. Good one to send into bike mag to try and wina prize.

nedrapier

so they had to open it up a bit more to really wash it out.

That got me more than the picture!

Odd how some things don’t hurt as much as you’d think, isn’t it?

Banging your head on an open cupboard door, however…

lightning
    Free Member

I always see this kind of thing and think “humans are so much prettier on the outside, than on the inside”

Hope you are soon recovered, that will leave a nice scar to show off to your riding mates.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Aaahhh. Get well soon.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Wow, that looks meaty. 😯

Heal fast.

takisawa2

Pah, that’s just a scratch.
    Run it under the tap.
    You’ll be fine.
    Etc, etc.

oxym0r0n

I feel your pain!

This was after an altercation with a tree stump in N Wales:

Involved a wash out under local and then general surgery to make sure all the bits of wood were out…

robarnold
    Free Member

Are we really going to turn this in to a contest?

My foot after something nasty got in to a cut under one of my toes during a ski season? Prompted two months in hospital, five ops and a MASSIVE scar now it’s all recovered.

That’s me bottom left after I sent it to Nuts magazine to try and get a grand for my troubles! They gave me **** all

maxtorque

^^^^^ Something nasty? what was it, a shark?!? 😉

gogg
    Free Member

I use these. Very comfy.

Raceface Flank

Wishing you a speedy recovery compadre!

epicyclo

robarnold – Member
    Are we really going to turn this in to a contest?

You just won it with your Zombie foot. 🙂

batman11
    Free Member

Nasty gash there mate hope it heals up quick.
    I started riding flats this winter and wanted to protect the old shins! Got the gform ones comfy and strangely enough a few rides in waring them I cracked my shin straight of a fallen trees branch pad was totally fine leg was too just a big bruise to show for it. So for local woods I’d recommend them but would go hardshell for wales and the like.
    Just to help these http://g-form.com/products/pro-x-shin-pads/
    A good luck should find them in the £30/35 mark
    Bats.

lightning
    Free Member

Heavens, that foot is the worst l have seen. I would imagine that is as close to losing it as you could get.

Did the foot work properly after it healed up?

househusband

Oh well, whilst we’re at it – here’s my entry:

Groin met stem in silly bike fall, haematoma in groin then bled into testes overnight and they ballooned to grapefruit size. Eight days off work, couldn’t wear underwear for over a week.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

My mate wins, 4″ of bone missing (last seen heading at 70mph down the M6)
    18 months in a cage, big insurance payout, ex Royal Marine, hard as nails.

Nick

Oh ffs what have I started?

I didn’t even fall off when I did it, initially just thought there would be a little graze and a big bruise.

Even when I realised it would need stitches I just thought I would be in and out of casualty in a couple of hours…

booktownman
    Free Member

@househusband – is that your hand?

househusband

@househusband – is that your hand?

Yes.

And I do, of course, have very big hands! 8)

johnj2000
    Free Member

I can’t even go back and look at that foot it is hideous. Wtf happened?

OP hope it heals soon

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

That four inch of missing tibia and multiple fractures of the fibula makes me cringe. Makes my proximal fibula last year and tibial plateau fracture in 2008 seem pathetic.

And op, as sick as it sounds, I’d of love to see that get washed out in Theatre.

acidchunks

Nick, I don’t have any grim photos to share but in answer to your question, I love my Troy lee knee and shin shock doctors. they don’t cover the whole shin but they’re comfy and I don’t notice I’m wearing them.

robarnold
    Free Member

I can’t even go back and look at that foot it is hideous. Wtf happened?

Nasty infection got in a cut under a toe and killed all the tissue in my foot. That photo was taken after they’d operated to remove all the dead stuff. The maggots went in next!

Heavens, that foot is the worst l have seen. I would imagine that is as close to losing it as you could get.

Did the foot work properly after it healed up?

Yes, apparently I was pretty close to losing it, although they didn’t tell me that at the time, I was smacked off my tits on Tramadol so I wouldn’t have paid attention in any case 🙂

This is what it looks like now, bit of a wonky second toe, but otherwise perfect

saxabar
    Free Member

This is turning into a thread for Ballard fetishists ❗

Nick

Yeah looks like most knee/shin guards would probably finish smack bang in the middle of the injury – they probably would have saved me from hospital but I don’t think they will be very comfortable to wear for a few weeks!

Glad the foot healed up ok Rob!

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Leg protection suggestion (warning NOT for squeamish)’ is closed to new replies.