Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • left handed shifting ?
  • walowiz

came off the bike a few weeks ago, on a silly low speed unexpected crash and have largely bu**ered up my right hand for the forseeable.

I don’t see me being able to change gear with the right hand comfortably for quite some time, so am looking at moving the shifters on all my bikes to the left hand.

which at first round of google searches doesn’t seem to be as straightforward as I’d hoped. have just been playing with moving the shifter to the lefthand side of the bar, but the gear mechanism pokes out of the wrong side of the bar and looks kinda stoopid and to avoid interference with the brake the shifter is set at a silly angle, just doesn’t look practical.

Any stwers managed to swap shiters to the left hand ? am wondering if i can open the shifter and transplant the internals of a 10 speed shifter to a 2-3speed shifter that is designed for the left hand side.

two bikes have shimano 10 speed and one has sram 11 speed.

scotroutes

Would it work for you if mounted upside down(shifting levers above the bar) ?

Mister-P
    Free Member

You need a Di2 upgrade

mikewsmith
    Free Member

SRAM 11sp grip shift should work on the other side (and are good for a knackered hand – from experience)

PJay
    Free Member

Would a grip shift & trigger be workable?

ajantom

Lefthand Thumbshifter on friction.
    Seen it done, and apparently it worked surprisingly well. You just had to get used to the gaps for each shift, and you can fine tune it easily.

schmiken

Grip shift on opposite side works very well.

montgomery
    Free Member

SJS have some 10 speed MTB thumbshifters in stock – could be worth seeing if you can mount the right one upside down on the left, or cannibalise two into one.

These ones.

andy4d

Just run the rear cable to the Lhs 2/3 shifter and work on your fitness with just 3 gears 😉

walowiz

Would it work for you if mounted upside down(shifting levers above the bar) ?

will try this tomorrow and see if it works

walowiz

You need a Di2 upgrade

I’m sure i do, but don’t have the funds to do three bikes

walowiz

SRAM 11sp grip shift should work on the other side (and are good for a knackered hand – from experience)

will try this on the cannondale, thanks

breadcrumb

You need a Di2 singlespeed upgrade

chiefgrooveguru

Upside down should be workable – was standard practice with many dropper remotes until recently!

oikeith

A friend with 4 fingers runs his shifter on the left above the bars, he just had to adapt to it.

walowiz

Lefthand Thumbshifter on friction.
    Seen it done, and apparently it worked surprisingly well. You just had to get used to the gaps for each shift, and you can fine tune it easily.

Just read this post from a few days ago – can you explain “thumbshifter on fricton”

can’t imagine how this works…

duncancallum

Shimano thumbies back in the day just was a lever with no steps so you just pushed till it was in the right position

stuey
    Free Member

I Agree with ‘friction thumbshifters’ – but only if your using a low gear count 7/8/9sp
    – imho the spacing on modern 10-11sp makes them much harder to ‘trim’.

cookeaa

Gripshift would be my suggestion if you need a front mech to go with it, mount an older (possibly friction) thumbie inboard…

trumpton
    Free Member

sram gripshifts only work with sram rear and front mechs. Shimano do gripshifts too although they are called something different and I am not sure what gear range they do them in.

Although a gripshift is probably the best option surely the cable routing will be odd and might not work too well. Do European bikes have different gripshifts as they use the brakes opposite to us?

cookeaa

Sram did make shimano compatible gripshift up to 9 speed but, point taken, if you want 10/11/12 speed yes you’re going to need a sram rear mech… But it’s really not so terrible, they do actually work still despite not being all shimanoey…

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘left handed shifting ?’ is closed to new replies.