Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Left my front wheel at Dalby today. 😭
  • Rustychain
    Free Member

Did the most stupid of stupid things today and left my front wheel behind in the main car park at Dalby this afternoon.

I’ve contacted the visitor centre and bike shop – no joy yet. I’ve also posted on the Dalby Facebook page just in case. I would have gone back to look but my car died when I got home. Just one of those days I guess.

Trying here just in case any of you might have been there and seen it… (a long shot I know) 🤞

TiRed

Good luck, I left two fromt wheels at Haldon a few years ago. To no joy. That was an expensive lesson I gave my nephews that day – Hope and Stans 🙁

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Hope someone’s good enough to at least look for you & return it.
    I once did the opposite, got to Hamsterley & realised I’d left the front wheel at home.
    Durrrr.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    smogmonster

Yay, not just me then, I left a front wheel at Dalby in 1996. I never got it back either.

winston
    Free Member

I really don’t get this. What kind of people ride trail centres if when they find a wheel clearly left behind by accident by another mtbiker they just take it?

Wtf are they thinking

doomanic

What kind of people ride trail centres if when they find a wheel clearly left behind by accident by another mtbiker they just take it?

Some people are dicks. Some people who are dicks ride trail centres.

tdog
    Free Member

I left my front wheel at a not so lbs once and went all the way back to find it sitting out front on a London Road.

Hence my paranoia when I get lifts with bike in car looking at axles and wheels every minute.

🤪😂

RobHilton
    Free Member

Wtf are they thinking

Free wheel.

And why not? Free Mandela was rather popular.

senorj

I left one a year ago in Powter How car park @ thornthwaite,nr Whinlatter.
    Mine was still there ,although I was only gone an hour before I realised.
    👍😳

mattbee

On the QECP Faceache page there’s a guy who’s left his front wheel there 3 times! Each time someone from the group has picked it up and posted on there about it and he’s been able to retrieve it…

anagallis_arvensis

I once did the opposite, got to Hamsterley & realised I’d left the front wheel at home.

I once drove from North Shields to Mountain Mayhem in Sandwell only to find I’d forgotten both wheels….expensive error!!

Rustychain
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. Made me feel a little better to know I’m not the only one to have done this…

I’ll call the visitor centre again this morning to see if someone handed it in or if they found it when checking the car park.

Lesson most definitely learnt!

nickjb
    Free Member

Lesson most definitely learnt!

Tie a bit string to the front and back wheels that is threaded through the frame, similar to children’s gloves?

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Rented a cottage in the lane a few years ago. Spent ages cramming my mtb gear in with all our holiday stuff.

Stopped at a garage half way there and realised I’d never put the bike on the roof.

jekkyl

lol at Scott 👏👏

timbog160

Left mine at Llandgegla back in Feb whilst on the way to Barmouth for a weekend. Drove straight back arriving at 8pm – amazingly shop still open due to a broken down car – and somebody had handed it in – man was I happy!

ibnchris

Left my brand new exposure maxxD on the roof of the car and then drove off. Sad times.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I once drove from North Shields to Mountain Mayhem in Sandwell only to find I’d forgotten both wheels….expensive error!!

I got to Bourg-d’Oisans last summer to find I’d left both of the wife’s proprietary through axles at home on the driveway. Cost me a hire Pinarello with Di2 for the week!

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Regarding the leaving parts behind… I used to do that sort of thing. To improve matters I count the objects. It’s hard to leave something behind if you know you have to put a certain number of things in the car.

Regarding forgetting bits to take… I once drove 8hours to discover the three bikes were useless as I had forgotten the small box of axles and pedals.

TheSlider
    Free Member

Wish you good luck Rustychain. Hopefully whoever picked it up will get in touch.
    Such a great day up there isn’t it ? Spent a weekend up there some years ago at the ‘Pace’ accommadation and loved it. Really challenging.
    Did laugh at some of the other ‘mistakes mtbers make though’.

JohnnyPanic

I have on a couple of occasions left the front maxle at home, but fortunately only 20 mins each way to rectify
    I have also driven 30 minutes to the start of a ride, then managed to lock myself out of the car with literally everything left inside it.
    But I think the best one was when, years ago I was white water kayaking in Scotland with a mate. We’d done 2 or 3 days and rocked up at Bridge of Orchy one morning, boats of the roof, got changed, everything ready then couldn’t find the paddles. we each thought the other was playing a prank.
    We’d actually left them by the side of the A82 just north of Fort Bill the previous evening, after doing the lower Spean and Lochy. They weren’t still there of course. We went home. Amazingly, we found out later that some honest soul handed them into the police station in FW.

wayniac
    Free Member

Once left my bike in Dalbeattie car park last thing at night! Didn’t realise till 10 my minutes down the road, never driven so fast on way back and was rather relieved when it was sat there on the car park floor.

Rustychain
    Free Member

Some good news! I was looking on FB marketplace for some tyres on Wednesday night and stumbled across my wheel. I dropped the seller a message and got my wheel back last night. 🙂

The guy claims he bought it off someone on Gumtree, but was happy to hand it back once he knew the history of the wheel.

Happy days!

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Nice to see there are a few good men around, great result!

Blackflag
    Free Member

I was looking on FB marketplace for some tyres on Wednesday night and stumbled across my wheel. I dropped the seller a message and got my wheel back last night.

So a seller had your wheel? Hmmmmm why would someone buy a wheel off gumtree only to try and sell it on through FB Marketplace? Or an i just being too cynical?

timbog160

Annoying but he didn’t steal it he found it, so I guess you could see it as a finders fee!

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

n0b0dy0ftheg0at

Nice to see there are a few good men around, great result!

errrrm how is he a good man? he picked up a left behind wheel and tried to sell it to make money rather than hand it in at reception? if that constitutes a good man, then jesus, im a **** saint

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

errrrm how is he a good man? he picked up a left behind wheel and tried to sell it to make money rather than hand it in at reception? if that constitutes a good man, then jesus, im a **** saint

I took…

The guy claims he bought it off someone on Gumtree, but was happy to hand it back once he knew the history of the wheel

to mean the guy gave the OP his wheel back, no money was exchanged.

Is that not how you read it?

johnners
    Free Member

Annoying but he didn’t steal it he found it

It would probably be theft by finding. The obvious thing to do would be to tell the shop he had it since they’d be a likely point of contact for whoever lost it, and it seems he didn’t do that.

Rustychain
    Free Member

To clarify, the chap gave me my wheel back without anything other than a hand shake.

To fuel the discussion on his integrity, his reason for selling on FB was a bit weak – ‘bought in error – thought it was boost’. Also, the alleged Gumtree seller claimed he’d smashed the rear wheel and was getting a new wheel set. But would you sell a complete wheel with tyre and rotor in that scenario? I’d take those bits off first.

lotto
    Free Member

Once got to the start of a ride, bikes present ✓All required kit present ✓Keys to unlock the bikes from the bike rack, nah left them at the house as nipped back in after packing and left them on the kitchen worktop. Wasn’t a wasted trip though. We were in the Lakes so walked up to a wild swimming spot which was fab.

Poopscoop

Its a 30 minute ride to the natural trails I ride around here.

Got all the way there then realised I’d endo’d all the way there as I’d left my rear wheel at home!

Glad you got your wheel back op.👍

reeksy

I left my heart in San Francisco once… Painful, but at least it cost less than when I left my wallet in El Segundo.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Left my front wheel at Dalby today. 😭’ is closed to new replies.