Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Left handedness
  • Shakey
    Free Member

My wife has recently become fixated with a theory that I taught my son to eat right handed. He is left handed and writes with his left hand but is pretty much ambidextrous.

I am sure that most people eat with a knife in the right hand and a fork in the left even if you are left handed but I want to know if this is just a custom and if left handed people feel uncomfortable doing this.

Also, do left handed people tie shoe laces differently?

ebygomm
    Free Member

I am right handed, but have been told before I tie my shoes left handed – I'm not sure how this is different.

druidh
    Free Member

Shakey – Member

I am sure that most people eat with a knife in the right hand and a fork in the left even if you are left handed but I want to know if this is just a custom and if left handed people feel uncomfortable doing this.

Everyone I know that is left handed (including my wife) holds their fork in their right hand.

Mind you, my daughter is right-handed and does the same. I don't blame my wife for it though.

convert

Both my wife and I (and every girl I went out with before meeting Mrs C very spookily) are left handed and eat with knife in our right hand and fork in left. I find it very weird that you rightys would want to eat that way too – your knife only has to do basic cutting but your fork has to do all the fiddly bits like balance stuff to your mouth so I would have thought you would all want your fork in your "best" hand too.

Being a lefty is way cool – make sure your sprog realises it!

xherbivorex
    Free Member

i'm predominantly left-handed (i write with my left hand) but i eat knife in right, fork in left.
    and i play guitar right-handed too.

druidh
    Free Member

convert – Member
    Both my wife and I (and every girl I went out with before meeting Mrs C very spookily) are left handed and eat with knife in our right hand and fork in left. I find it very weird that you rightys would want to eat that way too – your knife only has to do basic cutting but your fork has to do all the fiddly bits like balance stuff to your mouth so I would have thought you would all want your fork in your "best" hand.

That's my daughters logic!

nickc

I'm left biased. Hold my knife in my left as I find the sawing action easier to control put it in my right hand and food starts going all over the place. No idea about shoe laces though. Can write with both mostly use my right as my left gets squirrelly after a while.

convert

I never thought to check, but you rightys – when you eat "fork only" meals, do you switch to your right?

Shakey
    Free Member

If its fork only I switch!

convert

case closed!

druidh
    Free Member

convert – Member
    I never thought to check, but you rightys – when you eat "fork only" meals, do you switch to your right?

Yep.

I've seen some folk (particularly Americans) cut food using both implements, put the knife down, transfer the fork to the other hand and then use that to eat with.

gonefishin
    Free Member

My mother and sister are lefties and both hold their knive and fork in the conventional "right handed way", although as kids we could tell who set the table. It should be said that my mother writes with her right hand but that is more of an inditement on the education system in the '50s.

Not all things are done differently just because someone is right or left handed. Cars aren't left or right handed and neither are the vast majority of musical instruments (the guitar being the only notable exception).

nickc

Left handed writing was beaten out of me in a Forces school in the 70's

uplink
    Free Member

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous

breakneckspeed
    Free Member

Stuff like using cutlery is mainly down to social conditioning you are taught from a pre-cognitive age to use a knife & fork in a right handed way hence the contradiction of laying the table left handed but eating right handed.
    Much of been left handed is not just using an alternative hand to the majority of people its often a totally different and opposite approach, for something we are often discriminated against – keyboard layout been one example

phoenixfromtheflame
    Free Member

Fork right hand and knife left hand. I wouldnt want to be trying to cut something with my non-dominant hand.

SilentSparky
    Free Member

Another Right handed, right fork holder here. My wife its the "normal" way but if its fork or spoon only its in the right hand…

My Sons Left handed and eats with a fork in his right hand.

Only seems to be a probably at large table meals, where your squashed in and out of sink with the conventional cutlery holders

FoxyChick
    Free Member

I'm left-handed but hold my fork in my left and knife in my right. As both hands are used when eating, just as driving, playing guitar etc, I don't understand why any left hander would change. I'll also add that I'm very left handed and am completely useless at using my right hand on its own.
    A young child learns to eat first with a spoon, which they hold with their dominant hand, then move onto a fork. It is the right-handers who therefore have to change to put the food into their mouth with a fork held in their left hand.
    So Shakey..your son is just doing what comes naturally…using a fork in his left hand.
    It is the right handers who have to re-learn how to eat, when a knife and fork are introduced.

gonefishin
    Free Member

keyboard layout been one example

In what world can that be described as discrimination? It's the layout, you learn to it, same as for every other musical instrument. Granted you might be more predisposed to playing things like Chopin but that's life. I have small hands and I struggled to play a lot of things on the Piano that required a large reach. Is it discrimination because the keys are too big?

timber

Knot tieing is down to which is your lead hand, your dominant one being more dextrous and generally the lead, for example, most people tie a reef knot as left over right and under, right over left and under as most of the work is done with the right fingers this way whilst the left just holds. Spent years at a marquee firm teaching new staff knots and splicing, teaching the 'wrong' handers always took a bit longer as I had to re-learn the knot and do it cack handed 😉

So a leftie will most likely tie their shoe lace in a mirror image to a rightie.

druidh
    Free Member

I assumed he was referring to computer keyboards (like the numeric pad always being on the right)

gonefishin
    Free Member

I assumed he was referring to computer keyboards

That would certainly be another interpretation, yes. 😳

GW
    Free Member

nickc +1 (but ordinary scottish primary school)
    I now write/draw with the pen in my right hand but facing the wrong direction.
    am predominantly right handed now, only things I still do left handed is eat and I whip to the wrong side (footing wise) on my bike.

breakneckspeed
    Free Member

gonefishin – Numeric pads are on the wrong side, it make more natural for me to use my left hand, but ergonomically it is awkward. Carriage returns are also in the wrong place – the discrimination comes from the lack of an alternatives for left handed people, the lack of thought from designers in failing to understand the needs of left handed people and the idea that most right handed people have that been left handed is like been right handed but with your left hand – ‘cause its not

Can you tell this is something of a hobby horse of mine?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I am left/right confused. I eat with my knife in my left hand. My hand writing is appalling left or right handed but I normally use my right hand as I sometimes start writing backwards with my left hand. I used to upset my trombone teacher by setting up my trombone left or right handedly pretty much at random (well that and the fact I have no rhythm.

druidh
    Free Member

Whoever thought that tromboning could be done left or right handed?

hora
    Free Member

I'm lefthanded. I make love with my left hand 😉 and fire my machinegun from the hip lefthanded whilst thinking of Stanza's.

So, IMO lefthanded people are warriors, lovers and poets.

gonefishin
    Free Member

I agree with the Numeric pad thing, it's something that has been pointed out to me in the past by my sister. The return key on a modern computer keyboard isn't something that I can see however (old typewriters, yes). As a right hander I could just as easily say that the Tab or Caps Lock key is in the wrong place. There will always something that will need to be operated with your wrong hand and given that the most common letter in the English language is operated by the left hand I think you're on shakey ground there.

I do agree that there is insufficient thought in a lot of things and I am actually aware of some of the difficulties as the kitchen in my parent's house was/is set up left handed. I remember not being able to use a tin opener as the one we had was left handed and as for my mother trying to teach me how to tie my shoelaces…

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Lefty, fork left, knife right, dessert spoon left. Throw right, shoot right (dominant eye); used to shoot left. Left footed.

hora
    Free Member

I tried shooting left- spent cartridges can be a hazard 😉

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Another Sinister person here – when eating its left hand for the fork, right hand for the knife, whereas when chopping veg etc its left hand for the knife…

also right master eye, right hand shooter, archery, throwing etc. left hand for using computer mouse, and for self relief incidentally.

TooTall
    Free Member

Left handed grown up in a right handed world. I use all cutlery 'normally' but use a spoon in my left hand. I can't use LH scissors or other stuff as that wasn't an option as a kid. Probably best to not over-compensate with the LH gadgets as the rest of the world isn't fitted out the same way.

hora
    Free Member

At Primary school my teacher used a ruler on my lefthand every time I picked up the pencil or reached-for. Idiot woman didn't realise even a small boy has more mental strength than she did.

I reckon don't try and influence his choice of hands- let him be natural. If the bollox about left-right brain dominance is true you are only messing with his thinking/confusion etc.

Bunnyhop

OOh another left hand mouse user.

My Father and Nephew as left handers, used the fork in the left hand and knife in the right.

I can use tools in the left hand, except a saw or hammer.

Left footed too, but write with my write hand.

BillMC

Write left-handed, shoot left handed, box orthodox, kick right footed, struggle with fork in right hand.

ski
    Free Member

Left handed here too

Fork – left
    Hockey – right
    Throw – left
    Cricket – right
    Shooting – left
    Boxing – right, right, right, big left 😉

I reckon don't try and influence his choice of hands- let him be natural. If the bollox about left-right brain dominance is true you are only messing with his thinking/confusion etc.

I agree, just let them do what feels natural

nickc

Oh, this is quite a relief, all you lot are as f**ked up as I am 😀

There are loads of things I do wrong keyboards don't bother me, never had a left hand one, not sure if I'd be able to use it. Comparing with the missus, I tie shoelaces leftie, but play guitar rightie. Tools mostly right. leftie for intimacy…"ahem" 😳

Talkemada
    Free Member

I'm 'left' handed, but use both hands for different tasks. For 'power' tasks, such as punching or holding a tennis or squash bat, I use my right hand. For precision tasks, I use my left. Interesting.

Bert
    Free Member

I am left handed but only use my left hand to write. For everything else I use my right hand. I also use my right foot to play football etc.

ChrisL

I am left handed. When eating I hold my fork in my left hand and my knife in my right hand, but I hold a spoon in my left hand and when preparing food hold the knife in my left hand. I use a computer mouse with my right hand. Otherwise I'm pretty strongly left handed.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Left handedness’ is closed to new replies.