Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Lefty snowboard question
  • bryan-g-

I have just got my 5 year old a snowboard, he is left handed so does this mean he will be goofy or are some leftys the same as rightys, if you know what I mean.

steel4real
    Free Member

It has nothing to do with being left or right handed.

flyingmonkeycorps

I’m left handed, and I snow and skateboard regular, ie left foot forward. I’m a bit weird though, I do a lot of stuff right handed too.

Duane…
    Free Member

Push him from behind and see which foot he puts forward first to steady him self. That’s his lead foot.

(Don’t push him too hard. His face might not appreciate it)

I’m right handed, ride a snowboard goofy, and ride a bike left foot forward.

sweepy
    Free Member

right handed and goofy here. Give him a skateboard and see which way he stands on that.

mrmoofo

Handedness has nothing to do with it as said … nort does footedness – I kick with my left but ride goofy
    Two best ways of working out which foot forward ….

If you were to slide along an piece of ice , which foot would you lead with?
    Get him to stand , relax and push him forward – gently , but enough so he has to steady himself by putting his foot forward. Whuch foot was used? He leads with this

bryan-g-

Ok cheers all for that.

ads678

It’s also, usually anyway, the foot you start with when walking up the stairs. The pushing thing is the best indicator though.

Although it his age he has time to learn to ride both ways. *Keep switching his bindings round without him knowing, you could up with the next flying tomato!!!!!!

*Probably best not doing this if you actually want him to learn to snow board……..

ocrider

Totally neutral duck stance is the answer. He’ll either find a preference or play around and ride both ways. Whatever happens, he’ll be better than any of us for starting so young!

vintagewino
    Free Member

has he got one of those micro scooters? You can tell by the way they push on those (also the push in the back trick works). Both my kids are goofy (thankfully).

leecasey
    Free Member

I’m right handed and right footed – turns out I am goofy!. It took me ages to discover which foot forward I am.

The best test (IMO) is to imagine how you would slide along a slippery floor with just socks on, kind of like you used to do as a kid.

martinhurton
    Free Member

Throw him a footy and see which foot he kicks it with. I’m left footed and board goofy.

passtherizla
    Free Member

right left handed-ness has nothing to do with it…

Scooter or skateboard is the best indicator. Throwing him a ball will tell you nothing apart from whether he kicked it or not. pushing in the back, works kind of. which foot he puts out when skidding on a shiny floor in his socks is another way of kind of telling.

Get him on it, when people are relaxed they tend to stand with heels under them and toes pointing out a little so I’d start with having his bindings in a duck position with angle of about -9 +9 degrees and see where he goes from there.

ocrider

Get him on it, when people are relaxed they tend to stand with heels under them and toes pointing out a little so I’d start with having his bindings in a duck position with angle of about -9 +9 degrees and see where he goes from there.

That. You already have his snowboard, so set it up duck and let him decide. If you’re lucky, he will adopt to both reg and goofy and if not, he’ll still try riding switch because the set-up will allow him. The rest is irrelevant.

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

The tests don’t always work – absolutely every test going says I should snowboard goofy, but I am definitely more comfortable regular.

AlexSimon

It also seems to be the same way you put your pedals when freewheeling.
    Although I’d appreciate it if anyone had evidence to the contrary.

Shandy
    Free Member

Set the board up duck and let him find out.

flyingmonkeycorps

AlexSimon – Member

Snowboard – left foot forward.
    Bike – right foot forward.
    Stairs – erm, not sure. So possibly either.

batfink
    Free Member

Goofy is best, everyone knows that…..

passtherizla
    Free Member

AlexSimon – Member

I’m right handed, Goofy (right foot forward), free wheel on a bike comfortably with either foot forward but left foot forward feels a little more natural.

aracer
    Free Member

Get him some telemark planks instead. That way you’re not condemning him to being somebody everybody else looks down on.

HTH

skids
    Free Member

The skateboard test will tell you

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Lefty snowboard question’ is closed to new replies.