Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Lefty/Cannondale servicing Lincolnshire Help required
  • awkwardkid
    Free Member

I’ve an issue with the headset on my lefty. My LBS has said its been overtightened and they are reluctant to smash it up as its sitting on a Ti frame.
    I’ve been recommended to take to a Dale dealer but where on earth looks after leftys near me???

Help please

Ta

Brother_Will
    Free Member

Id start by asking a Cannondale dealer http://www.cannondale.com/gbr/dealer-locator and see where to got from there.

sangobegger
    Free Member

Most LBS wont touch leftys as they never see them. They are however really straightforwards to maintain (a total faff tho – just follow the instructions TO THE LETTER) Popping one off the bike is easy enough – take off the top cap on the fork, loosen the top support plate, and the rest should be easy enough. Loads of info on the net to DIY – have a go!

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

Hmmm… Over-tightening sounds unlikely, as they don’t preload like conventional aheadsets. What are the symptoms?

parkesie
    Free Member

Depending on the type of stem and steerer on a lefty it usualy undo the Allen bolts on the upper or lore crown and knock through with a rubber mallet.

awkwardkid
    Free Member

The bottom cap allen key slot has been rounded off. The prev owner has drilled holes into this cap to wrench it on/off by the looks of it. Bit of a bodge job :/ Bearing are knackered so need replacements.
    I’ve found a new bottom cap. just need new bearings. Any ideas?

I don’t understand what you mean by bottom cap.
    Is it the headset bearings or the four flat roller strip bearings you are trying to replace ?

haggis1978

I remember reading a thread on here Oliver where there was a guy from Evans cycles claiming he serviced cannondale forks and was good at it. Might have been a Fatty he was talking about but worth a search anyway.

Garry_Lager

Lefty ‘headset’ is just two cartridge bearings on the steerer and is a trivial issue IME, unless things have changed recently (not currently running a lefty). The fork itself is much more involved, but it sounds like that’s not the problem?

awkwardkid
    Free Member

Sorry if I’ve been vague! The bearings are shot and need replacing but I can’t get at them because of this

I’ve a new cap on order and this should be with me tomorrow I hope.

bland

Hmm I’m lost on that one, lefty steerer on mine was hollow so to take the headset bearings out you undid the two pinch bolts on the crowns and just tapped it out with a mallet. The steerer pulls out an fork just slides off sideways. Then you just tap out the headset bearings with a screwdriver.

What is this cap? I just had a plastic bung. What is it tightening on to?

Headset bearings are only available through a dealer too as no one else other than NASA use that size by all accounts.

dale
    Free Member

that looks like a steerer / conversion.My guess would be to start dismantling from the other end .

awkwardkid
    Free Member

What a pain in the arse! But finally done!
    New question! How the hell do you get to the bearings? I’ve loosened off the bolts that clamp the fork to the head tube. Looks like its a one piece stem and headtube so should pull out right?

z1ppy

have a look ere: stw knows

slackalice
    Free Member

There’s also a Lefty appreciation society type thing on faceache that’s got some service tips, vids and info.

awkwardkid
    Free Member

Cheers lads

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Lefty/Cannondale servicing Lincolnshire Help required’ is closed to new replies.